Removing rear PTO cover assembly, can't put back on.

mstuenzi

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Jul 22, 2023
OHIO, US
Looking for some help here. I had a very slow leak out of the rear PTO cover assembly. My plan was to remove the cover and redo the gasket on it. I removed the cover following the instructions here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2033318/Kubota-Wsm-Bx1880.html?page=241

The problem I ran into was when I went to put the cover back on the 1T PTO select shaft is too far to the rear and for the life of me I can't get it to slide back in all the way. Is there a trick to this? Or did I mess something up? I really hope I don't have to pull apart more of the transmission to fix this.....

Thanks for the help!
IMG_0589.jpg

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The chances that all these parts have stayed aligned are rather rare so you're more than likely going to have to really get into it to align all the parts.

1690056018914.png

JHardy1

Equipment
2018 Kubota BX2380
Mar 20, 2024
Tennessee
Looking for some help here. I had a very slow leak out of the rear PTO cover assembly. My plan was to remove the cover and redo the gasket on it. I removed the cover following the instructions here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2033318/Kubota-Wsm-Bx1880.html?page=241

The problem I ran into was when I went to put the cover back on the 1T PTO select shaft is too far to the rear and for the life of me I can't get it to slide back in all the way. Is there a trick to this? Or did I mess something up? I really hope I don't have to pull apart more of the transmission to fix this.....

Thanks for the help! View attachment 107824
What was your solution? I am having the exact same problem with my bx

Reactions: 1 user

cptbarkey

Equipment
BX2350
Nov 19, 2023
Central TX
I am running into the same issue with a BX2350 trying to fix a leak because the old permatex sealant is giving out. I believe the lower left gear gets pulled out inadvertently when removing the cover because both bearings normally rest and move on the cover. I found this solution on another forum and will try it soon, but i've wiggled things around already, engaging and disengaging the PTO and its not really moving. I can feel things lock up when I engage it, so it feels solid. Its just not in depth-alignment with the bigger PTO gear depth-wise with the cover.

"
Finally success!!! I called several Kubota dealers in our area and they all said it should just slip right in. Well let me tell you that wasn't the case. After about 2 hours of trying to get it to slip in and getting zero success I knew I had to do something different. I took a piece of metal about 3/4 inch wide and 14 inches long and slid it umder the gear that is about 6 inches back into the case. After raising it up and down while I jiggled the shaft it finally slid together. I was one happy camper! I still have a shop and parts manual on order.
"

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

JHardy1

Equipment
2018 Kubota BX2380
Mar 20, 2024
Tennessee
I am running into the same issue with a BX2350 trying to fix a leak because the old permatex sealant is giving out. I believe the lower left gear gets pulled out inadvertently when removing the cover because both bearings normally rest and move on the cover. I found this solution on another forum and will try it soon.

"
Finally success!!! I called several Kubota dealers in our area and they all said it should just slip right in. Well let me tell you that wasn't the case. After about 2 hours of trying to get it to slip in and getting zero success I knew I had to do something different. I took a piece of metal about 3/4 inch wide and 14 inches long and slid it umder the gear that is about 6 inches back into the case. After raising it up and down while I jiggled the shaft it finally slid together. I was one happy camper! I still have a shop and parts manual on order.
"
That’s awesome! I’ll try that when I get home. I took mine to a kubota dealer nearby and was quoted 4k to drop the transmission and line the shaft back up. I went and picked the tractor up.

Reactions: 1 user

cptbarkey

Equipment
BX2350
Nov 19, 2023
Central TX
That’s awesome! I’ll try that when I get home. I took mine to a kubota dealer nearby and was quoted 4k to drop the transmission and line the shaft back up. I went and picked the tractor up.
Update, IT WORKED.

I misused a long straight edge but a flat bar will work too. I lifted up the back shaft and what I was really lifting was a giant gear, some more wiggling and it slipped into place with an audible and satisfying thunk. See photo red arrow.

If it matters, I did have the PTO engaged when it slipped in. Now I have to wait another week or so for Coleman Equip to get me a new PTO shaft seal. The cover is back on with new Permatex grey. Good luck with your repair.

1712172529422.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Soundman6990

Equipment
Bx2360
May 5, 2024
Oregon
I am running into the same issue with a BX2350 trying to fix a leak because the old permatex sealant is giving out. I believe the lower left gear gets pulled out inadvertently when removing the cover because both bearings normally rest and move on the cover. I found this solution on another forum and will try it soon, but i've wiggled things around already, engaging and disengaging the PTO and its not really moving. I can feel things lock up when I engage it, so it feels solid. Its just not in depth-alignment with the bigger PTO gear depth-wise with the cover.

"
"
This literally just saved me. I spent about 2 hours doing the same and after googling long enough I found your post. So thank you!

Reactions: 1 users

Neighbour Al

Equipment
BX24D RTV500
May 8, 2024
Pennsylvania
"
"
Woot! Thank YOU! I have parts on the floor and the same problem. I'll tackle it tomorrow and try your solution. I need the tractor for so much work, and all I have now is cold iron/aluminum

P.S. I opened up the rear end because it was leaking from the cover. I found that the outer PTO bearing had "prematurely disassembled" with pieces just waiting to get into the transmission. New bearing pressed on but I couldn't get it to go back together.

Neighbour Al

Equipment
BX24D RTV500
May 8, 2024
Pennsylvania