Problem?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, there's no head on it.:rolleyes:
Appears to be a piece missing and a crack in #1 piston?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Two pistons near top of stroke at same time?

I have not thought about that in years so may be way off of the reservation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Since #1 appears to be at tdc... Looks like a bent rod on #4

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Since #1 appears to be at tdc... Looks like a bent rod on #4
Nail hit squarely on it's head! Good job!

Yes. Tractor was brought to me with the complaint of "smokes, low power, hard to start". Immediately I suspected a low compression issue so I asked the gentleman who dropped it off if there's any history on it. What happened prior to the start of the complaint. Guy says "we were servicing it and changed the fuel filter. After changing the filter, it wouldn't start, so we sprayed starting fluid to get it going".

All 4 rods bent, #2 is bent less than the other 3 are and it only runs on #2 cylinder. Compression is #1=280, #2=460, #3=140, #4=120. Should all be 500-600. # 4 rod is bent so severely that the S-shaped rod contacted the bottom of the cylinder and has broken the block. So now, not only does Mr. Customer get to buy 4 rods and 4 pistons and gaskets & fluids, he also gets to buy a block and crank. Why crank? The #4 rod is bent in 2 directions. Continued use destroyed/spun the bearing and wiped out the crank. And yes starting fluid is so violent on parts that I've seen cracks propagate at the rod journal fillets on some engines. So this turned into an $8500 repair, or if they want to replace the engine complete, a little less. All from a "shot" of "starting fluid". They didn't tell me what kind of starting fluid. Could've been a gas rag, could've been WD40, deep woods off, who knows. Someone knows but they're not saying. Not that it matters now.

This is a grand L 40 series, so a mechanical engine. If it were it a grand L 60 engine, it's possible that the repair bill could get up around $20,000. And yes I've done one. Figure in labor rate of close to $100/hr + fluids, filters, gaskets, engine assembly, DPF, and you get the idea. One shot is all it takes.

Just a heads up for those who are tempted to use starting fluid. Don't. If it won't start, find out why. Or keep spraying it--I need the work this time of year.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not sure what scrap prices are today but I'm sure there is at least 10 bucks worth of scrap there.... lol

I've never used starting fluid on any diesel in 35 years. Gas motors maybe.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Lugbolt, don’t you love when people work on things they shouldn’t. Here’s an easy one, car towed in wouldn’t start, they said it’s not the battery,they just put a new one in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lugbolt, don’t you love when people work on things they shouldn’t. Here’s an easy one, car towed in wouldn’t start, they said it’s not the battery,they just put a new one in it.

For starters, the ground clamp is loose. Second, the terminals are reversed [emoji14] Daughter had a similar issue after she had the auto parts store replace her battery.

She brought it to me, I popped the hood, first thing I checked was if the cables moved. She was up and running in the length of time for me to walk into the garage and get the right wrench to tighten the clamps

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
For starters, the ground clamp is loose. Second, the terminals are reversed [emoji14] Daughter had a similar issue after she had the auto parts store replace her battery.

She brought it to me, I popped the hood, first thing I checked was if the cables moved. She was up and running in the length of time for me to walk into the garage and get the right wrench to tighten the clamps

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOT. Ground clamp loose was the least of their worries!;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOT. Ground clamp loose was the least of their worries!;)
Second sentence mentioned the swapped terminals

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
After the guy got irate on the phone because we wouldn’t tell him where the magic master reset button was on the car and saying he is not having the car towed 2 hrs so we can charge him to press this magic button for him he finally does have the car towed. Then shows up later in the day to check on it, I had just gotten to it. He proceeds to start yelling again that we turned his battery around (luckily the car was where the wrecker dropped it and right in front of one of the security cameras). After a little bit of time getting all the blown fuses changed, finally get it started to find out what else was damaged. Needless to say his simple dead battery turned into a $1500 repair bill.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hey - - I'm late to the party, but got both right! (Didn't notice the loose clamp though)

Trust me, I'm not that smart...sometimes better to be lucky than good! :p:eek::p

That was cool, thanks to lugbolt and Fordtech! :)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Hey - - I'm late to the party, but got both right! (Didn't notice the loose clamp though)

Trust me, I'm not that smart...sometimes better to be lucky than good! :p:eek::p

That was cool, thanks to lugbolt and Fordtech! :)
The other day when that car came in I was debating starting a thread about crazy things that those of us that work on things everyday see. I’ve been working in the car dealer world for 16 years since I was 16. You never know what is going to come rolling through the door. Especially when somebody has already been in there.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The other day when that car came in I was debating starting a thread about crazy things that those of us that work on things everyday see. I***8217;ve been working in the car dealer world for 16 years since I was 16. You never know what is going to come rolling through the door. Especially when somebody has already been in there.
I have many buddies in your line of work. This morning, stopped to "supervise" (translation: shoot the bull with) the guys at a place I've used since you were an infant! :eek::eek:

Cars/trucks anymore are so difficult for a novice to deal with. I can do brakes, etc., but anything engine-related needs an expert.

Tractors now have just as much technology. Some of the things that lugbolt and other guys here on OTT deal with is WAY beyond me.

My hat's off to you and everyone else that can understand and fix these things. You guys have my utmost respect. :)

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Towed into my friends shop as a no start... died on the highway. When they cranked it and the exhaust was whistling... this is what he found on disassembly. IMG_0634.jpg

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why my 2 tractors are 10 years old. All mechanical. Only electric gizmo is the fuel cutoff and that is fine with me. When I bought my new Ford, got the extended factory warranty. Way too much stuff in it that would befuddle me.

I like the battery deal. Stupid is as stupid does.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Towed into my friends shop as a no start... died on the highway. When they cranked it and the exhaust was whistling... this is what he found on disassembly.
Pau - what to heck is that? Looks like Cheetos!?!?:eek::eek:

Last edited: