PTO Shaft Removal from L2350

zrider350

Equipment
L2350
May 26, 2010
Humble, TX
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and to tractors. I recently bent my PTO shaft to the point where fluid was gushing out of the rear. I have since drained the fluid and am attempting to remove the shaft from the tractor so I can replace it. I have removed the bearing casing from the rear but obviously that wasn't enough to remove the entire shaft. I found an inpspection panel that also has a drain plug on on the bottom back half of the tractor. I removed this panel and can see that the shaft that feeds into a bearing that appears to seperate the front and back half of the tractor. There is a circle ring on the front of the bearing. Will removing this enable me to remove the entire shaft or am I going to need to have the tractor split to replace this part? I removed the top half of my gear box to see if it could provide any insight on what needs to be removed from the other side of the tractor. Everything regarding PTO is seated at the bottom of the transmission casing so it doesn't look like it would be easy to work from here. Anyone that could provide some insight on how to proceed would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

zrider350

Equipment
L2350
May 26, 2010
Humble, TX
Is there anyone out there who can provide an answer on this question. Ultimately I am wondering if I need to split the tractor or not to perform this repair. I suspect that I do but anyone with knowledge of this would be very helpful.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I can't answer your question, but there are guys on OTT that can. They haven't had a chance to respond. A lot of us don't have clue how to fix our orange babies, and don't respond but eagerly wait on those that do.

zrider350

Equipment
L2350
May 26, 2010
Humble, TX
You should be able to remove that external clip and withdraw the stub shaft. Here;s a parts schematic view of what you are dealing with.

View attachment 1785
View attachment 1786
Thanks for the response. I got Messicks to send me those diagrams and have been studying them for the past couple weeks in my spare time. One thing I noticed is that my tractor does not have the gear that is on the PTO drive shaft that is housed in the rear of the tractor. Perhaps that is for a dual speed PTO whereas mine is only a 540 RPM. Just a thought, otherwise I am not sure what that is for. That being said, there do not appear to be any external clips that can be removed from the rear of the tractor. I can see where the two shaft meet and seat into the coupling from the inspection panel below but I cannot get it to come out. My thought is 16 years of heating and cooling with expanding and contracting metal has it forged to the coupling. My other thought was that when it got bent the force was sent down the shaft and has damaged the splines inside the coupling and has it stuck on there. Either way I think I am going to give up and bring it into Kubota and have them remove it. Sometimes paying a couple of hundred bucks to have something done is money well spent. :) I appreciate the responses and will continue to use this site as a resource for keeping her running good.