Starlink & myQ garage door opener

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Hey orange freaks! I'm having some trouble connecting my door openers (Chamberlain) to the interwebs using the myQ platform. I've searched a little and tried some hints but no luck. I've tried 2 different phones- Droid and iOS.
Anyone out there with Starlink done this successfully? My generator, smoker and thermostat all have no issues connecting. Tech support was of little help.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have the myQ system and there is an internet gateway that you have to purchase. I assume you have that. It has been some years ago and it is hooked into the wireless network. I don’t recall having any issues with connecting it.

I do know that the newer high speed 5G interne connection on my phone has to be turned down for some older devices (iRobot) to connect to the internet at a separate location that has no internet connection other than the cellular connection when we are there. That is something like “maximum compatibility” on the iPhone setting. Perhaps the myQ needs to connect with lower (4G) speed and the Starlink connection is too fast. I recall reading that many new wireless routers can be set to have both speeds by making two different networks. Maybe ask Starlink if that is possible on their router or add another slower router somehow?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One other thing I just thought of…
I tried to use the garage door power on 24 v power instead of using the 120 volt power cord since there is no power plug near the garage door opener.

That would not allow me to see the garage door opener through the myQ system so had to go back to the 120 volt power through an extension cord.

That tidbit is hidden somewhere in the garage door opener installation manual but it is not that clear

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have the myQ system and there is an internet gateway that you have to purchase. I assume you have that. It has been some years ago and it is hooked into the wireless network. I don’t recall having any issues with connecting it.

I do know that the newer high speed 5G interne connection on my phone has to be turned down for some older devices (iRobot) to connect to the internet at a separate location that has no internet connection other than the cellular connection when we are there. That is something like “maximum compatibility” on the iPhone setting. Perhaps the myQ needs to connect with lower (4G) speed and the Starlink connection is too fast. I recall reading that many new wireless routers can be set to have both speeds by making two different networks. Maybe ask Starlink if that is possible on their router or add another slower router somehow?
One of my thoughts was to get the ethernet adapter for Starlink and piggyback a better one to it. Going to do that anyway so I can have control over my subnets and security. Have not gone that far yet. Guess that's on the shorter list now. Lol.
These openers have the gateway built in. No separate device. Maybe the external gateway would have been better.
Tech support claimed that it can't be done because the router doesn't allow for port forwarding. I find that hard to believe they require that. And, if they do, why do none of my other devices need it?

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
From glancing at the myQ information I noticed that it is on the 2.4GHz speed so I think that is what is the problem. I think you will need a network connection that is capable of running that speed.

At least that’s what fixed my problem with my Roomba and I am just “sure” that it is your problem too since I am such a tech wizard … NOT

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
If you go into the settings of your starlink it is capable of splitting the signal into two seperate networks on both frequencies. It already uses both networks by default using the same name allowing older devices to connect, however I have a few older devices that for some reason are confused by it and have connectivity problems so I had to split it.

It also could be you are having trouble with the signal reaching to the garage. My starlink router doesn't have nearly the same reach as my old linksys did when I lived in town. If you get the ethernet adapter I'd imagine you could then use a better stronger router, or starlink has mesh routers available to act as relays boosting the signal. Just an fyi tho, they are on backorder.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thank you both for the replies.
I am using the 2.4g band. The myQ doesn't even show 5g networks and I am definitely connecting to the correct SSID. Signal strength is good. The router is only 15 feet away- on the other side of the wall. I did the standard troubleshooting things like cycle power, clear settings, etc.
I believe the issue is specific to Starlink. It's not the standard issues folks run into. Like I said, I have numerous other devices connected and they were quite simple. @will721 - you have yours connected to the Starlink? Is it the gen 1, 2 or 3 router?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had the same issue!
The fix is very simple, get the Ethernet network adapter for the Starlink router and attach a simple router to that connection.
Tada all fixed.
I was pulling my hair out as it quit working when we switched from Starlink Version 1 with a remote router to Starlink version 2 with several mesh networks and didn't need the remote router anymore.
Out of the 50 some odd devices, MYQ was the only one that wouldn't work.

Note: Give the new router a different IP than the normal stock IP!
I also made that a closed network so no other devices can see it or connect to it.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm not using Starlink but I do use myQ (on a wireless router/cable modem, android phone) with a Chamberlain wifi opener. I had a problem when, as I recall, I changed email addresses on my account. I had installed an updated version of the myQ app and tried to use a different email address when I configured it. I had to call, yes on the phone, to get them to fix my account. No problem since then. I wish I could remember the exact details, but I remember getting extremely frustrated before I called tech support.

Maybe this'll give you a hint. Has it ever worked? I assume you've checked that the router recognizes the openers. You do have to use the 2.4g band, unless they've recently changed the hardware.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thank you both for the replies.
I am using the 2.4g band. The myQ doesn't even show 5g networks and I am definitely connecting to the correct SSID. Signal strength is good. The router is only 15 feet away- on the other side of the wall. I did the standard troubleshooting things like cycle power, clear settings, etc.
I believe the issue is specific to Starlink. It's not the standard issues folks run into. Like I said, I have numerous other devices connected and they were quite simple.

So let me understand. You have Starlink, you have multiple other devices that connect just fine. MyQ does not. And your logic is that the problem is Starlink? No the issue is the way MyQ needs to connect with their own servers, and they dont like something about your Starlink setup. I have both of these devices (Mind I have my own wifi router/server connectetd to Starlink business) and have no issues connecting. I bet if you swap to a proprietary router it would solve the issue...but that doesnt mean the real problem is Starlink. Its just the easiest solution.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hey orange freaks! I'm having some trouble connecting my door openers (Chamberlain) to the interwebs using the myQ platform. I've searched a little and tried some hints but no luck. I've tried 2 different phones- Droid and iOS.
Anyone out there with Starlink done this successfully? My generator, smoker and thermostat all have no issues connecting. Tech support was of little help.
Starlink or myQ tech support?
I think jchonline is right, it's more a myQ problem than Starlink.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Well, @Jchonline and @PoTreeBoy , I do indeed believe the issue is Starlink. Their residential routers are essentially locked down. You cannot reserve IPs, create vLANs, configure security settings, create port forwarding rules and a host of other things. So, it truly depends on how they have intended for the connection to be established. If myQ requires a different config, you can't do it. None the less....
I snagged a wireless router from work, along with a 5g WAP and set up my own LAN in the garage to bypass everything Starlink. Essentially what @North Idaho Wolfman is suggesting. I enabled only the 2g on the wifi router with WPA3 as recommended by their "tech support" people previously (can't do that with Starlink) and forwarded all traffic for ports 80, 443 and 1194 unrestricted to the wifi router. I can stream video so I know the speed is good. Cleared all the settings from the opener (wifi, remotes and all). Still no luck. Now I'm beginning to think it's the opener itself. I have another one on the way for the shop bay door. I'm thinking (hoping) that I can plug it in before installing it and test that one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well, @Jchonline and @PoTreeBoy , I do indeed believe the issue is Starlink. Their residential routers are essentially locked down. You cannot reserve IPs, create vLANs, configure security settings, create port forwarding rules and a host of other things. So, it truly depends on how they have intended for the connection to be established. If myQ requires a different config, you can't do it. None the less....
I snagged a wireless router from work, along with a 5g WAP and set up my own LAN in the garage to bypass everything Starlink. Essentially what @North Idaho Wolfman is suggesting. I enabled only the 2g on the wifi router with WPA3 as recommended by their "tech support" people previously (can't do that with Starlink) and forwarded all traffic for ports 80, 443 and 1194 unrestricted to the wifi router. I can stream video so I know the speed is good. Cleared all the settings from the opener (wifi, remotes and all). Still no luck. Now I'm beginning to think it's the opener itself. I have another one on the way for the shop bay door. I'm thinking (hoping) that I can plug it in before installing it and test that one.
Yea my access point wouldn't work either, I just ended using an old net gear router.
The problem is with Starlink, I've talked with the head engineer several times about such issues.
If I remember right the simple answer is MyQ is using old tech to make the connection and Starlink does not like it.
The complicated explanation why it doesn't work was way beyond my pay grade. 🤪 o_O;)

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jeepers - i haven’t figured out how to save a regular radio station on my truck…. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
My generator, smoker and thermostat all have no issues connecting.
Attached garage? Generator & smoker outdoor devices? If garage is seperate building with steel roof, siding and doors, you may need a repeater in garage with an outside antenna.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Attached garage? Generator & smoker outdoor devices? If garage is seperate building with steel roof, siding and doors, you may need a repeater in garage with an outside antenna.
Yea, repeaters don't work either, I have those too.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
This one is attached. The generator is on the far side of the garage from the router. Smoker is further than that. It's all a moot point, because the TP Link router and 5g WAP were both in the garage when I tried it last night.
Starlink basic does not allow for port forwarding. This, as I'm told, is one thing the myQ requires. But, the TP router is configured to allow all ports to forward. I even turned the firewall off.
I'm going to see if tech support is any help now that I have a fully configurable router.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
OK, I'm convinced :). My experience was that myQ is not totally plug-and-play either. Their tech support was good, but it seemed strange that I couldn't do what I needed to do on-line.

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
No issues with my Starlink and MyQ. No special add on. Only potential glitch is MyQ is 2.4GHz only. You need to disable the 5GHz side briefly while it makes all the connections. BTW, I'm using an Eero mesh with a direct line from the dish/power supply. No Starlink router or ethernet adapter. Starlink router, if used, likely needs the same steps.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No issues with my Starlink and MyQ. No special add on. Only potential glitch is MyQ is 2.4GHz only. You need to disable the 5GHz side briefly while it makes all the connections. BTW, I'm using an Eero mesh with a direct line from the dish/power supply. No Starlink router or ethernet adapter. Starlink router, if used, likely needs the same steps.
You're running the version 1 Starlink.
It didn't have the same issues as version 2.