PTO shaft stuck on tractor

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I suspect a large 2 jaw 'gear puller' would work to remove the yoke from the PTO shaft,once the 'push pin' has been freed or totally removed.
If the pin moves freely, a C-clamp (?) could hold it in 'release' position', then tighten up on the gear puller.
Doing it this way , NO stress to the internals...

Reactions: 1 user

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I had this issue recently with the PTO shaft for my old, beat post drill stuck on a borrowed tractor. What worked pretty easily was to prop the shaft up on a bucket so it was straight out, put a few large nuts into the PTO shaft hole to press against the tractor shaft and then use a large pry bar between the nuts and the U joint. The lock pin wasn't the issue, the splines were just stuck and prying this way just pushed the shaft out without too much effort and without putting any strain on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had this issue recently with the PTO shaft for my old, beat post drill stuck on a borrowed tractor. What worked pretty easily was to prop the shaft up on a bucket so it was straight out, put a few large nuts into the PTO shaft hole to press against the tractor shaft and then use a large pry bar between the nuts and the U joint. The lock pin wasn't the issue, the splines were just stuck and prying this way just pushed the shaft out without too much effort and without putting any strain on the tractor.
That's a good suggestion. I keep one of those old style "L" shaped levers (lug wrench) used for jacks and to remove the hubcaps for just such leverage needs. They are getting rare, but I paint them orange to be able to find them if I lay one down.

1699808241614.jpeg

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I had that thought this morning and wondered if you could stack some nuts or washers in there and pry.
Nice to hear it has been tried and worked. Sometimes it is the simple things.

Bill

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
Is that push-pin release in the held-down position? If thats anything like the push-pins on PTO yokes I'm familiar with, they have to be pushed pretty much flush to release.
PTO Yoke.jpeg

One sure way to make sure that the push-pin is not locking the yoke on the pto shaft would be to remove the push-pin entirely. On the other end of the push-pin is a retainer, usually a heavy circlip, sometimes a washer and cotter-pin. Remove that retainer, and you should be able to remove the push-pin by tapping on the other end with a pin-punch. Once the push-pin is all the way out, fish-out the spring as well. Then spray pblaster into that hole as well. When you get the yoke off, you can clean-up and de-rust and properly lube those pieces before re-assembly.

The stack of nuts inside the yoke to pry against on the end of the shaft is also something I've done to get a stubborn yoke off.

Take that zerk out of the u-joint cross to give a place to pry, if all this prying and whacking and such were to break that zerk off or tear-out the threads in the u-joint cross, that adds even more fun.

Theoretically, that u-joint cross should be assembled with the zerk away from the tractor pto shaft, so you could more easily sneak the grease coupler onto the zerk without uncoupling the driveline. Obviously, as long as that yoke has been on that shaft, that zerk has not been greased. Also, with the zerk facing the tractor pto shaft, when you push (sometimes kinda hard) the yoke onto the shaft if you over-shoot the lock point, the shaft could shoot through the yoke into the cross area and break the zerk. At this point, not worth pressing apart to do differently.

Wow... 48 posts so far... the Original Poster obviously not the first person to have cussed-out a stuck shaft.

Reactions: 1 user