RD

RDen

Jul 21, 2014
Austin Texas
Have a 1989 Kubota 4030 SU , desil with a leak towards the bottom of the steering column. it seems to be coming down from behind the cover that is below all the guages. It was not leaking last week, although it steered a little rough the other day, when I first started it, but did fine after it warmed up. anyone know about what this might be, and how to best fix it ? I just got it and don't know much about it yet. Thank you for your help, RD

RDen

Jul 21, 2014
Austin Texas
Have a 1989 Kubota 4030 SU , desil with a leak towards the bottom of the steering column. it seems to be coming down from behind the cover that is below all the guages. It was not leaking last week, although it steered a little rough the other day, when I first started it, but did fine after it warmed up. anyone know about what this might be, and how to best fix it ? I just got it and don't know much about it yet. Thank you for your help, RD
:confused:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I can not really help with your problem directly but can suggest the following:

Put a title on your post that gives some hint of what is wrong.
Most people won't open posts with strange titles.

Second - are you sure about the model number 4030 of the tractor?

The Kubota site has an illustrated parts manual and the 4030 model does not return any parts list. Using some wildcard searches there does appear to me a M4030SU so I think that is what you mean.

Looking at that I imagine your steering box has a leak.

Did this leak start after the cold spell we had here in Austin? You may have had water that froze and cracked a housing.

Howdy from NW Austin.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't have a conventional steering box on that model, you have a hydrostatic steering.
It's a unit that redirects fluid proportionally to a hydraulic cylinder to control the steering.
There is 2 lines that go in and 2 lines that go out of the steering unit.
If it's leaking it will pump out all the hydraulic fluid so you will need to refill that.
It a fairly complex device that costs $1.3K to replace, so I wouldn't suggest you take anything apart unless you are a very skilled mechanic.
Based on your serial # it can have one of 2 units:

Old Unit serial # <= 24638

New Unit Serial #>=24639

Attachments

Last edited: