Pressure on Hydraulic lines

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I keep my LP grappler in a shed. But it gets pretty hot in there. Last time when I went to connect the hydraulic lines. It had some much pressure I couldn’t connect. Is there any way to relieve the pressure other than pushing on the when I go to connect with a piece of wood or a screw driver

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Have a L3130 Also have a grapple sits outside. Just don't think temp change 50 or 60 degrees expandes the oil that much. Maby the grapple was not all the way closed when you removed it. This will put psi on one of lines. I have done this. I use a 1/4" punch rag & tap the pin in to relive psi. The flat face on a punch will not damage the pin a screwdriver will work but harder to keep on the pin. my 2 cents

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just don't think temp change 50 or 60 degrees expandes the oil that much.
The oil cannot expand so thats not how it works in the case ov a gas the Ideal Gas law defines the relationship:

PV =nRT

So what is the relationship for a petroleum oil. Interesting question and Google returned a very unteresting P v T answer. Next time it happens might be educational to test the.effect of a couple ice packs applied to the cylinders. Or for a more immediate result couple the hoses together with a pressure gauge in the middle and apply a heat gun to the cylinders. Looks like a small delta T produces a big change.

Dan

Pressure-temperature-relationship-of-the-hydraulic-fluid-inside-the-pressure-vessel.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The male poppet type, you can whack it with a hardwood block/mallet to relieve pressure. A brass punch also works. Females are a bit harder to deal with (shocking, I know). You can unscrew the fitting a bit to relieve pressure but arguably not ideal SOP.

There are a variety of tools designed to assist with the issue. Example:https://www.amazon.com/Original-Hydraulic-Coupling-Pressure-Decompression/dp/B0BRTB5W4B

I don’t have any sort of decompression tool so not making a recommendation, just pointing out there are a variety of options.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
fwiw: over the decades I have become accustomed to whenever I take a hydraulic piece of equipment off, on the impliment side I give the poppet of both the male and female end a quick push in.
A small amount fluid bleeds into the rag.
Bleeding off a little fluid each time I change an implement (fingers stay crossed) seems to keep almost all my connection problems away.
I also cycle the tractor controls with acc. on but engine off prior to hooking stuff up to bleed off pressure from tractor side. Sometimes I even give the poppets a push in before facing the implement.
I keep small wooden dowls scatted around my shops for making this work.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The male poppet type, you can whack it with a hardwood block/mallet to relieve pressure. A brass punch also works. Females are a bit harder to deal with (shocking, I know). You can unscrew the fitting a bit to relieve pressure but arguably not ideal SOP.

There are a variety of tools designed to assist with the issue. Example:https://www.amazon.com/Original-Hydraulic-Coupling-Pressure-Decompression/dp/B0BRTB5W4B

I don’t have any sort of decompression tool so not making a recommendation, just pointing out there are a variety of options.
I'll put a clean rag to cover the end before tapping with a mallet. Stops oil spray.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
You could buy a set of couplers to connect to your grapple when it is parked, and just leave the open ends in a pail with a cover. That way any oil pressure would just drain into the pail.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Take and change the couplers on your grapple and tractor so that each has a male end and a female end. That way when you take off the grapple you can couple the hoses together. If coupled together then they equalize the oil in the hoses as temperature changes and will be easy to hook up.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Take and change the couplers on your grapple and tractor so that each has a male end and a female end. That way when you take off the grapple you can couple the hoses together. If coupled together then they equalize the oil in the hoses as temperature changes and will be easy to hook up.
If you do that, leave the grapple in a middle position, if it is at the end of travel pressure can still build as it tries to force the immovable cylinder.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I keep my LP grappler in a shed. But it gets pretty hot in there. Last time when I went to connect the hydraulic lines. It had some much pressure I couldn’t connect. Is there any way to relieve the pressure other than pushing on the when I go to connect with a piece of wood or a screw driver
Best (not least expensive) solution is a set of flat-faced couplers.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If you do that, leave the grapple in a middle position, if it is at the end of travel pressure can still build as it tries to force the immovable cylinder.
Actually if it's fully retracted it can and will still move. If its fully extended it can't.

Dan

lgeist04

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC, LP RCF2060, LP SGC1060, Woodland Mills WG24, Titan forks.
Jan 2, 2020
Soldier ks
Leave the grapple all the way open when you disconnect the hoses. Then connect the hoses together allowing the grapple to close and the fluid in the lines to drain into the grapple cylinders. I have not had issues since I started doing this.

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
Awesome thanks for all the help. I will try connecting the ends together. Also like the idea of putting extra connectors and letting it drain into a pail.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I soon as I unhook the attachment I hook this up. There is air in the black pipe. Once in a while I open the ball valve to let the oil out.

Attachments

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Older tractor equipment used agricultural type quick connectors. Not as easy to keep clean but easier to decompress. Gear tractors very tolerant hydraulic contamination. Construction equipment lead the flatface type QD, easy to wipe clean and better for hydraulic drive transmission. Also compliant to fluid loss on construction sites.

Most of my equipment is now converted to flatface QDs. Techniques described help connecting 95% of the time. I’m not as big of a gorilla as I once was so tools help too. Homemade or store bought.
IMG_2279.jpeg
IMG_2280.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The single biggest advantage of flat face couplers and the reason they are used on construction equipment is flow rate. A 1/2 body flst face coupler can handle twice the flow of an agricultural coupler and with less pressure drop.

If you don't need high flow you are not getting much for the substantial price premium.

Dan