Powered Top and Leveling links

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
This was a bit of a distraction under the Hydralink thread so I'm moving the conversation to this thread.

NIWolfman pointed this out in response to my post:

Default Re: HYDRAULINK Top Link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaunRH View Post

linear actuators:
I want a matching set to handle both top and side links (each side!) so 3 in all, and have a joystick controller to handle them. I'm still looking for the exact right ones, but the ones I've found so far that fit the bill are really expensive, almost as much as hydraulics.

I also have to come up with some kind of damping/limiting system so that it doesn't get damaged in case the ground does something unexpected... okay, they operator does something stupid, but if you don't blame the ground for something, you aren't farming/ranching right!
I'm sorry I completely disagree, It will not work, Period!

Top links are under extreme force and load, you will not find a linear actuator that will withstand anywhere near the force needed and no where near the strength of a hydraulic cylinder, or even a simple threaded top link.
Best I could find is 1000lbs of lift or pull, they don't even list shock strength.
I don't think I've even seen a linear actuator that was made out of steel, all the ones I've seen are aluminum.
With the force being transmitted to a gear set, it would fail in a very quick hurry.
To which I said that I had seen stronger and I needed to find my old research. The post on the Electro-Hydraulic powered blade on the RTV reminded me that I had found some of my older research (not all) on the actuator types. This website outlines many of the different kinds (including ones used on that plow) of electric powered links, some screw drive some electro-hydraulic.

http://www.joycedayton.com/products/electric-cylinders

Now, I've never said any would be cheap but they have some advantages over dedicated hydraulic runs, ie: no additional valves, plumbing, and tapping into the tractor hydraulics. These are rated to 33 tons of force and that should be enough to handle both top and level (side) link(s). This is not the only company that makes them.

To NIWolfman's point, they are used in agriculture but I have not seen one purposed to this specific use. It doesn't mean they can't handle it, it more likely means it's easier to go back to the tried and true rear remotes/controls and use the tractors hydraulics. So, I'm not saying this isn't a replacement, but if all you want is a little Four Arrow electric switch attached to your current loader control base, this would be a way to accomplish that and control that 3 point hitch in/out tilt left/right.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
This was a bit of a distraction under the Hydralink thread so I'm moving the conversation to this thread...

NIWolfman pointed this out in response to my post...

To which I said that I had seen stronger and I needed to find my old research...
Oh, wow! What a memory! Hope mine is that good when I get to be your age! (I'm stuck at 14 cuz mama snapped at me, "Shaun, act your age!" ... and she never updated her demand.) :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Actually I had forgotten about it until I saw the electro-hydraulic cylinders on that snow plow mount. Then I started remembering all about it.

Using electric actuators would allow me to avoid having my L3200 look like a hydraulic plumbers nightmare and still give me the ability to give it full control on the top and side links, so this has been a research project for me for several years. It started out as one for our Oliver 1265 but it has rear remotes and a hydraulic top link already, I just wanted 'tilt' adjustability without going nuts with the hydraulics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So I restate my earlier statement.
Not going to work unless you want to go broke doing it! :D