shifting with L3300 GST tractor

moday

Apr 2, 2011
Michigan
I bought a used L3300 with GST trans.

A couple questions have come up, as I'm not sure if I'm being too hard on the tractor.

When running a brush hog and going forward, I'd like to go reverse at times, but I usually push the clutch and shift to reverse. By doing this I also lower the engine speed. Should I just leave the engine speed high and feel ok flipping it into reverse with the lever on the colum and also not use the clutch?

Kind of the same question for picking gears. Do I need to lower engine speed when shifting from 3 to 4 to 5.... Can I also go right 3rd to 5th or 6th or should I shift one gear at a time?

Thanks, Moday

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm not a GST expert but I think you can make direction changes without the clutch and shift without the clutch as well. I wouldn't want to be going full forward and go straight to reverse . It seems like it would be better to come to a stop and then shift to reverse. That's just me though.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I have a GST transmission on my tractor but I want to preface my comments by saying like Bulldog I'm no expert either. I'm training myself not to use the clutch unless I need to stop in a hurry. I'm learning to shift into neutral with the shift lever while putting my foot on the brake if I want to change directions. I may not always come to a stop but I do slow down. As far as changing gears I will usually back off the accelerator until I feel the gears engage and then I rev it back up. If operating on a grade be aware that when you change gears the tractor will free roll as if in neutral for a second or so before the gears engage. Be ready for that. As far a skipping gears I do that quite often. As long as there is no grinding or sudden lurching I don't think that is a problem. However, if I'm going up or down the gear range I don't like to go more than 2-3 gears at a time as there will be a drop in rpms. Like I said, I do let off the foot feed (accelerator) when I up or down shift but I accelerate as soon as I feel it catch. It just feels right. Don't know if I'm right or wrong but maybe someone with more knowledge will reply and clarify.

Reactions: 1 user

Jfay

Oct 12, 2010
Northeast MA
I have a 3300 as well and agree with Hook. The most important thing it to throttle down before shifting. You can do it at full throttle but it puts a lot of strain on the GST. You should not use the clutch to shift while mowing as the pto stops when you use the clutch. Use the GST and shuttle shift.