Operating the L3901

Brian526

Equipment
2015 Kubota L3901 with LA 525 with QA bucket, QH15, RCR 1860, BB 1560, RTR 2064
Jun 27, 2015
Western Pa
Hi! This is my first post and my first tractor! So I am a newbie big time.. Have a couple questions...during my second time operating the tractor while using the FEL the rpm's dropped on me like it was going to stall then came back up...is this normal... Was operating/maneuvering the bucket both times... I did have a hydraulic leak I found this morning...I tightened up the fitting...seems to have stopped.. Also checked the engine oil and hydraulic oil..was fine.. Any input is greatly appreciated!!! Ty!!!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Brian526, did you happen to lean to the right when the engine RPMs went down? The safety switch is under the left side of the seat and if you lean to the right too far it will kill the engine.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Brian.

Brian526

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Western Pa
Brian526, did you happen to lean to the right when the engine RPMs went down? The safety switch is under the left side of the seat and if you lean to the right too far it will kill the engine.
I don't think....but I will pay attention to that if or when it happens again....Ty!

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
i am starting to get a little annoyed with the operator safety switch. leaning to the right has got me a handful of times. i am all for safety but seriously did they think we weren't going to move in the seat?

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
i am starting to get a little annoyed with the operator safety switch. leaning to the right has got me a handful of times. i am all for safety but seriously did they think we weren't going to move in the seat?
The one on my 3800 stopped working after hitting the 2yr mark. It is not missed. There is no replacement for good operating practices - and when such a device interferes with good operating practices, it's no longer serving its purpose.

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
I've noticed the same sudden drop with my 3901. After I learned about the safety switch I now keep my butt firmly planted in the seat; don't believe it's happened since.

Rainy day project for me is to jump this switch so it's no longer an issue. I'm all for safety, but this is bordering on being too much a "nanny" device and is overly intrusive. If I wanted to be that safe I would just roll myself in bubble wrap and sit indoors. :mad:

yamatitan

Equipment
L3901
Jun 28, 2015
Louisiana
It gets me all the time, when I first got mine a couple months I kept leaning over to see where my mower was and it would bog down. I thought the tractor was just stalling and thought it was a pos compared to my dads old kubota that would mow through anything. I finally realized it was the safety switch and its gonna get wired down pretty soon.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I've noticed the same sudden drop with my 3901. After I learned about the safety switch I now keep my butt firmly planted in the seat; don't believe it's happened since.

Rainy day project for me is to jump this switch so it's no longer an issue. I'm all for safety, but this is bordering on being too much a "nanny" device and is overly intrusive. If I wanted to be that safe I would just roll myself in bubble wrap and sit indoors. :mad:
It gets me all the time, when I first got mine a couple months I kept leaning over to see where my mower was and it would bog down. I thought the tractor was just stalling and thought it was a pos compared to my dads old kubota that would mow through anything. I finally realized it was the safety switch and its gonna get wired down pretty soon.
I was thinking of using a shim under the seat vs bypassing the switch.

Not to mention it'd freeze up when below freezing out -- then the machine wouldn't run at all.
Freeze up did it get wetor wasn't covered?

RDL

Jun 10, 2015
Lowell,AR
My new L4701 was doing the same thing. I just bent the bracket down about 3/8 inch that pushes the switch-problem solved.

Brian526

Equipment
Jun 27, 2015
Western Pa
Thanks for the great information! I ran it some today making sure I wasn't leaning and it ran perfectly fine... So I guess I chaulk it up to the safety switch on the seat also...I will definitely have to come up with a fix...because that can start to be a real pain in the dairy air!

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Not to mention it'd freeze up when below freezing out -- then the machine wouldn't run at all.
???
Don't think I'm following. You saying the L3901 won't run when below freezing? If so, me thinks you have another issue... pretty sure the tractor can be run in any 'reasonable' temp provided the warm-up procedure is followed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
???
Don't think I'm following. You saying the L3901 won't run when below freezing? If so, me thinks you have another issue... pretty sure the tractor can be run in any 'reasonable' temp provided the warm-up procedure is followed.
I believe he meant the safety switch had froze up and would allow the tractor to start at all.

I would have to make that switch go away if it was mine. I like being able to start mine and then do a walk around inspection as it warms up.

I'm all for being safe but just because "Big Brother" thinks we need it doesn't mean that much. A perfect example of over doing it....Tier 4....Like we really need that crap. :mad:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I believe he meant the safety switch had froze up and would allow the tractor to start at all.

I would have to make that switch go away if it was mine. I like being able to start mine and then do a walk around inspection as it warms up.

I'm all for being safe but just because "Big Brother" thinks we need it doesn't mean that much. A perfect example of over doing it....Tier 4....Like we really need that crap. :mad:
You can still start it and get off. It just kills the motor if it thinks the tractor is going forward without anyone in the seat. On the other hand mine was hard to live with initially because it is stiffer in cold weather (I think) and I couldn't get it out of the barn in the morning. Dealer fixed with a piece of cardboard.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dealer fixed with a piece of cardboard.

Cplain that to me Lucy

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Dealer fixed with a piece of cardboard.

Cplain that to me Lucy
The basic problem was that dead center, even bouncing on the seat I wasn't heavy enough to convince it that it had a driver. There is a switch inside the seat itself that wasn't depressed well and needed a little help. After my butt warmed the plastic up the tractor would move, but those quilted coveralls made it tough. So a piece of cardboard inside the seat depressed the switch better, so no more problems.