Problem with front driveshaft trans output -HELP!

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Was poking around my B5100D a little while ago and found the front-drive driveshaft yolk is extremely loose/worn on the transmission output shaft. So badly so that the ears of the yolk are actually worn from scraping the wall of the transmission tunnel. I am actually amazed the front end is still pulling. Anyway, I have not pulled the driveshaft yet to see if the damage is to the splines on the yolk, the output shaft, or both. Are these parts available? Replacing the yolk is no big deal, but what is involved in replacing that front output? Does the tractor need to be split? Any input, advice, or info is much appreciated. Thanks!

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Ok. Even though nobody chimed in, I need to add on to my original question. I was going to pull the front driveshaft to take a better look at the splines, but the yoke is held in by a roll pin. Doesn't seem like there is a way to tap that out without splitting the tractor. Is that really the only way to replace these parts?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looking at Kubota parts online it looks like there is a "roll pin" at each U-joint. Kubota calls them "pin springs".

I'm not familiar with you tractor specifically, but you should be able to drive the roll pin out of the back joint pretty easily.

The front looks like, by looking at the parts page, you need to remove four bolts to get the housing off the front U-joint, the drive that roll pin out. Then the drive shaft will be able to collapse to get it down.

Are you just looking at the tractor, trying to fix it, or do you have some manuals?

Might go here, http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

Click on "accept", enter you B5100 and go to "drive shaft group" to study it.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
That drive shaft/propeller shaft appears to be solid without a center coupler. It looks like the D2Cat is right removing those pins should be enough. Failing that, you wouldn't have to split the tractor. It would be easier to move the front axle forward.

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have studied those schematics thoroughly. I understand how the driveshaft comes out by removing the roll pins. Problem is that the pin in the yoke closest to the trans is not in line with the access port, and therefore cannot be driven out. Another guy elsewhere on the Internet said he drilled a hole through the trans tunnel to gain acces as opposed to splitting the machine, but I think that was a much bigger tractor. Just trying to see if I'm missing something here. I could split the machine, but it sure seems like a big pita to replace a u-joint...

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
From pictures I have looked at it appears similar to my b7200hst. I just recently replaced the rear universal on mine. I was able to spin the joint until it was vertical and drove it out with a pin punch. Then I disassembled the cover over the front joint and removed shaft. Overall it was a relatively easy repair.

Thrasher5621

Equipment
B7800
Apr 21, 2016
Angola
Good Morning! I have a B7800 that has developed a front wheel drive issue. I ran across you post. Can you tell me how your tractor acted prior to any repair? Mine makes a binding "noise" when the fron wheels are engaged. It also comes out of 4-wheel drive hard. I often have to move forward and reverse in order to get it to come out of 4-wheel drive. Kubota dealer is not being a great deal of help on an analysis. I am leaning towards a front drive shaft issues and have brought this upo to the dealer...... He is kinda blowing me off!

Any insight you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated !

Thanks.... Mark

aurellijus

Equipment
Kutbota st401
Jul 15, 2023
Lithuania
Good Morning! I have a B7800 that has developed a front wheel drive issue. I ran across you post. Can you tell me how your tractor acted prior to any repair? Mine makes a binding "noise" when the fron wheels are engaged. It also comes out of 4-wheel drive hard. I often have to move forward and reverse in order to get it to come out of 4-wheel drive. Kubota dealer is not being a great deal of help on an analysis. I am leaning towards a front drive shaft issues and have brought this upo to the dealer...... He is kinda blowing me off!

Any insight you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated !

Thanks.... Mark
Hi there,

Any luck with sorting it out? I have the exactly same issue after changing a seal.

Please advice if you managed to fix it and what it was.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi there,

Any luck with sorting it out? I have the exactly same issue after changing a seal.

You are wanting answers to posts that are 8+ years old.

Why don't you start a new thread and ask the questions you need answers to.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi there,

Original post was nearly 7 years ago?
Maybe don't hold your breath, for an OP response?

Reactions: 1 user