Solution for stripped hydraulic fitting

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I wanted to share this because I know :rolleyes: I'm not the only dumb ass that's ever done this. Two days ago I was replacing a hydraulic hose on the b2910 and managed to strip a JIC 90 that's welded to the cylinder :eek:. Only options are replacing the cylinder at $250 or cut off old fitting and weld on a weldalet and get an IPSxJIC 90. I searched everywhere for a weld x JIC fitting the similar to what's on there now with zero luck. Maybe someone has an idea?

So I scratched my head, drank a beer, knowing a big snowstorm is coming in 24 hrs, I broke out the Xpando thread sealant. It's in powder form that gets mixed up with water to a paste consistency. First you need to clean the male and female threads with alcohol to remove any oil. Then I panted the threads and the face of the fitting along with the seat inside the hose. When the water evaporates the Xpando expands and hardens like cement. I threw a 500w light on it to keep it from freezing and aid in curing. 24 hours later she's good as new, good for 5000 psi. I've never used it on anything more than 250 psi so I was nervous, but it worked :D

Attachments

Last edited: