Replaced head gasket now Black Smoke and no power

tdnp

Equipment
L1801 DT
Aug 10, 2010
Kansas
I just replaced the head gasket on my Zen-Noh zl-1801-fd. I have drained and bled the injectors but cranking it over with the lines cracked at the injectors until I had a fair stream of fuel from the line. I then tightened the lines and it fires right up, except it smokes terrible black smoke with no power. If I try to bled the lines with it running, after I crak open the front injector line it tries to die, if I do the same to the rear line it will continue to run and allow me to purge the line.

Some thoughts.

The injector pump still has air. I do not know how to purge.
The injector(s) is\are dirty, Can I remove and clean with carburetor spray? Do I need to completely remove them?

Any and all information is appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a bad injector in the one that when you bleed it nothing changes, or you have a compression problem.
Swap the injectors between cylinders and see if you get the opposite reaction, that will tell you bad or clogged injector.

If they are that bad carb cleaner might not even help you out, and to really get them clean you would have to completely disassemble them.;)

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I agree with wolf man on swapping the injectors for diagnostics .
If the prob stays wherever that injector is installed I would sugjest taking it to a repair shop( both injectors), some of the newer injectors are not even serviceable .
At the very least the pop off pressure and the spray pattern will need to be checked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tdnp

Equipment
L1801 DT
Aug 10, 2010
Kansas
UPDATE......

Well I was able to get back to the tractor today.

I was sure that I check this when I put this together. But, It was the valve clearance was to tight, adjusted and it is running good now.

Thanks for the information