Question on B3200 HST oil change

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I am going to do a HST oil and filter change on my 2009 B3200HST. The book calls 3.8 gallons as the capacity for the HST and HYDRAULIC system. Is 3.8 gallons the factory "Dry" fill or is this what it takes to do a service change? I plan on changing both filters and cleaning both intake screens (I believe there is two).
Is there a way to completely drain the rams on the front loader or is it worth the hassle of bleeding them out? I have 182 hours total on the tractor and plan to use the Super UDT2.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am going to do a HST oil and filter change on my 2009 B3200HST. The book calls 3.8 gallons as the capacity for the HST and HYDRAULIC system. Is 3.8 gallons the factory "Dry" fill or is this what it takes to do a service change? I plan on changing both filters and cleaning both intake screens (I believe there is two).
Is there a way to completely drain the rams on the front loader or is it worth the hassle of bleeding them out? I have 182 hours total on the tractor and plan to use the Super UDT2.
3.8 gallons should be dry, but don't go by that, go by the dipstick of the sight glass.

Do bother with the rams they don't hold enough to do much of anything.

Last edited:

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Thanks... Is there a temperature where you read "FULL" like an automatic trans? You have said and I know from working on Automatic transmissions that you don't want to over fill and get foaming or air whipped into the fluid.
Generally, I have measured what I drained out on automatics then replaced that amount with clean fluid. I Do have the work shop manual

ALSO, The shop manual says to ONLY use Kubota filters. I bought NAPA which are WIX filters but I will use the Kubota if everyone says to.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks... Is there a temperature where you read "FULL" like an automatic trans? You have said and I know from working on Automatic transmissions that you don't want to over fill and get foaming or air whipped into the fluid.
Generally, I have measured what I drained out on automatics then replaced that amount with clean fluid. I Do have the work shop manual

ALSO, The shop manual says to ONLY use Kubota filters. I bought NAPA which are WIX filters but I will use the Kubota if everyone says to.
Fluid level is checked cold and flat and everything, like a loader, sitting on the ground.

I'm picky, I only use Kubota filters as I've seen and heard of so many issues with aftermarket filters epecially when it come to HST's.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have always checked mine cold and level also. With my ZD mowers I also refill about 2/3rds of the capacity, then gently run the machine for a few minutes before shutting down and topping off to capacity. Didn't have to do that with my previous L3410 though.
I've been burned with aftermarket hst and hydraulic filters. Now I only use Kubota filters for the transmission fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro