RTV 1140X Power steering issue

BuggyBeach

Equipment
RTV 1140W
Jul 18, 2024
Canada
I have just started working for a mine underground and we use the 1140's as our utility vehicles to get around, i have one that's down with power steering issues. The hydraulic pump is good and the fluids, I have flow and pressure going to both fittings of the steering cylinder but it's not moving at all and it will not turn to the left. the wheel spins fine both ways and no weird noises coming from it. tie rods are attached. Thought I would see if anybody has had this problem before I pull the steering cylinder out

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you have pressure and flow to one line at a time you more than likely have a broken / blown cylinder.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Remove the hoses from the steering cylinder and put a steel JIC plug at each hose's end. Start the engine and try to turn the steering wheel. It should feel like it did when fully turned to the steering stops.

That will confirm which has failed, the cylinder or the steering valve.
It is the cylinder probably 99% of the time.

BuggyBeach

Equipment
RTV 1140W
Jul 18, 2024
Canada
Remove the hoses from the steering cylinder and put a steel JIC plug at each hose's end. Start the engine and try to turn the steering wheel. It should feel like it did when fully turned to the steering stops.

Does that cylinder come out decently easily? do the tie rods have to come off or will it slide through the frame as a unit?

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
I have just started working for a mine underground and we use the 1140's as our utility vehicles to get around, i have one that's down with power steering issues. The hydraulic pump is good and the fluids, I have flow and pressure going to both fittings of the steering cylinder but it's not moving at all and it will not turn to the left. the wheel spins fine both ways and no weird noises coming from it. tie rods are attached. Thought I would see if anybody has had this problem before I pull the steering cylinder out
Check the end seals of the rod itself, I just changed one on friday good luck

P.S. Don't forget to check the tank underneath the passenger seat, if it is low it may cause your issue

TECH101

Equipment
Kubota - Bobcat - Caterpillar - Case - John Deere - FARM - CONSTRUCTION -
Mar 8, 2022
Canada
Does that cylinder come out decently easily? do the tie rods have to come off or will it slide through the frame as a unit?
It will slide through with the tie rods connected but you have to remove the (2) 90 degrees hose fittings from the cylinder or it won't come out

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
That question is tricky to answer until we first know what model your RTV is, there are vast differences between the different models.
Is this unit a model RTV1140CPX or is it an RTV-X1140???

The RTV1140 has the cylinder mounted in a removable mount on each end. You can remove the 4 bolts from the mounts and withdraw the assembly with the tierod ends installed.

The RTV-X1140 has the cylinder mounted in the frame itself, the assembly can be removed after removing the 90-degree fittings with the tierod ends installed.

Last edited:

BuggyBeach

Equipment
RTV 1140W
Jul 18, 2024
Canada
Check the end seals of the rod itself, I just changed one on friday good luck

P.S. Don't forget to check the tank underneath the passenger seat, if it is low it may cause your issue
Got the cylinder out this afternoon, besides the snap rings everything went remotely smoothly for laying down on the main ramp, and tank was full and the rods were not leaking when i pressured up each side with the wheels all the way turned, but will be changing the cylinder with one out of a buggy that we are scrapping soon so going to have to repeat this process again tomorrow and hope it's not too big of a hassle to get back in.

Thanks for the help and responses boys
Cheers