Removable grapple.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Well I'll keep this short and post a video on it one of those days but here's how my latest grapple project turned out. I Didn't need a dedicated grapple so I designed this.
The tines are 1/2 thick, the duel independent hydraulic cylinders are 3" with plenty of force. I wanted to keep the top spill guard in place so that meant the tines had to be a little longer than normal. I have it all set up that if the grapple gets in my way its a ten minute removal with the linch pins. I've got some rock I need to clean up next summer so this should make it easier. I also fabricated a tooth bar that should make digging easier.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Paul,
that's slicker than ice on Teflon!:D Very nice work as always

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
DAYUM Paul :eek: !!!!
Do those claws operate together of do they work independent of one another?
Oh and FYI the contact link on your page is not working,, I know I tried;)

Wildfire

Equipment
nice..really nice.
Have you ran the island dry of orange paint yet.lol
Thanks. I told the wife all I want for Christmas is a 45 gallon drum of orange paint :D

Paul,
that's slicker than ice on Teflon!:D Very nice work as always
Thanks. It's a little different but built like a battleship. Pull 8 pins and it's off including the cylinders so I'll get more use out of the bucket now. I'll be starting some new BX mods next.

DAYUM Paul :eek: !!!!
Do those claws operate together of do they work independent of one another?
Oh and FYI the contact link on your page is not working,, I know I tried;)
Yes sir. They are independent. Great for irregular objects. when I use the 3rd function on the FEL lever they will both move but will still be independent of each other. I'll be doing a video in a few days on it.
I'll check and see whats going on with the page link :confused:

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
If you get a chance the toothbar needs some time in the spotlight too. ( its on my shortlist of to do mods so im trying to see/steal as many ideas as possible )

Wildfire

Equipment
If you get a chance the toothbar needs some time in the spotlight too. ( its on my shortlist of to do mods so im trying to see/steal as many ideas as possible )
I never put to much effort in documenting the tooth bar but I did take a few photos. I bought the shank, teeth and locking pins at a Yanmar dealership in the city. For the 7 of them it was a little over $300. I used a piece of 1/4 X 4" plate and welded the shanks to it. On each side of the flat bar there is another piece of bar that bolts to each side of the bucket. Once the shanks are fitted up to the bucket lip and the two bolts are in there's no way for it to slip out.

Here's a few photos. Hope this helps.

Shank

Tooth

Welded via Spray Transfer.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
So you just hooked them
over the cutterbar?
Didn't you have the cutterbar bolted on before or am I getting confused with the bx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wildfire

Equipment
So you just hooked them
over the cutterbar?
Didn't you have the cutterbar bolted on before or am I getting confused with the bx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Yes. Both tractors have the cutting edge but I remove the cutting edge and bolt on the tooth bar. I'll be making one for the BX next.

c.schulz

Equipment
BX2660 w/ back hoe, grapple, mower
Jun 28, 2011
Ortonville,MI
Yes. Both tractors have the cutting edge but I remove the cutting edge and bolt on the tooth bar. I'll be making one for the BX next.

Hey Paul, really like the grapple build. Top notch as always.
One word of caution on the tooth bar. Keep the teeth as small as possible for the little BX. I have 2 buckets and I built a tooth bar like the one on your L. Then my other bucket has 3/4 x 3/4 solid bars as teeth and it seems to work better than the larger for the little machine.
Then I have a question if you dont mind. Will you be adding a grapple to the BX? I have a small grapple to add to mine but having a hard time figuring out the hydro control. Only way I see is to share the lines for the backhoe. Have any ideas?

Chris

Wildfire

Equipment
Wow, that looks awesome. You really are talented.
Thanks. I'm happy you like it ;)

Hey Paul, really like the grapple build. Top notch as always.
One word of caution on the tooth bar. Keep the teeth as small as possible for the little BX. I have 2 buckets and I built a tooth bar like the one on your L. Then my other bucket has 3/4 x 3/4 solid bars as teeth and it seems to work better than the larger for the little machine.
Then I have a question if you dont mind. Will you be adding a grapple to the BX? I have a small grapple to add to mine but having a hard time figuring out the hydro control. Only way I see is to share the lines for the backhoe. Have any ideas?

Chris
Thanks Chris. The problem with a tooth bar on the BX is the lip of the bucket is thin. I'll beef that up before I add the tooth bar.
I'll be doing a few mods for the BX. One mod will be a quick change adapter for the back hoe bucket. The other will be an all aluminum grapple. I haven't given it much thought yet but I think I'll use a diverter valve on the tilt side of the FEL to power the grapple but like I say, it's a little early for that but right now that's where my head is on the subject.

A few years ago I added a ice resurfaced to a bx1800 and I taped into the tractors hydraulic e easily enough so I may do it that way.

Last edited:

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Wow, love your work. I might have to chip in on that bucket of orange paint just to see you make more stuff!

-- Carl

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I added a ice resurfaced to a bx1800

Sooooo that would make it a KUBONEY:rolleyes:

Wildfire

Equipment
Wow, love your work. I might have to chip in on that bucket of orange paint just to see you make more stuff!

-- Carl
Thanks Carl. Glad you enjoy seeing this stuff. ;)

I added a ice resurfaced to a bx1800

Sooooo that would make it a KUBONEY:rolleyes:
Ha ha. Good one my friend :D

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I'd like to ask a fabrication "how to" question related to your pictures. I see that your bucket has holes drilled in it: how do you make the holes in something that big? I have a hand drill I can take to small stuff, and a drill press that I bring larger things to, but a bucket is too big to carry to the drill press. So how do you approach something like that in your shop?

-- Carl

Wildfire

Equipment
I'd like to ask a fabrication "how to" question related to your pictures. I see that your bucket has holes drilled in it: how do you make the holes in something that big? I have a hand drill I can take to small stuff, and a drill press that I bring larger things to, but a bucket is too big to carry to the drill press. So how do you approach something like that in your shop?

-- Carl
Carl. When I go to drill large holes and I can't get the material to the drill press or the milling machine I usually call upon my mag drill. The bits of choice in that case is an annular bit but I do use larger tapered bits in the unit as well.

The mag drill is a 110 volt unit that also has the large powerful switchable magnet at its base that's also powered via 110 volts. If the item your drilling is really thick then that even better because the drill will never pull away from the material.
Once set up you turn on the drill and keep the cutting fluid to it and in no time you have your holes drilled. It works just like a drill press but you can mount it in and form. It can even be mounted upside down, it just gets the job done.
Here's a few pics. There are other times ill just use a 1/2 inch drill on things and I have a good selection of larger bits. Good question ;)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dude you got all the neat toys,,lol :cool:

On a more serious note, what do you use for cutting oil? Is it just motor oil or something lighter or something special or what, I really don't know??

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment
Dude you got all the neat toys,,lol :cool:

On a more serious note, what do you use for cutting oil? Is it just motor oil or something lighter or something special or what, I really don't know??
There are times I wish I never had to depend on these tools to scratch a living so during the day they are considered tools. During the evening and weekends when I'm doing my own thing they are toys if that makes any sense ;)

As for cutting oils, well that's a good question. I think most will agree there's no one oil that does well at every type of cutting. For the lathe, milling machines and metal cutting band saw I use water soluble oil. For everything else I use these:

Aluminum cutting & tapping I use WD-40. Works great.

For regular drilling and cutting without the water soluble oil turned on I use this:

For threading and tapping I use this on everything except aluminum. This stuff is the best I've ever used for these applications: