Replacing backhoe bushings

IowaL35

Apr 6, 2014
Council bluffs, ia
I recently purchased an L35 with 1700 hours on it and I am trying to "fix it up!" There is some play in most of the backhoe bushings and I am wondering how challenging it is to replace them? Is this a matter of simply taking out the old ones or does it involve a press or cutting and welding?

I've seen videos of the bigger backhoes where they heat the arm and freeze the bushing. I'm hoping this isn't the case with a smaller Kubota.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Welcome to OTT. I have the same problem on my L35 with 2200 hrs so will be following your thread.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
On the biggest units I've seen techs in the field cut bushings out with a torch if nothing else works. I'd be terribly reluctant to try this on the relatively small bushings on your hoe.

Seems like there was a thread on here sometime back about using a hacksaw blade (recip saw? too fast? lack of control?) and carefully slowly cutting a groove in the bushing. Once the bushing could relax, the poster reported it came out without too much trouble. Die grinder using a burr might also be a consideration.

In the shop they'll commonly heat the outer side with a rose-bud and use sledge hammers to beat the bushing out. Even though not like welding I'm also hesitant to do much heating. And then repaint.

I don't know how you'd go about cooling the bushing enough to make much difference.

The best deal I've ever seen used is a portable hydraulic press that allowed the bushing to be '''eased''' out instead of just beating the heck out of it. Even then it was all the Porta-Power could do (unsure if HF knockoff would have the power / strength). Might find such a critter available locally for rent or borrow.

Be aware that in some machines the bushings are tapered so be sure you know which way to apply force. For your hoe I simply don't know.

Mine too are a little bit sloppy. After examining the repair possibilities I tighten mine up with grease daily and plan to continue using in this way until I note the wear is starting to get out of the theoretically replaceable bushing into the boss. I figure I'm good for another few hundred hours of backhoe use.

WRT greasing, make life easier by investing in either a battery or pneumatic grease gun. Also handy is a Lincoln or Alemite 360-degree swivel snout on the hose-end. Next time grease is on sale for $0.99 tube stock up.

Like Don, I'm curious how you proceed and your results. Would greatly appreciate your continuing to post if you do the work so we may all learn. If you do, photos would be great.

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
You can try getting a stack of thick washers slightly smaller then the boom bore, but bigger then the bushing, and the biggest grade 8 bolt you can use put a short piece of pipe on the other side that will let the bushing slide into then put a plate and nut and torque the nut. If that don't do it, try hitting the back of the bolt with a sledge while torquing. Maybe pack the bushing with dry ice first? wear good gloves and safety glasses when handling dry ice.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used the method of using a hack saw blade to manually cut a kerf in the bushing to allow it to reduce in diameter to be easily removed. Be patient and when you get nearly thru the material you can take a punch and push the cut corner in to relieve pressure. If you get in too big of a hurry you'll cut past the bushing and into the structure, but a few strokes with and hand help blade will do no detrimental damage.

IowaL35

Apr 6, 2014
Council bluffs, ia
Thanks for the tips, I need to take a better look at the bushings and decide the best course of action. I will post how things turn out when I make the repairs.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I recently purchased an L35 with 1700 hours on it and I am trying to "fix it up!" There is some play in most of the backhoe bushings and I am wondering how challenging it is to replace them? Is this a matter of simply taking out the old ones or does it involve a press or cutting and welding?

I've seen videos of the bigger backhoes where they heat the arm and freeze the bushing. I'm hoping this isn't the case with a smaller Kubota.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
I have owner a couple dozen L35s. I'm sorry Kubota discontinued it. The bushings are really a straight forward repair. It's harder to tell you how to remove them than it will be for you to figure it out when you get into the repair. It's really just a matter for knocking they old ones out and carefully reinstalling the new ones. It won't be your easiest repair but it's not a big deal.

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
I replaced boom/bucket bushings on a caterpillar 215 15 years ago. I made a sorta C clamp using a 3' long 8" channel iron welded two pieces of heavy gauge 6" angle iron on the ends put a 8 ton hydraulic jack in between it with a piece of oak round I turned on a lathe a little smaller then the boom bore, that is all I had to work with, and pressed the bushings out and in. Worked good. I think the L35 would press out easier.