Solution to mowing on a B6000, its works great too!

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi all
nice to be back after a few weeks of mad non stop work.
Having trawled through a lot of threads here on the subject of mowing grass, here is my solution to large scale mowing in our garden and paddocks.
As you may all know, we have a nice little B6000 with a small range of extras such as loader,backhoe etc , but i've been on the lookout for a decent mower (cylinder based) for cutting a large flat area to a reasonable finish.

I didnt really want a rear 3pt topper or flail (or any rotary blade) tobe honest as we have a suitable rideon mower that does the same job.
Anyway, since the B6000 is at the lower HP end of the range of the B
series tractors there are not many options to be honest, let alone any hydraulic powered units, well until i found this little gem.
It is a huxley TR66 hydraulic reel mower for compact tractors, (also know known as a Sisis TR66 )

It has a 66" wide cut by using three 24" cutting heads and at 72.5" wide in transport mode it is perfect for smaller machines, weighting in at 465 lbs (210Kg) it is well within the lifting capacity of the B6000 rear end hydraulics.
Approx 3 acres per hour cutting at 6mph.

I purchased it via ebay on a private off ebay sale though for £300, which , to be totally honest was a real bargain given it great condition overall and that the blades/cylinders etc were all very good also, no hyd leaks etc and included its own PTO gearbox and hyd pump.

There was another bonus with this purchase in that the pto gearbox and pump are generic and can be used on other pieces of machinery such as a backhoe etc, or anything else neading a pump and geabox taken from the pto shaft.

Now then the the sharp eyed guys out there might be thinking , B6000 & anticlock PTO = major hassle and more extra cost, not so. The gearbox can be run either way up depending on application and tractor fittment and the pump flow direction is changeable by simple reversing of several parts of the pump as standard from the factory, so to be compatible with most applications you may encounter.

I drained the fluid down, removed the pump reversed the pump body and the inner section and thats was it,pump back on and oil refilled, job done 1 hour max.
Front end was very light so made a custom weight bar and put on approx 80kg worth of weights (from an iseki) , that did the trick.

fitted on the b6000 in minutes and its all working nicely, spent a little time reading the manual and then making sure the whole setup was adjusted correctly for our appliction, what more can i say otherthan , i'm well pleased with it.
It leaves a fantastic finish to our lawns and paccocks and in a fraction of the time of our other machines.
I've found it is best to use in 1st gear (high range) at half to 3/4 throttle, although second gear is fine but you can get a small amount of ribbing if the grass has got a bit longer , but if cut regular it is not an issue .

Anyway , thats my little bit of "living with a B6000" again and hope its of some help to other b6000 users or any other compact user to be honest.
The manafactures manual does give fitting specs for a lot of compact including the kubotas etc especially the B7100 etc as standard.
heres some pics, i may repaint it later to match the b6000.

On a separate note, i had also made previously a custom fit PTO guard out of thick steel which has cat 1 lugs on either side for my backhoe subframe to hook slide onto an also integrates in to the side mounts on the rear axle hosuing to really beef up the rear end, theres no flexing in that area now....

rob

Attachments

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Great Solution!!

I remember to have the idea to buy these kind of 'cylinder-mowers to push', place 3 or 4 in line and in front of the tractor... :rolleyes:

How big is the lawn you have to mow? If you only use 1st or 2nd gear it will take while... :(

Good job. I like it when somthing is doen not out of the box!

carl

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
weighting in at 465 lbs (210Kg) it is well within the lifting capacity of the B6000 rear end hydraulics.
Very nice looking machine and it looks like it cuts very nicely, However I believe that the max rated load capacity for the 3 point lift on the B6000 series machines is 300 lbs and while it may be true that the hydraulics can easily lift the weight you may want to be careful when driving the tractor with the mower assembly in the lifted position as you may wind up damaging your rockshaft or lift arm mounting points, 465 lbs is 155% of the max rated lift.

Val

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the replies so far guys, it does cut very well.
we have approx 10 acres of lawns with assorted obstacles etc, and another 10 acres of semi-flat paddocks, by using this mower now, we have cut down our mowing time to well under half over the rideon rotary machine.
Val, i am not sure about the 300lbs to be honest as all my specs etc state 795lbs , and i can confirm that when lifting this item on the 3pt , it lifts really easily with no strain at all, it does make the front a bit lighter but thats to be expected on this sort of machine which is allready front light.
thanks
rob

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Hi Rob, The manual I have for the B5100-B6100-B7100 show the lift capacities 3 point lift for the B5100 and B6100 to be 300 lbs and the B7100 to be 400lbs, The actual weight of the B6100 tractor is 860 lbs.

I could be wrong but I think the B6000 and B6100 are very similar machines in weight and capacities

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi Val,
i am pretty sure i'm correct on this one, i say this as on one of my offical kubota accessorie sheets it has lots of kit including a rear 3pt set of pallet forks.
rated max lift on a b6000 as 800lbs inc payload and 850lbs on the 7100 .
so if kubota are listing those figures on their spec sheets it must be fairly accurate.

thanks
rob

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Rob,
Its your machine and I am not going to argue with you, I was merely pointing out what is written in the Kubota Owners Manual for the B5100-B6100-B7100 Machines. My intent was not to create an argument or heated discussion but to possibly help prevent any damage to your tractor

I will cite my references

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/

go to line showing manual for B5100-B6100-B7100 PDF
Open manual and go to Section 2 pages 2 and 3 The Superior Limit of Instrument.

It will give you the max recommended sizes and weights for implements and attachments for the 3 listed tractor models.

Your B6000 weighs apx 860 lbs but if you think you can hang 800 lbs safely on your 3 point hitch then that is your decision and I will not continue this discussion any further.

As I said in my original response, Very nice looking tractor and setup, Wish you the best of luck with it.

Val

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the reply Val, no probs , i wasnt argueing either moreso just curious as to the differing specs for the lift.
I appreciate what you are saying about the weight etc,thanks for your help anyway.
I think i will need to look into it deeper though just for my own peace of mind...

thanks and have a nice day Val.

rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
just a thought, maybe service dept Vic knows .

rob

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Very nice set up. I like it

Gives me some ideas for my L175 when I get bigger property. :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The 2WD B6000 weighs 860, the 4WD weighs 1050 (tractorbynet).
If it works, it works-

cappys tractor

Equipment
B6000 and Husqvarna mower (hey, it's orange too!)
Jan 18, 2010
Cape Cod, Ma
Rob:

Nice mower set up. Your rear tires. Is that on the original rims? I am trying to figure out how to switch my R-4's with some turfs without breaking the bank.

I have a 4WD B6000 so I have to keep the tire aspect ratio the same. Sort of confusing.

OH MY GAWD,..... I found your other post on this subject. how confusing is this!!!???

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
hi ya,
they are not the original b6000 items but they are original kubota rims with the original tyres.
I wanted a set of turfs and spent ages looking without any success until late one evening these came up on ebay. a set of 4, 2 rears and 2 fronts all low on tread but hey, not a problem on grass.
as a bonus the seller was local to me also, they were fitted to a b7100 and the rears had a much better hub setup than my originals ,so it was a win win situation for me potentially.
won the lot for £100,and i've had no complaints at all with using them.
the rears are 13.5" wide on a 15" dia rim and are excellent for us as our ground can be very soft and these float over without leaving a mark, better still they are not that heavy either on the axles.

if you see a set, get them, if i saw some more i would.
i will get the full sizes tommorow.

rob