Stabilizer of Kubota 2660

WonkyDeer

Equipment
BX2660
May 5, 2024
Floyd VA
So I’ve replaced a bent stabilizer on my 2660 once already, and I have another badly bent one that also needs replacement. I just have no clue as to what I can be doing that would turn these things into pretzels. Any advice? I’m thinking it must happen when I am using a discer, and maybe when backing up with the discer still deployed? Must admit, I’m not too sure what these stabilers are even there for. Please help!

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
So I’ve replaced a bent stabilizer on my 2660 once already, and I have another badly bent one that also needs replacement. I just have no clue as to what I can be doing that would turn these things into pretzels. Any advice? I’m thinking it must happen when I am using a discer, and maybe when backing up with the discer still deployed? Must admit, I’m not too sure what these stabilers are even there for. Please help!
A stabilizer with a slender shaft will be strong when in tension, i.e. pulling but very weak in compression, i.e. backing up. The stabilizer to use a technical term is BUCKLING
You need to be raising any implement on the 3 point hitch when your stabilizer is of this style.

"In engineering, buckling is a failure mode characterized by a sudden failure of a structural member subjected to high compressive stresses, ."

Dave

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Stabilizers, whether turnbuckle (which is what you have) or telescoping, is there to keep the implement from swaying side to side. The proper use is to install the implement, raise it off of the ground, position it where you want it, then adjust the stabilizers until there is very little (1/2" to an 1") of side play. Do not tighten them down banjo tight (or other damage can happen- stretching the stabilizer). This procedure will keep the implement stationary, as well as protect your turnbuckles. When the implement can move side to side, it is compressing the turnbuckle and damaging it.
In addition, do not use the disc while backing up! That's not how the implement is designed- it's intended to be pulled, not pushed- and it can put severe stress on the lift arms and stabilizers. I build telescoping stabilizers for tractors professionally, so I see lots of things. That includes numerous BX tractors with bent lift arms- which happens when implements like box blades and discs are used while backing up.

103493773_2115239118606460_3297363650716611798_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Good news is you've ONLY bent a stabilizer ! You can EASILY destroy the rockshaft, $$$$$$ !!
Never ,ever go backwards with ANY 'ground engaging' equipment on the ground.
Stabs need to be adjusted to prevent the implement from hitting the tires( bad news...) and to limit the sway of it. Be SURE to check adjustment when fully up as well as down on the ground !! There's some funky geometry with 3PH operations ! You WANT a little slack and every implement isn't the same adjustment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t care for turnbuckle stabiizers. Telescoping stabilizers are stronger and more convenient, IMO.

(and I have a brand new set for sale I don’t need that came with some equipment I bought.)