Replaced Fuel Filter - Won't Start

RustyGrey

Equipment
L175
Feb 10, 2014
Atlanta
I know I should have left well enough alone but I just had to bond with my new L1500. So, I changed the oil and oil filter. That went well except for forgetting to replace the drain plug. Oh well, a little flush never hurt. Afterward, I started it and ran it till warm. Next I decided to replace the fuel filter. I ran into town and found one at Tractor Supply. When I got back about two hours later, I realized I had left the ignition key on. I turned it off then proceeded to replace the fuel filter. After re-opening the fuel shutoff valve, I tried to start it up. I figured it would take a few cranks to get the fuel line recharged but after several minutes of trying, I had run the battery down. I let it rest a while and pulled my truck alongside and tried to jump it off. No luck. I'm not getting any smoke out the stack of any color. I cant tell you anything about indicator lights because they are pretty much gone. I think the oil light comes on when I first turn the key but there are no other lights that work. So, it is either fuel or heat. I have not pulled a glow plug to see what is happening nor have I made any electrical checks because right now I am thinking fuel. Any suggestions as to how to further troubleshoot/correct this?
Thanks in advance for even reading this tale of woe.

sherman

Equipment
kubota L235dt
Dec 7, 2013
newalla oklahoma
did you bleed the air after fuel filter change. i could be wrong but im thinking the air in the new fuel filter have to be bleed out. that might explain no smoke as there isnt any fuel getting to the injectors. there should be a bleed valve somewhere between the filter probable at injectors that going to have to bleed

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the side of the injector pump where the fuel line goes in from the lift pump there is a bolt/fitting lossen it and then crank till you get pulses of fuel, then tighten.
Next loosen each injector line on the top of each injector, crank till you get pulses of fuel, tighten.
Then it will start.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Old L series tractors require the filter to be primed (filled with fuel) and air to be bled from lines BEFORE cranking or you will introduce air to the system and it will be a complete PITA to get working again. Assuming you put an empty filter (spin on) or an element filter with some air in the bowl, here are the steps to get it running again.

1. Charge battery completely. It would be good to have jumper cables and/or a booster charger and/or another charged battery on hand. You may completely cycle your battery dead trying to bleed the air out if you got it real airbound.

2. Move your throttle to "full rack" (wide open).

3. loosen bleeder knob or screw on top of your fuel filter and bleed with gravity until air stops bubbling.

4. Loosen the nut on the top of one injector. You can try this at the pump on the side of the motor if the pump is airbound. If its the lines, you will need to bleed @ the injector instead.

5. Crank motor, you will see bubbles at the nut that you loosened. Eventually you should see no bubbles and only a steam or dribble of fuel

6. If motor fires and starts, let it run and tighten that nut while the engine is running until it stops dripping.

7. If motor stumbles and stalls, wait a little for starter to cool and try again. Repeat steps until motor starts.

8. Once motor starts and begins to increase in rpm, reduce throttle to lower setting while it warms up.

Good luck! I've been stranded in a field at night at about 10 degrees with a newer M series machine where the filters are hidden right up against the cab and you can't even reach your arm around to them and fill them up and get them back in without spilling. I almost killed the battery and couldn't get the machine going....but fortunately just before the battery was completely dead it fired off.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
did you bleed the air after fuel filter change. i could be wrong but im thinking the air in the new fuel filter have to be bleed out. that might explain no smoke as there isnt any fuel getting to the injectors. there should be a bleed valve somewhere between the filter probable at injectors that going to have to bleed
Exactly. What sherman said. You need to bleed all the air out of the fuel system or it will never start. If you do not have a WSM (Workshop Manual) for your tractor you should get one. Long term it will be one of the best investments you will make for your new baby. While you are at it you should also get a Parts Manual too. Especially if you are planning to do some of the maintenance work yourself. :D

Last edited:

RustyGrey

Equipment
L175
Feb 10, 2014
Atlanta
Thanks to all! Can't wait to get back to it. I have learned a valuable lesson. In the future, I will fill the new filter with diesel prior to removing the old one and make the switch-a-roo as fast as possible. Thanks again.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks to all! Can't wait to get back to it. I have learned a valuable lesson. In the future, I will fill the new filter with diesel prior to removing the old one and make the switch-a-roo as fast as possible. Thanks again.
Rusty, I will bet that even if you fill the filter with fuel and switch it super fast, you will not be good to go. You will still need to bleed the lines, as you have introduced air into the fuel system.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm not intimate with this particular model machine, but I'm curious for my own learning...

Does this thing have a thumbscrew air bleed that can be used instead of cracking injector lines?

Always good practice to load the new fuel filter before installing---especially canister type. Same with engine oil and hydraulic filters: stand upright, fill with fluid to wet gasket, let sit 15-min, install. Hold upside down, no oil comes back out, proves element fully loaded.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
The thumbscrews help bleed air from the fuel filter housing or high pressure pump housing, depending on your model, but will not take the place of loosening your injector line.

One additional hint I have for everyone, which I have learned from servicing well over 300 Kubota's over the past several years in contracting.

Start machine, warm it up, shut off, change your oil. Replace oil and filters. Start machine up and make sure oil light goes out and oil has circulated and things are all warmed up again.

NOW shut it off and change your fuel filter quickly, making sure to refill the fuel bowl or filter so that there is very little air in it.

Open your rack full throttle, now crank and your machine will almost definitely start and take off to full rpm. Since you have already circulated the new oil after the oil change, you're not doing any damage to your engine, cylinders are still coated and everything is warmed up. KEEP MACHINE AT FULL THROTTLE FOR A FEW MINUTES. It will likely stumble and almost stall, it might even stall, but you have at least helped bleed a LOT of the air out of the system while it was at full throttle.

Using this method I was able to service easily 200 tractors and never had to bleed them. M series all the way down to BX and everything inbetween including Excavators and RTV's.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I change the fuel filter on my B7100, I shut the fuel off at the filter bowl, remove the old filter, clean the bowl, install the new filter, o-ring, bowl, & start the screw-on bowl ring but do not tighten it; then I open the fuel shut off and allow the fuel to fill the bowl until fuel leaks out at the top, then tighten the bowl retaining ring. It starts right up, no stumbling or any other problems; never had to bleed any thing beyond that. Works every time.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
When I change the fuel filter on my B7100, I shut the fuel off at the filter bowl, remove the old filter, clean the bowl, install the new filter, o-ring, bowl, & start the screw-on bowl ring but do not tighten it; then I open the fuel shut off and allow the fuel to fill the bowl until fuel leaks out at the top, then tighten the bowl retaining ring. It starts right up, no stumbling or any other problems; never had to bleed any thing beyond that. Works every time.
Thanks for the reminder !!! I forgot all about doing it that way on my 7100.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Li L Foot x2. Thats how I do my B7001DT and it also starts right up with no bleeding required.

rridgeback

Aug 1, 2014
deer park, wa
How long does it take to fill the sediment bowl after replacing the filter? How much fuel flows from the output of the sediment bowl (is it a stream of fuel or drops of fuel)?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Always good practice to load the new fuel filter before installing---especially canister type."

A lot of folks do this, but you are risking the possibility of something not getting filtered from what you put in. That fuel is now past the filter and going to the IP (unfiltered).

As Bulldog350 mentioned, you save a lot of grief if your engine is warmed up good before changing fuel filters. You know the engine was running correctly before you stated, and a warmed up engine starts easier.