Rebuilding Deck Gearbox RCK54-23ZG

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I used my part's washer when I rebuilt mine. Trichloroethane (had to take a pic of the bottle, haha) is also great stuff, just don't breath it in, or get it on your skin!

It wasn't mentioned yet, but make sure your backlash is in spec after reassembly. The factory does a good job with shimming, so you should be good. But it still needs to be checked.

Attachments

MartyJones

Equipment
L185
Aug 31, 2023
South MS
I used my part's washer when I rebuilt mine. Trichloroethane (had to take a pic of the bottle, haha) is also great stuff, just don't breath it in, or get it on your skin!

It wasn't mentioned yet, but make sure your backlash is in spec after reassembly. The factory does a good job with shimming, so you should be good. But it still needs to be checked.
Can you elaborate on “backlash”? I am a noob to rebuilding this gearbox.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
It's what I use, as it'll 'flush out' the residue.
I used to use trichloroethelyene ??? Some big,long mouthful of letters. would get 45g drums of it for free (used coolant for SCR motor drives ). It worked GREAT at cleaning carbs and trannies and such.....
probably banned now of course.....
Yeah, it's banned for being hazardous to the Ozone layer, as well as for being a potential carcinogen. It was good stuff for degreasing, though.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you elaborate on “backlash”? I am a noob to rebuilding this gearbox.
When gears mesh together there is some movement possible between the gears. That is backlash.
Moving the gears closer will reduce the movement but too close and they will be damaged or worn faster.

So there is a process of adjusting the position of gears so they run together well. Usually with shims.