Old ammunition

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I was an ammunition R&D engineer for Remington for a couple of years, and we used to dispose of "bad" ammunition in a furnace at the plant in Lonoke, AR. Ammunition in a fire doesn't react the way that it does in the movies. Without a chamber to constrain the soft brass case and allow pressure to build rapidly, not much happens when you cook ammunition.
Correct. And even when a cartridge 'cooks off' it is the brass (typically lighter than the bullet weight) that is propelled a small distance. No real danger there, though most fire depts DO want to know if there is ammo in a building that is on fire.

Reactions: 1 user

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
In my high school years we lived in Hawaii . On a Boy Scout camping adventure we came across an ammo box full of 30 caliber blanks out in a "jungle" part of Oahu that the US Army used for jungle training.
I went off to pick some wild fruit and left my pals to set up the camp.
I came back and saw my pals laying on the ground with a bright fire burning about 100 ft. away.
I stood behind them who where still on the ground and Asked what is going on? they turned around and told me to get down.
Just then there was a loud blast , bright flame and I got hit in the jaw and knocked me on my a$$.
The popping kept on going for a few minutes.
I took a primer cap that came out of one of the shells .
The guys had pulled the paper where the bullet would have been and made a line of gun power up to large pile of gun power with a few "live" blanks in it for effect.
One of my pals pulled the brass cap out with a finger nail cutter.
Another of life's lesson

• Wow

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I went to a desert drinking party in high school and the party was great, lots of willing girls, right up until some moron threw a 50 round box of twenty-twos into the campfire.
People scattered, but one girl wasn't fast enough, and took a jagged piece of brass case in the face. No serious damage, just broke the skin and gave her a bruise, but it was right below her eye. Ruined the party, all the girls left.🤬

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
As long as the ammo stayed dry it’s probably still good.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Still good but just in case, have your life insurance up to date. Shoot it, find a reloader who will disassemble it but don't through it in a fire.