Overheated and now can’t start -g1800

andersonTX

Equipment
G1800
Feb 28, 2024
Texas
I didn’t realize it, but my radiator had rusted through the winter. I went to mow a little and it got up to normal temp pretty good then after about 10 minutes the heat needle went all the way to the top and then some. I shut it down but forgot to disengage the pto.
Well I want to move it back into the garage to replace the radiator (that they don’t stock anymore) but it cranks and doesn’t start. Little white smoke out the pipe but that’s all.

what did I damage? Or where do I start looking. I’m charging the battery right now as it did seem a little weak.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The usual problem is a busted head gasket. Others who KNOW your engine will say if that's it or other bad stuff.

Obviously need to replace the rad, might as well do rad hoses and clamps now and maybe the thermostat. I'd also 'flush' the block while it's the the garage. Maybe replace the fuel filter(s), top up the fuel tank,clean battery cables,replace if old or 'possibly corroded'.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's cranking at a good speed then it should start.
Even if you overheated it to the point of head cracking, it should still start and run.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
rings stuck in the pistons from overheating. Generally caused when the soft aluminum pistons start to transfer aluminum to the cylinder wall, which "wipes" parts of aluminum into the ring lands.

In other words, do a compression test. If low and I suspect it probably is, pull the engine off, then pull the head and oil pan, remove pistons and inspect.

I have one of those mowers. Real sensitive to overheating. Thankfully ours is in decent shape now. Before dad passed, he hit it with starting fluid after running it out of fuel and broke the piston. I had to rebuild it, but it runs perfect now. Good mower, but they ARE antiques and they are also somewhat expensive to fix when that day comes.

andersonTX

Equipment
G1800
Feb 28, 2024
Texas
rings stuck in the pistons from overheating. Generally caused when the soft aluminum pistons start to transfer aluminum to the cylinder wall, which "wipes" parts of aluminum into the ring lands.

In other words, do a compression test. If low and I suspect it probably is, pull the engine off, then pull the head and oil pan, remove pistons and inspect.

I have one of those mowers. Real sensitive to overheating. Thankfully ours is in decent shape now. Before dad passed, he hit it with starting fluid after running it out of fuel and broke the piston. I had to rebuild it, but it runs perfect now. Good mower, but they ARE antiques and they are also somewhat expensive to fix when that day comes.
thanks man, I’m guessing this is basically it. I don’t have a diesel compression tester since this is my only diesel but I’m going to see if I can borrow one. Then I’ll have at least the first part of my answer

andersonTX

Equipment
G1800
Feb 28, 2024
Texas
I put some kroil oil down each glow plug hole for a week and it started. was kind of blown away actually that it worked, but maybe it'll keep running. need to fix the leak in the radiator because i can't find a new one.