Propane question?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I helped my daughter acquire an old house and then I updated the electrical service. The required inspection for connection had an inspector tell me to run a ground to a short piece of copper plumbing despite the fact that CPVC was on both sides of that piece. The previous owner patched in wherever the copper failed instead of simply replacing considerable amounts that was sure to fail. It is all entertainment and doesn't need to make sense.
4 electricians and/or 4 electrical inspectors = 9 different opinions!

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thank you! I'm kind of in a grumpy mood today and I was wondering if I was being too harsh, but articles like that piss me off so much.:mad::devilish:
I saw one today where a social influencer 'electrician' said professional electricians align the screwdriver slots vertically in the outlet and switch plates, so that they don't accumulate dust and so he can tell if an amateur homeowner/electrician has tampered with the wiring, in case he is called to do 'warranty' work. Good grief.

• Wow

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I saw one today where a social influencer 'electrician' said professional electricians align the screwdriver slots vertically in the outlet and switch plates, so that they don't accumulate dust and so he can tell if an amateur homeowner/electrician has tampered with the wiring, in case he is called to do 'warranty' work. Good grief.
Been clocking cover screws since the 1970's. It takes less than a second and looks nicer - especially on covers with multiple screws. Never heard anything about setting traps to catch amateurs. Several of the guys I worked with do the same.

If you really want some entertainment start a discussion on duplex ground up / ground down. :)

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If you really want some entertainment start a discussion on duplex ground up / ground down. :)
Yeah, I'm ground down (the correct way :cool: ), and my BIL is ground up. Neither of us is a professional electrician. The professional in a previous house didn't bother to tighten the screws on the switches.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yeah, I'm ground down (the correct way :cool: ), and my BIL is ground up. Neither of us is a professional electrician. The professional in a previous house didn't bother to tighten the screws on the switches.
I threw in the towel on my OCD of face plate screws and went Screw less!

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
What a bizarre article. I read and reread it. Most of it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the gas piping. For example, the author talks about pilot lights and gas control valves, neither of which have to do with the gas line.

And then there's this:

Has anybody ever seen a black pipe fitting or pipe that's only good for natural gas but not propane? This is the part of the article most relevant to the title, and yet all we get is "there may be subtle differences".

This reads more like "throw a bunch of irrelevant stuff at the reader so you can tell them to hire a professional."
I've seen so many websites in the last year posting crap articles like this, and many others. I suspect they're using AI to write stuff, based on what's found on the internet. I learned a long time ago to not believe most of what I read on the internet, but AI doesn't understand that... Often, these "technical" articles are downright dangerous if the average Joe isn't smart enough to fact check what he's reading.

More related, make sure you pressure test the system properly after installation...

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Must be an awful shortage of real news. A day or two ago there was a headline "Genius Hack To Keep Clippings Out of Flower Beds". It explained that you should use a string trimmer in a direction that throws the clippings away from the flower bed.

When did common sense become a genius hack?