Safety Thing on L3710 Forward/Reverse Pedal?

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
My HST L3710 refused to start a couple of times. I figured it had to be some infernal safety thing. Looked all over and could not find it.

I found what looked like poo and twigs under the seat, so I blew it out with the leaf blower. I looked for broken wires. Tried and failed to find the seat switch.

By sheer luck, I discovered that the tractor would start if I jiggled the forward/reverse pedal. So there is some kind of safety thing there.

What is it? What's wrong with it?

StephenR

Feb 12, 2024
Kentucky
I don't have a Kubota HST to check out but, since you have to 'jiggle" the forward/reverse pedal, my wild guess is the "neutral safety" switch may be loose or defective. Since I do not know the actual name of the switch, I put it in parentheses. :cautious:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If there’s a grease zerk for the pedal, grease it. They’re not always obvious so look closely. Seems to be a common issue with the pedal not quite returning to center by itself when it gets a little sticky but not sticky enough to be noticeable in operation.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I'm going to look under it and try to get this fixed. I can't believe how many safety devices are on this thing.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I have not been able to find a zerk near the pedal.

Also, the loader lever sticks a little. I'm supposed to grease it, but where? I raised the boot and saw nothing that looked like a zerk.

Is there a particular grease I should use? I have a tube of John Deere NLGI-1 I haven't touched yet.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Your machine should only have two safety switches. One for the clutch, and the other for the PTO. Rocking the treadle shouldn't affect starting the machine.

Also, you have no zerk for the treadle since your particular machine will have the "feather step" HST. The treadle is not mechanically connected to the transmission, but rater by way of an external servo. As such, Kubota determined a zerk wouldn't be necessary.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The safety switch on the HST pedal is the likely suspect. Here's what I did years ago on an L3200HST. Might be the same for you:

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
The safety switch on the HST pedal is the likely suspect. Here's what I did years ago on an L3200HST. Might be the same for you:

There is no HST switch at the treadle pedal on a grand L10 machine, only at the clutch (unless it's a glide shift)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
There is no HST switch at the treadle pedal on a grand L10 machine, only at the clutch (unless it's a glide shift)
I haven't seen a switch, but the tractor will start if I lift the front of the pedal, so there must be a reason.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My 40 series may be different, but something shuts the engine off if I'm not seated and push the hydro pedal. Can't say exactly what the OP has. He did refer to it as " My HST L3710". Took him at his word. Although Tractordata.com might have bad info, they say the L3710 was made as gear, glide or hydro.

Maybe Henro can check with AI :)

• Love

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Can't say exactly what the OP has. He did refer to it as " My HST L3710". Took him at his word. Although Tractordata.com might have bad info, they say the L3710 was made as gear, glide or hydro.
I don't know what a glide transmission is. I have a hydrostatic transmission.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I haven't seen a switch, but the tractor will start if I lift the front of the pedal, so there must be a reason.
Try to trace the pedal linkage back toward the transmission. The switch is likely to be remotely located along the linkage.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I believe you. There is something that shuts our tractors down that is connected with the hydro pedal. The only tractor I've wrenched on the hydro pedal switch was my L3200 years ago.

Maybe there isn't a switch like that on the newer Grand models, but SOMETHING prevents moving the tractor when the hydro pedal is pressed and our butts aren't seated:) Could be some computerized connection instead of the switch that was on my L3200.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I believe you. There is something that shuts our tractors down that is connected with the hydro pedal. The only tractor I've wrenched on the hydro pedal switch was my L3200 years ago.

Maybe there isn't a switch like that on the newer Grand models, but SOMETHING prevents moving the tractor when the hydro pedal is pressed and our butts aren't seated:) Could be some computerized connection instead of the switch that was on my L3200.
There is nothing that prevents a Grand L10 from moving when you're off the machine. These machines predate operator presence systems. Trust me, I own one and hop off while the machine is running and in gear. As long as you're in low gear and the pedal return is adjusted properly, it holds. When in medium or high, it will creep slightly depending on your grade.

Last edited:
  • Love

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I wonder if I'm supposed to adjust the pedal's rest position.
Attached is an explanation of the linkage and adjustment procedure for your machine taken from the FSM. The only way I could see the pedal affecting the machine during starting is if it was fully depressed and the starter couldn't overcome the load of the system and not turn over. If your NSS is functioning, this would be impossible.

However, there could be other reasons, but you'd need an HST wiz to chime in.....

Attachments

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
There is nothing that prevents a Grand L10 from moving when you're off the machine. These machines predate operator presence systems. Trust me, I own one and hop off while the machine is running and in gear. As long as your in low gear and the pedal return is adjusted properly, it holds. When in medium or high, it will creep slightly depending on your grade.
That's a relief. I read there was a seat switch. I knew the tractor would run without me, but I didn't know if it would start without me.

I routinely stand on the left side of the seat and move the tractor a few inches with the pedal. Is it dangerous? Don't care.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
That's a relief. I read there was a seat switch. I knew the tractor would run without me, but I didn't know if it would start without me.

I routinely stand on the left side of the seat and move the tractor a few inches with the pedal. Is it dangerous? Don't care.
I believe it was the next generation (grand L30 series) that received the operator pretense system (seat switch, ect).
The only two switches (besides ignition switch) that can prevent our machines from starting are NSS and PTO. I have both of mine bypassed for convince and reliability reasons. The NSS is normally reliable, but the PTO switch can be finiky and are the same type used on the shuttle of a glide shift machine and prone to failure.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Is there a particular grease I should use? I have a tube of John Deere NLGI-1 I haven't touched yet.
If you put green grease on a Kubota, it'll explode. You have to buy proper orange grease.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
If you put green grease on a Kubota, it'll explode. You have to buy proper orange grease.
What I like are the ads that say a particular grease is compatible with "most greases." So just try it and hope nothing goes wrong.