Steering linkage boot replacement

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know it’s been covered many times, and it’s a simple process. But…. It’s one of those things that may get ignored for a time, as it is a minor repair. Just like changing fluids if greasing zincs, if it’s done on a regular basis, it may help make everything else last longer as well. It took longer to find my jack stands than it did to change out the boot.
Yes, I keep parts like this on my Kubota parts shelf, along with other maintenance items.
DDF947CD-AA20-489E-8C7D-325D0FFCC377.jpeg
952E3DAD-232B-4A1E-AC1C-4CBE63E1F3F7.jpeg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It doesn't take long to change the boot, but if you want to reuse the clip that is OEM by Kubota, that makes the job a real PIA, and you can spend hours just to get them both on.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I agree the clip, or snap ring, is crazy hard to attempt to reinstall. They hold great from the factory, but trying to re-install them just “ain’t gonna happen!” I ended up using tie wraps. I put the snap rings In The parts zip lock bag with the spare boot.
If I use the other spare boot, I’ll tie wrap that one too

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I had found a nice used BX2230 for my brother. One of the tie rod boots was cut. The dealer here said the individual boots were no longer available and tried to sell me the whole tie rod/knuckle setup for around $60+. (For one side only!) Seems odd you can't just by the boots.

Searching "Kubota BX Inner Outer Tie Rod Boot Upgrade" on Ebay will get you choices of complete sets of boots and retainers for both sides for around $25 or less.....delivered. I picked up a "kit" for the brother's BX to be installed this winter. The pieces looked very nice and the price was much much better! Especially when you only need to replace the boots.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
There’s always someone that makes an upgraded part for one you need. I’ve had these boots for years, as a just in case. If I didn’t get a large branch between the axle and steering linkage, the stock one would still be fine.
If I ever use the last one, I’ll just order another pair to put on the shelf

Reactions: 1 user