pto protection

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
An overrun clutch allows for the PTO to slow without slowing the implement or damaging the PTO.
With the tractor off and the PTO engaged try and twist the PTO on your tractor it should slip or click in one direction.
An overrun saves abuse to the tractors PTO from a sudden shut off of the PTO from the tractor side.
A slip clutch or shear pin will protect the PTO in the tractor from sudden stopping / binding / heavy lag of an implement.
Shear pins are great for sudden obstructions, and slip clutches are better for over loading.
OK, now I can't wait to get home and get behind my pride and joy and grab the pto shaft and test it the way your explaining.
Now if it turns, that's my test to check it has an internal slip coupler ? Please bare with me on this..... Thank so much for your time.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
:D
Well, it will turn. Unless you put the rear pto in gear, it will turn. :D
If the pto is engaged it will not/should not turn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
:D
Well, it will turn. Unless you put the rear pto in gear, it will turn. :D
If the pto is engaged it will not/should not turn.
I did say to engage the PTO, and yes it will turn unimpeded clockwise and lock (engage) counter clockwise, it's called a one way clutch. Go out and try it on yours, it has one in it! ;)
The older smaller tractors didn't have them and PTO damage can be the results of this.

Now if it turns, that's my test to check it has an internal slip coupler?
Yes, then it has a one way clutch in it.

Last edited:

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
I did say to engage the PTO, and yes it will turn unimpeded clockwise and lock (engage) counter clockwise, it's called a one way clutch. Go out and try it on yours, it has one in it! ;)
The older smaller tractors didn't have them and PTO damage can be the results of this.

Yes, then it has a one way clutch in it.
Thanks for your help