Steering cylinder seal kit

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
I have a Kubota BX-2350 and am looking for a seal kit for the steering cylinder that is leaking pretty good. Any help finding the kit would be great. Thanks In advance.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I would probably just replace it, if it's not too expensive. The original cylinder was replaced with a new part number, and with a new number it may mean it's an improved design, or it's a different color. They never tell us.

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
I would probably just replace it, if it's not too expensive. The original cylinder was replaced with a new part number, and with a new number it may mean it's an improved design, or it's a different color. They never tell us.
I will try to rebuild it first as I believe they are very expensive to replace.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
The complete cylinder is more than $200.00 plus shipping. I can't remember when, but I recall some writeup where earlier model cylinders had a manufacturing defect of scratches or scoring in the cylinder causing premature wear of the seals. Sorry I couldn't find the article it was a long time back. Sometime around the BX2200 series. Just check & make sure the bore is smooth.

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
The complete cylinder is more than $200.00 plus shipping. I can't remember when, but I recall some writeup where earlier model cylinders had a manufacturing defect of scratches or scoring in the cylinder causing premature wear of the seals. Sorry I couldn't find the article it was a long time back. Sometime around the BX2200 series. Just check & make sure the bore is smooth.
That is great advice, again very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum. Thank you very much.

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
and round and not tapered end-to end, and that the bushings aren't trashed in the ends, also make sure the piston isn't worn, or egg'd. I have seen all of the above.
OMG, Now you have me rethinking rebuilding it. Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I will try to rebuild and definitely check all you have mentioned. Hopefully all goes well, but with my luck I will have all the issues you have mentioned. lol

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
And that the underside of the shaft isn't rusted and pitted.
Thats why mine leaks a little, must have sat outside a lot in its
previous home . Cleaning it up some helped but will have to live with it
unless I can find a decent used one. About 1K new for that little part.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
OMG, Now you have me rethinking rebuilding it. Thanks for all your advice, it is much appreciated. I will try to rebuild and definitely check all you have mentioned. Hopefully all goes well, but with my luck I will have all the issues you have mentioned. lol
If you have the luxury of time, take it apart first, do all the physical checks of the cylinder, and then purchase the kit, otherwise, you might have a kit and a cylinder that has more problems than the kit can cure.

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
If you have the luxury of time, take it apart first, do all the physical checks of the cylinder, and then purchase the kit, otherwise, you might have a kit and a cylinder that has more problems than the kit can cure.
Too late I already purchased the seal kit and it came today. Hopefully will be able to take it apart soon and inspect.

gold69charger

Equipment
Kubota BX2350
Oct 28, 2021
That is the same one I saw to do the job. Thanks for posting it.
UPDATE: found time today to take it apart, inspected. All looked good, so I installed the new seals. It looked like someone had recently replaced the seals and installed the inner seal backwards. Drove it around and so far looks good, no leaks! Fingers crossed! Again thanks all for the help.

Reactions: 1 user

L4400 H Don

Equipment
L4400 HST Frint Loader/Finish Mower(2)Grader/Tiller/Rake/Tree Spear/Root Cutter
Aug 13, 2024
Havana Florida
Guess I'm missing something, but what does a cylinder for a L4400 have to do with the OP's question related to a BX tractor?
I was just making the comp to the sink of repair vs replacement costs to the gentleman…. Why ? Does that bother you?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was just making the comp to the sink of repair vs replacement costs to the gentleman…. Why ? Does that bother you?
Play nice.
It ruffles members feathers when new members dig up old threads and don't follow along with the original story line.
Going off book from a BX to an L is a huge leap, But I get your point.
If rebuildable you can save some serious coin.