Question about loader hydraulics...

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I'm a weevil at this and just want to be sure its safe to unhook my top rams from my bucket and extend them as far as they'll go to see how much travel they have. Can I safely do this?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I'm a weevil at this and just want to be sure its safe to unhook my top rams from my bucket and extend them as far as they'll go to see how much travel they have. Can I safely do this?
Well, it's possible to disconnect the curl cylinder from the bucket and either manually extend the ram or do it under power. If you did it manually it's unlikely you'd do any damage. If you did it under power, then I'd say that since you ask, you don't have the experience to do it safely.

If you decided to go ahead and acquire the experience, I would urge you to extend the ram v_e_r_y... s__l__o__w__l__y, and be aware of what is happening with the other cylinder!

A safer alternative is to research the specs of the cylinder.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Thanks Shaun. If I were to do it I would have done both at the same time. Reckon its best to leave well enough alone.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
The piston has a stop so it not going to come out of the cylinder of course.

But you need to be aware that if you have an older tractor with a lot of use (meaning old/dirty hyd oil), it is not uncommon for crud to build up in the "unused" portion of the cylinder (by "unused" I mean, if you had a 16" long cylinder and mechanically is restricted to 12" of travel, there would 4" of unused travel at the top of the cylinder where the piston never goes) it is likely that there is a build up of crud in the part where the piston is not traveling, so when you unhook the cylinder and run it out to max travel you are running the piston seals over this crud and that can cause a piston-seal leak problem.