Pedal issue on BX25D

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I'll throw this out there to see if it has happened to anyone else. I've taken off the FEL and Back Hoe, and installed the snow plow. I have about a long 1/4 mile driveway out to the paved access road. 4 passes with the blade and the driveway is beautiful. I get to a wide parking area and start pushing snow to the far side to keep it a large turn around area. Here's when the problem starts. I back straight up to the road, get ready to move to the next line to push, and it feels like foward on the HST is stopped by a bolt or?? I'm talking rock solid, like its on a bump stop. I can put my toe under the pedal and lift, and reverse works fine, no foward, at all, pedal just stops. Ok, I back out to the freshly plowed driveway, and get underneath, clean as can be, no snow, branches, not even dirty. Skid plate is in place, which keeps all debris out of the way. So I drive in reverse all the way to the shop, 500' get a drop light, remove the skid plate, not only is it clean and dry under there, it's shiny and clean. Every bolt has a nylock, every rod has a clip, WTF?? So I get my phone to take some pics, and as I am making a video of the linkage and pedal movement from underneath, it NOW seems to work perfectly. Forward, reverse, just like the new tractor it is and is supposed to be. For 15 minutes, running or not, it was totally locked up, now it's as if nothing ever happened. It is a 2014 BX25D, with 89 hours on it. I am totally baffled as to what caused this....... Ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
BearSkinner,

look at a cross section of the linkage's - there are potential bolts, washers and connections all though that, I know you looked - but the interaction of the "cruise control" the other components could cause a problem. Based one what you describe - a linkage is binding, or a valve is "frozen" shut - somehow the cold/snow may have caused a problem....weird as it sounds.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
That is exactly what I was thinking, that some linkage had come loose or jammed. I was able to freely move the lever for the cruise control and the pedal for reverse. With the quick disconnect skid plate off, I can put hands on all the linkage, and everything moves freely, but is tight. It's just very strange. I just played with it again, and everything seems fine again.
No snow gets up there, and it's actually dry and almost dusty. I'm just worried I'll be out a quarter mile away, and not be able to drive it back to the shop. One of those "what the heck moments"

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I guess my thought if it happens again would be to shut the tractor off and rock the pedal back and forth hard enough to hear, if and where the linkage is hitting something. Next would be to disconnect the linkage at some point close to the transmission to be sure it is not an internal problem.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Well I hate problems that are intermittant, but I just went out and plowed the whole private road to the main road, over s 1/4 mile, than did my driveway and parking area, than my neighbors driveway, with absolutely zero issues. I'm glad, it ran and performed flawlessly, but it's still in the back of my mind. It was suggested possibly the cruise rattled a little and bound up with the pedal..... Guess if it ever happens again one more thing to check, but it's parked for the day now.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Ok, it did it again, for about one minute on the 27th. I turned it off looked at everything underneath, nothing. When I fired it back up to back it in the shop, it worked just fine. Has been working like the NEW tractor it is, till right now. I cleared the driveway and private road out to the street, about 2,000'. I came back in the yard, and was pushing easy around the carport a and covered shop. I backed up to make another pass, DONE...... No forward at all again.
So it's a new tractor, with 94 hours, still under warranty for another year. The local Kubota dealer ( where I purchased it) is sending out a tech with a trailer, just in case. I have fired it up a couple times, still no forward. At least it is like that for when the tech shows up, he can see it, and hopefully it's just something stupid simple, but ya never know. I'll post up what the deal is, once I know.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
if it was mine - the damn thing would work perfectly when he shows up, then as the truck pulls out the drive it would be normal again, broken!:D

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
if it was mine - the damn thing would work perfectly when he shows up, then as the truck pulls out the drive it would be normal again, broken!:D
That's exactly what I thought. So the tech arrives, and I had a nice tarp laying out under the BX, with the skid plate removed. After five minutes of head scratching and fiddling with the pedal assembly, by the tech, he removed all the linkage, and the pedal still does not move! At least I know I am not crazy now, the technician says you really never see a problem with these BX's.
OK, here's why I brought up the post about the letter about seats falling off, that was sent out from Kubota...... When my seat fell off last December while spinning the seat back from backhoe position to drive, I went to the shop and got a new bolt, washer and NYLOCK. I never found the washer and nut. .......
So behind the Reverse pedal lever, down thru the floor, and somewhere along the frame rail, the technician pulls out a metric nut, somehow stuck under the front of the reverse pedal. Apparently a year ago when it fell out of the seat, it somehow rolled down, thru that tiny hole for the reverse pedal, and it miraculously stayed in there, rattling around until about ten days ago, when it started interfering with the pedal assembly. I am very glad it was a stupid simple problem, and not some hydro issue or who knows what. Wow. Long story short , Watch Your Nuts!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Nothing more rewarding then finding the cause of a problem like that. Now you can be at ease while down the road in a storm!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Awesome you found the problem! Very funny too.:D

Last summer, I was driving my Craftsman HST lawn tractor. I saw a long stick on the ground. Just as I was about to run it over, the though went through my head...'boy, I hope that does not pop up and destroy the HST fan or something'... and all forward motion stops!:eek: I trudge back to the house, get a wheel barrow, jack, tools, some cribbing. It starts to drizzle. Jack it up, pull the rear wheel off and see a 2" long bit of stick jammed into the mechanism that permits freewheeling. Pulled it out, all fixed. Rain stops.:cool:

About that seat nut. As soon as I saw all the posts, I checked my own BX. Nylocked already.:)

Murphy's Law is so true.:p

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
un-nut-believable~!:D:)

When I got the recall - I went out and checked me ol NUT under my seat - and found another nut and double nutted that mofo......

what a crazy problem!

well glad you have that solved, hell of a load off your brain! NOW GET back to a tractoring!!! :D:D:)

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Just thought about something this morning while drinking my coffee. I didn't find the washer either ( took a year for the nut to turn up!) the last time my seat fell off.......... Who knows where that could have rolled to.***128563;