Potential Darwin Award? - Hydraulic Line failure

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Don't know. Physics says the scissor jack one looks more stable to me.
I would be super careful leaning while up in this.
I picked it up Saturday morning and used it yesterday. It has slots for a forklift on the bottom so I used my clamp on forks to put a little down pressure on it. Between that and the outriggers, the base was rock solid. The aluminum boom has some flex in it, so it's a little unnerving (and more so the higher you go) but after getting used to it, it went well. I'm going to see if I can find a place that services them. I think it needs some routine maintenance, lube and adjustments, to be perfect. It came with operation and maintenance manuals, but they aren't user friendly.

It weighs around 700lbs and my loader can only lift it a half a foot off the ground so I think I'm going to get these 3-point adjustable forks from Tractor Supply: Adjustable forks Those are the only 3 point forks I could find that look like they would adjust narrow enough to fit. That should make moving it around on grass easier. It rolls great on the driveway though.

1718597704132.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I want to use my B8200 with a BF300 loader and clamp on forks with a section of staging to power wash and stain my house, kind of like this guy:
View attachment 130758

But I got to thinking what happens if a hose gives out? How likely is that to happen? I don't want to win a Darwin Award.
Rent a better power washer. I can wash 4 stories high with my washers....

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Rent a better power washer. I can wash 4 stories high with my washers....
I have a 18' extension for the power washer but my arms are jelly after a half hour. I can't imagine I'd be able to do anything with a 36' extension!

I'm not just spraying water on the siding though, I'm spraying chemical stripper and then stripping with the 3,000psi power washer, the nozzle about 6" from the surface.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I have a 18' extension for the power washer but my arms are jelly after a half hour. I can't imagine I'd be able to do anything with a 36' extension!

I'm not just spraying water on the siding though, I'm spraying chemical stripper and then stripping with the 3,000psi power washer, the nozzle about 6" from the surface.
I never use extensions, my power washing gun usually has a 6 inch nipple/wand attached to it. I can spray 4 stories from the ground without extensions.... Be careful using too much pressure or chems on wood because you can fur it which will then need sanded before panting.

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
I never use extensions, my power washing gun usually has a 6 inch nipple/wand attached to it. I can spray 4 stories from the ground without extensions.... Be careful using too much pressure or chems on wood because you can fur it which will then need sanded before panting.
Ya, you can damage wood quick with a washer if you're not carful.

Buy I'm not painting it. Its rough cut board and batten siding and a few years back when I was going to restain, I realized they had stopped making the good stuff (Woodguard). So I made the mistake of using a semi transparent latex stain. Now I have to strip that crap off so I can put Woodguard back on now that they are making it again. Woodguards just an oil. No lap marks, no drip marks, no prep to recoat, just slather some on and you're good for at least 7 years before recoating. Turns a nice honey color. So glad to be done with the stripping part. I think I might buy 25 gallons of the Woodguard so it will last me the rest of my life and I wont have to worry about it going out of production again.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I'm too old for the high stuff. At the end of the day, hiring a company that has the right tools, young guys and insurance.
I'm building a new shop. That is, it is being built FOR me. I'll do the electrical wiring for lights and outlets. Someone else is putting in the panel. I'll do the fiber optic connection to the house and the switch along with an Access Point. Walls, roof, giant windows, siding? Nope, hire it out.
Where I am there are a lot of tree guys. Some hardcore climb. some sling and climb, the best use giant bucket trucks. The bucket truck guys can do 10X the work and 10X safer in a single day for less money. All while I stand far away and go 'Ooooooo'.

Reactions: 1 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Ya, you can damage wood quick with a washer if you're not carful.

Buy I'm not painting it. Its rough cut board and batten siding and a few years back when I was going to restain, I realized they had stopped making the good stuff (Woodguard). So I made the mistake of using a semi transparent latex stain. Now I have to strip that crap off so I can put Woodguard back on now that they are making it again. Woodguards just an oil. No lap marks, no drip marks, no prep to recoat, just slather some on and you're good for at least 7 years before recoating. Turns a nice honey color. So glad to be done with the stripping part. I think I might buy 25 gallons of the Woodguard so it will last me the rest of my life and I wont have to worry about it going out of production again.

I have been doing power washing and wood restoration professionally for over 20 years. Seen and done it all!

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I'm too old for the high stuff. At the end of the day, hiring a company that has the right tools, young guys and insurance.
I'm building a new shop. That is, it is being built FOR me. I'll do the electrical wiring for lights and outlets. Someone else is putting in the panel. I'll do the fiber optic connection to the house and the switch along with an Access Point. Walls, roof, giant windows, siding? Nope, hire it out.
Where I am there are a lot of tree guys. Some hardcore climb. some sling and climb, the best use giant bucket trucks. The bucket truck guys can do 10X the work and 10X safer in a single day for less money. All while I stand far away and go 'Ooooooo'.
[/QUOTEYou have the proper tools and meter to do a fiber connection? You 7

Do you have the proper tools to make AND check the fiber connection? There is a huge difference in fiber making a good connection or a poor connection resulting it severe signal loss. At AT&T we were required to achieve a certain signal rating to pass before we could turn it on.

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
I have been doing power washing and wood restoration professionally for over 20 years. Seen and done it all!
I just noticed your screen name and picture. Do you call them in or trap or use dogs? I do some calling and I have a dog who loves to track down any wounded ones.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just noticed your screen name and picture. Do you call them in or trap or use dogs? I do some calling and I have a dog who loves to track down any wounded ones.
Perhaps “off topic”…? Maybe a PM would be better?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Do you have the proper tools to make AND check the fiber connection? There is a huge difference in fiber making a good connection or a poor connection resulting it severe signal loss. At AT&T we were required to achieve a certain signal rating to pass before we could turn it on.
Yup. Been doing networking stuff for 20+ Years. Home is fully wired with 128 ports and a 48 port managed Ubiquiti switch with four SFP ports, in the new building there will be a 24 port POE switch. The two are going to be connected with a multi-mode fiber, I am pulling an eight strand bundle even though I'll only need two. I'll also pull a couple of shielded Ethernet cables as well. The fiber is going in the sleeve with the power feed (and back feed from the genset), the Ethernet is going in the sleeve that will have the water line, hopefully it will still be a clean signal.
Here is the house wiring closet (before I upgraded the switch, router and some other bits. Yellow is data, green is telephone, blue is 'other'):
Wiring Closet-SM.JPG

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I call them in. Call in an occasional bobcat as well and we FINALLY will be having our first season on them soon. Look forward to a full body mount.