Skid Plate For Subcompact Kubota Tractor ( BX2380 ) - Driving Through Snow

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Hi everyone,

Hopefully a good question..... New BX2380 arriving soon, hopefully in a few weeks. I ordered the tractor with no lawn mower attachment, so the bottom will be exposed. I am wondering if I'm being too paranoid about driving in say a foot of snow on the driveway, from time to time. Am I at risk of getting that plastic propeller broken ? ( the propeller that is exposed on the bottom of the tractor ) I know driving through brush, etc, is risky, but what about snow ? do you think there's an issue ? I'm thinking at times you may drive over piles of snow that you've created, and may drive over it, or back up over it..... any thoughts on this ? Thanks for your advice. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would definitely recommend some kind of skid plate/under armor.

You can make your own if possible.

BxPanded has the one skypros linked.

Bro-tek has one in 2 or 3 parts that can be used with the mid-PTO.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I would think yours WILL have 'protection'. My BX23s came with a factory installed' guard. If the dealer has a tractor, simply look and see. You'll know real fast when you do your first HST oil change !!!

GordonE

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 21, 2017
Carleton Place ont canada
I own a BX2380 and I did install a skid plate similar to the ones already shown. I have to remove it when using the MMM but it is less than a 5 minute job to remove or install. Replacing a broken fan is a bit of a job and the skid plate provides some level of peace of mind.

I would definately get a skid plate.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I would think yours WILL have 'protection'. My BX23s came with a factory installed' guard. If the dealer has a tractor, simply look and see. You'll know real fast when you do your first HST oil change !!!
Can you post a picture of yours under your BX23s? I have a BX23s and i dont see any guard on mine.

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
A skid plate is cheap insurance when you consider the cost of repairs! It only takes one stick to ruin your day!

Reactions: 1 user

7milesup

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, 54" MMM, 48" King Kutter, Fabricated land plane (it is awesome!).
Apr 3, 2017
Northwest, WI
I am late to the party here but I will second everyone that is saying to put a skid plate on. I bought my BX2380 in 2017 and did not have a skid plate. Went and played in the woods and it did not take too long and a stick ripped all my HST fan blades off. Since I fabricate "things" I made a nice aluminum diamond plate aluminum skid plate. I will note that I replaced the HST fan myself and it was not fun.
Fast forward to today. I just bought a 4 foot brush mower and since I had just taken my MMM off, it did not have my skid plate on. Guess what... 40 feet into the woods and a stick took all the blades off again. Uggghhhhh. Never again, lol.
BTW, I will have to post pictures sometime of my skid plate design. It is pretty slick. Only held on by two pins and 30 seconds to install or remove.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Not one comment thus far on the tractor propeller? Gees. You guys are really slipping...:(

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Can you post a picture of yours under your BX23s? I have a BX23s and i dont see any guard on mine.
The BX23S guard that comes with the tractor is insufficient. It may not even look like a guard to you.

My son in law ordered one of the aftermarket guards for his BX23S he bought within the last year. No comparison. Buy one if you do not have a MMM on all or most of the time.

I keep the mower on my BX2200 almost all the time. Now if I take it off this year as I am planning for winter, you guys got me thinking. If we get a lot of snow, I guess I will be using my B2910 for plowing if the MMM is not on the BX.

BX is much more stable feeling than my larger tractor. I like the BX for plowing snow for that reason if we don't get much. Have not gotten much snow in the last few years...

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Now you have me all worried. I don't have a FEL and/or go in the woods, ever.
In the summer I mow or yank stuff (not in the woods). Mower is always on.
This'll be my first year snowblowing (front mount) and I have a rear blade too.(may be on some of the time)
I have a brand new bx2380-1 (latest upgrades whatever they are-plastic knobs etc).

Do I need some kind of "hst fan protection" in the normal course of events? (winter)

TIA,

Mike

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Now you have me all worried. I don't have a FEL and/or go in the woods, ever.
In the summer I mow or yank stuff (not in the woods). Mower is always on.
This'll be my first year snowblowing (front mount) and I have a rear blade too.(may be on some of the time)
I have a brand new bx2380-1 (latest upgrades whatever they are-plastic knobs etc).

Do I need some kind of "hst fan protection" in the normal course of events? (winter)

TIA,

Mike
If the mower is always on you probably do not need a skid plate. I have never felt the need and I check time to time to make sure I was not mistaken. So far after 18 years all is fine.

If you are planning to take the mower off this year when working in the snow, it might be risky, but with a front blower, the tractor should be moving over rather clear surfaces most of the time.

BUT it only will take one chunk of ice getting up into the fan to cause regrets. Maybe.

Also depends on how much snow you are dealing with. Light snow here most of the time so I would not worry that much...but if 8" or more with the low ground clearance of the BX, I would worry more.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Can't run the snowblower with the mower on (I tried). It's close, but for sure just not physically possible, otherwise I would've done it.

In NB, Canada, we get everything for snow....I have seen 3 foot dumps sometimes. wicked drifting, Ice, freezing rain, you name it. Think of it as New England, but a little worse.

That being said, I don't envision 'off roading' into any kind of snow without the rear blade or front blower clearing the way for me first. (hope that makes sense)

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
Bro-Tek has a skid plate you can leave on with the MMM and front snow blower, they also make a front skid plate that goes with it. Pretty nice of you run without the MMM on. Mine only comes off for servicing so I really don't need it, but for those who do.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thanks Guys........