rtv1100 rear u joint

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I'm working on a early build (SN 19820) RTV 1100. He wants me to replace the rear u-joints. Local dealer doesn't keep em in stock. Anyone got a cross reference for them? Maybe Oreilly auto parts or??

OEM number K7711-01250 and K7711-01220

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
That's normally true for "most" dealers. Local dealer not so much. I worked there for a long time and still order a few parts so long as the customer isn't in any kind of hurry.

In this case the customer want's their stuff back.

Local dealer? I order & pay for the part (prepay on all special orders). Then they submit the order into the computer system. Dealer GM reviews the order, might take a few days since he only works 1 or 2 days a week. Then he makes any changes, then sends it to the "parts & service coordinator" who oversees all of the chains' ordering. That's a LOT of parts to have to look through for 12 or I think 13 dealers now. Then once he ok's it and makes the changes needed, he'll dump it to kubota. 2-3 days from that time it ships and shows up at the dealership. That's if there's no back orders or it doesn't ship from a different warehouse. Then the local dealer gets it, and the way they do things there, it takes them a few days to check it in and call the special order customers, who come AFTER the shop and stock order customers....

having worked there I know how they do it, and I also know that a special order OTC customer gets put at the back of the priority level. It takes up to a month to get parts that are in stock at the closest warehouse. Even then, they hit the customer with shipping and handling charges and all of the many taxes.

in short they use the worst possible methodology for parts ordering and receiving that one can. They check in each part individually, manually....using a check sheet, check it off, toss the checked in part into a separate box and once it's all done THEN go through everything, again manually. Inefficiency at it's best. They make bar code scanners for this purpose but local dealer doesn't do things the efficient way....never have, and I'm told by the parts manager that they probably never will as long as the general manager has anything to do with it. But, the GM will do anything (and I mean anything!) to make sure the salespeople are very well taken care of....when your parts people are being paid $14/hr but your sales guys are being paid a quarter million + a year, there is an issue. And there is also the issue of high turnover in all departments except sales. I knew the GM from the deere dealer and it was no different there.

once it's all said and done, this dealer is considerably more expensive and considerably slower than ordering it myself from one of the online dealers. And, with all that said, my customer isn't in a "rush", but he's getting antsy--thus why I asked if there's any other options.

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
Have you considered checking with Messicks? They seem to have a larger inventory than most local dealerships. I ordered parts from them for the tailwheel on our rotary mower and they came fast (to Texas). Good luck

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
last time i ordered from messick, they hit me with about $40 in shipping for a pair of mower blades. The shipping was the same cost as the blades. Trying to avoid that again.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's one 18 miles from me-I used to work there (all told, 29.5 years between two locations of the same dealer). Then there's one 36 miles, another 51 miles, another 52 miles....with the exception of 52 miles, the others are owned by the same outfit (that I worked for).

K7711-01250 is available aftermarket, I don't have the sheet in front of me but I found a Spicer U-joint with the same dimensions. I did not order one yet. K7711-01220 is available nowhere but Kuobta, at least not that I've found (yet). I gotta get this pile of junk out of my shop so it looks like I'm gonna have to get the kubota ones and be done with it. The more stuff I fix on this turd the more stuff I find wrong with it. Owner's already getting anxious so I'm gonna do the u-joints and tell him that I don't ever want to see it again...

Working on RTV1100 reminds me why I hated them from day one. NOTHING is easy to do on them. And, the transmission SUCKS (being nice about it). Sluggish, slow, noisy, hard to work on, expensive, finicky. Give me a Ranger or Mule anyday over and RTV!