starting problem L245DT

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
I changed the fuel filter on my L245DT and she won't start. I always make certain that the tractor has warmed up to operating temp before I begin the process. I pre fill the new filter ,remove the old and immediately install the new filter. After a failed attempt at starting I bleed all of the injectors by cracking them loose where the fuel line connects to the top of each injector as I turn the tractor over making certain that there is good fuel flow. The engine starts and stalls immediately. I'm sitting here scratching my head and out of ideas.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Never prefill the filter, you're just sending unfiltered fuel through the system, install new filter and open bleeder at the injection pump to remove air.

So, start at the line going into the injection pump, there should be a bleeder screw on the end of the fitting, bleed all out of there first.

Set the throttle to high, crack (at the same time) all the lines at the injectors, and bleed them all till there is no signs of any bubbles.

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
Thanks for the reply Wolfman, I'm still stumped. After making certain that I had all the air out I started the tractor, it barely runs and doesn't want to accelerate when I throttle it up. Sounds like it is running on two cylinders. So I pulled all of the injectors and cleaned them with solvent and some air pressure, Blew all the injector lines out and made certain that the fittings at the top of the fuel pump were tight. The fuel system is clean as a whistle. What is baffling me is I ran it up to my garage yesterday morning to change the oil and fuel filter it ran great. After servicing it this started like a freakin gremlin crawled into it when I wasn't looking.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Just keep on bleeding it and trying, but let your starter cool off each time. My L245DT was just as troublesome - took a bit to get running, even though it seemed all the air was out, and the L245 I just resurrected gave me about 30 minutes of grief in bleeding the lines. I got fed up and took the tank cap off, put my hand over the tank inlet with the compressor wand and gave it a good puff of air. The positive pressure pushed the air out with a copious amount of diesel, but after that it was all good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can get it running crack the injection line one at a time and see which dead cylinder it is, could have gotten some trash in the injection pump, not the first time of heard of that. ;)

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
I loosened the 17mm at the top of each injector and turned the engine over long enough to feel certain that the air in the lines is gone. That would make me think that the pump is working correctly. If any of these fuel lines was only displaying a dribble during the above test I would consider the pump but they all have a good amount of fuel squirting out while I'm cranking the engine over.
As I mentioned in my starting post, I ran the tractor up up my garage and let it coming up to operating temp. than I changed the engine oil and filter. Before I touched the fuel filter I started the engine again and made sure the pressure was up and no leaks. Than I changed the fuel filter using all of the air bleeding techniques mentioned in the responses that I have been getting on the forum.

Lenny

Oct 11, 2015
Newton,NC,US
Nothing has worked so far. This morning I got the FEL off and got the tractor into my garage. Going to go thru the fuel system again inside the building.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the injectors, pull one injection line and connect it to the injection pump off to the side, so you can connect an injector to it, no need to worry about the top nut and line (over flow).

Tighten the fitting on the injection pump side, but leave the line a little loose on the injector, set throttle to high, crank engine till line is bleed then snug up fitting on injector, use a piece of cardboard (NEVER YOUR HAND) to see a spray pattern, if it's weak or non existent you can pull the injector apart noting the direction and arrangement of the internal parts, clean all parts with carb or brake parts cleaner and a tooth brush (DO NOT USE THE WIFES).
Reassemble and Retest.

Last edited:

db34803

Equipment
L245DT, FL1270, L1700 loader, IMCO 6' rear blade, 48" rotary mowing deck
Feb 1, 2015
Ashland, OR
I know this is an older thread, but for all you vintage L245 owners that are having issues, here's what I know.

We have a L245DT that has been in the family from the getgo (1977). I just changed the fuel filter and had to bleed the fuel system to get it going again. I followed the routine outlined in the manual and after bleeding the system it fired right up. Here's the page from our manual that outlines the procedure:
L245 fuel system manual page.jpg

The air vent plug on on top of the fuel filter mount takes a 14mm wrench to loosen. Do this one first.

The air vent plug at the other end of the line going to the fuel pump(?) takes a 12mm wrench.

I don't know if the thumbnail posted can be blown up to read it. If not let me know and I'll send you a copy of the image.