Remote electric weed whacker...

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
So, I only get to my properly intermittently and a gas powered weed whacker would just plug up and be useless. Brain yelled electric at me.

First thought was cordless, but that ups the price and I don't want cordless batteries sitting on a charger for months, unused. Kills the batteries.

Next thought, wired with generator, but generator would be back to gas powered and back to gas problem... no go.

Next thought, DC weed whacker, use the battery... no wait, inverter! So, went to Lowes, got 800W inverter on sale for $50 and $50 el-cheapo B&D weed whacker (have another one and runs fine for small work). Had the 50 foot extension cord.

Worked like a charm. It never pulls over 450 watts. Now to permanently mount the inverter and have up to 800W of 120V power wherever I have the Kubota! I like where I have it sitting in the pictures, now to find a way to keep it out of the weather...

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Gets me thinkin. Quick cable makes non- reversible cable connectors. Mount one permanent to tractor and one on inverter. Then add to truck, car or whatever. This way inverter can go wherever with trimmer. I rigged a couple vehicles with them front and rear for boosting/ winching and whatever. Possibilities are endless. There are a few sizes depending on your needs.
My inverter will run my tv,satellite reciever and my pellet stove. Good for backup power. I needed it 2 times in 2 years.

Thought about a mount to carry my gas trimmer around on my riding mower,so its right there handy when i need it.

Had a cordless one,the only thing it was lacking was a sticker for depositing it at the local garbage transfer station. I have seen useless stuff, but that took the cake.

Never thought about a 120 volt corded one. Good idea, may go that way myself.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
The idea of an inverter is nice, but I wouldn't personally be able to justify the expense. I can't say I've ever said to myself, dang, I sure wish I had a cord on this gas weed eater. Different folks like different stuff. I replaced my old gas weed eater with a new one last season for about $100.

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I'd mount the inverter under the hood. Run chord our when you need it (opposite of a block heater). Inverter always there though....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Good idea. I hate small gas motors like on weeders and chainsaws. I only use electric now and will never go back. Think I'll go your route. I've got a few inverters.... will have to check their output.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
The weed whacker sits behind the seat, the cord is bundled up in a nice loop and I got a quick pin to go through the stow point holes for the ROPS and hold the coil. The inverter will get permanently mounted somewhere, and I like under the hood but have to find the space...

I think I have a picture of the weed whacker behind the seat and you can see the cord coil pinned to the ROPs...

Attachments