Not a good day at the farm

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

The State of MO has finally closed their loophole for scraping copper and converters. Hopefully this will help us with thefts on our side of the river.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Not that this is super helpful after the fact, but every few weeks I do a full video of everything we have in the shop (and outside). Just a quick 5 min walk around. This way I have a video record of it all in case of theft.

Second, video cameras with cloud recording and motion alerts are also really nice if you can manage. I also hide one at the entrance to my property that focuses on the middle of the drive so I can grab license plates of any vehicle.

Annoying but I did catch a criminal trespasser last year and had authorities cite him.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not that this is super helpful after the fact, but every few weeks I do a full video of everything we have in the shop (and outside). Just a quick 5 min walk around. This way I have a video record of it all in case of theft.

Second, video cameras with cloud recording and motion alerts are also really nice if you can manage. I also hide one at the entrance to my property that focuses on the middle of the drive so I can grab license plates of any vehicle.

Annoying but I did catch a criminal trespasser last year and had authorities cite him.
We use Arlo cameras around the house where we have wireless internet access. Allows us to see what’s going on and check on the place real time wherever we happen to be. Also gives us voice communication from anywhere we have internet access via phone so if someone is there we can talk to them. Price wasn’t bad, easy setup, and they’ve been quite reliable. Have to charge batteries about 4x/yr.

For the more remote areas we still use game cams. Not real time but at least we know who had been there. Had to call a few neighbors to discuss their activities on our place. They, with one exception that required Sheriff Dept intervention, straighten up pretty quickly with a polite conversation notifying them we have photos of them and their activities.

None of that prevents break ins but it does help to make us a less attractive target. Like a lot of people we didn’t get the cameras or the monitored alarm until AFTER our first break in.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We use Arlo cameras around the house where we have wireless internet access. Allows us to see what’s going on and check on the place real time wherever we happen to be. Also gives us voice communication from anywhere we have internet access via phone so if someone is there we can talk to them. Price wasn’t bad, easy setup, and they’ve been quite reliable. Have to charge batteries about 4x/yr.

For the more remote areas we still use game cams. Not real time but at least we know who had been there. Had to call a few neighbors to discuss their activities on our place. They, with one exception that required Sheriff Dept intervention, straighten up pretty quickly with a polite conversation notifying them we have photos of them and their activities.

None of that prevents break ins but it does help to make us a less attractive target. Like a lot of people we didn’t get the cameras or the monitored alarm until AFTER our first break in.
I have exactly the same setup.

I am considering putting a point to point system up to “beam” internet across our 50 acres so I can put a solar station/WiFi on the far side of our place. This way I can put up Arlo over there as well.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have exactly the same setup.

I am considering putting a point to point system up to “beam” internet across our 50 acres so I can put a solar station/WiFi on the far side of our place. This way I can put up Arlo over there as well.
Hadn’t thought of that. Worth looking into…

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hadn’t thought of that. Worth looking into…
You would need:

1. Arlo with solar
2. Solar panel
3. Charge controller or a UniFi Solar Station
4. P2P antenna to receive and send (I like UniFi and would get the AP 120 for the send and a Nanobeam 5ghz for the receive. Note the AP120 would need to be plugged into your existing network with a cat6 cable.
5. Battery to keep the P2P setup running at night. I recommend a Sealed AGM.

Reactions: 1 user