No Power

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm curious how you 'checked' the battery. Specifics appreciated.

The handheld high-resistive load testers I've seen are generally useless. I'd be interested in the experiences of others on this side topic.

If you're using a voltmeter--especially a digital multimeter--'correct' voltage can be read from a bad battery and 'look' like voltage but have no 'amps' behind it---and amps are needed to make anything work.

Everything presented causes me to think you have bad battery.

Try switching the battery out with a known good one from your personal vehicle then get back to the forum with updated information.

--And / or--

Use a quality wheeled charger hooked to the battery, set to 'start boost' and try it after sitting charging for fifteen minutes. Note this is not definitive as a bad battery can soak up the charger output and present such a high load the starter won't engage. I really think switching out the battery to a known good one will offer you more information quicker and more definitively.

Along these same lines, check and confirm by removing both ends of both battery cables and making all connections bright shiny clean with new nuts and bolts. You MAY have a bad chassis ground, a known problem.

Please continue posting back that we may all learn.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Stubs,

you make some damn good points, can have voltage, but a bad cell will not allow enough amps, my first choice is STILL switch the battery, AT LEAST, and only then can one eliminate the battery, still way too many places to look for a problem. A rat could have chewed through a hot wire somewhere, I doubt it but sht happens.......
Carl - take the battey out of your car,truck etc.. hook it up to the leads and see if flashers come on.....

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Only other possibilities would be badly corroded battery terminals where NO juice was getting through or a loose connection at the starter solenoid.

Carl, have you taken the battery cables off and cleaned the terminals to ensure you have good connections? Have you checked the cables at the starter to make sure everything is tight?

I'm still betting on an issue other than the battery. Why? Because he has no dash lights when he turns the key on. Even with a bad/very discharged battery, he'd still have dash lights and would likely get a "click" when turning the key. He doesn't.

Hence why I still think it's a bad fuse, fusible link, or bad key switch (assuming clean bat terminals and tight connections).

Steve

Carl B

Equipment
B26
Oct 20, 2013
Murrieta, CA
I really appreciate all of the input you all have provided. I checked the battery with a load tester I bought from Harbor Freight. I have used it before and it has worked well indicating bad as well as good batteries. The battery checked out fine on the tractor. I did pull the cables off the battery and cleaned the battery terminals and the cables and made them shiny. I do have a spare battery I can check tomorrow. However, to Steve's point I am thinking this is going to be something other than the battery since the battery appears fine. It did this once before and we adjusted the seat - jumped up and down and moved the safety switch, PTO lever, clutch/accelerator pedal, and it all of a sudden started right up. We have done all the same things this time and more with no success. That was several months ago and we have used it several times since that initial problem and have had no subsequent issues until now. I will try the other battery tomorrow and report back. Any other ideas? Where is the fusible link some of you have mentioned? What does it look like, and where is it located? Thanks so much!

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
You need to start tracing wires. Somewhere you have a broken circuit.

That's why I posted a pic of the test light, you need to get one.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree, get a good test light and start chasing wires.
The main fuse or fuse link is around the starter, its in the line that comes from the larger terminal on the starter and feeds the ignition switch.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I agree, get a good test light and start chasing wires.
The main fuse or fuse link is around the starter, its in the line that comes from the larger terminal on the starter and feeds the ignition switch.

This thread is 3 pages long and more than a week old.
For something that should be resolved in about 15-20 minutes.

You are going to have to get to the back of the dash, remove the dash or the fuel tank or whatever you need to do to access the wire harness and ignition switch.
You will find a larger red wire leading to the ignition switch, first confirm that power exists at the switch. If not, you need to trace that wire back to a source of power and repair (fused link, fuse, broken wire, bad connection). If you have power to the switch but nothing else (test) you may conclude that the switch itself is bad.
Start there and get back to us.

Last edited:

DougA

Equipment
BX2200, MMM, scraper blade, auger
Dec 18, 2011
St. George, ON
I've had this happen and it was a bad connection at the terminal, even after cleaning them a few months earlier. He says he cleaned them but I would do a test on the terminal connectors and see if that checks positive. It happened to me while loading wood. 10 min later, no power. Tap on the connector and done.
There's not much else that can 'go' so suddenly.

Carl B

Equipment
B26
Oct 20, 2013
Murrieta, CA
Not sure how to post pictures but while taking them to send off for more help we noticed a fuse that was taped together and not looking secure. We cleaned it up, plugged it in and VOILA... we are back in business. We assume that was the fusible link that we could not find. Thanks to all of you that guided us thru this crazy experience. Something so simple, just like some of you said.
Until next time, thanks so much.
Carl and Toni:)

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Carl,

Excellent news!

Would be helpful for others if you posted a pic of the culprit so others who might eventually encounter the same issue can see what it looks like and where it's located.

Well done!

Steve

Carl B

Equipment
B26
Oct 20, 2013
Murrieta, CA
Thanks to all again for your assistance. I was looking for the fusible link based upon some info that Scott provided and didn't find it. However, it caused me to investigate the little green item in the picture. After i unwrapped the electrical tape holding it in place we determined that it was a big fuse, perhaps it is my fusible link. When I re-secured it with a wire tie and some new electrical tape all power was restored and the tractor fired right up. I can't imagine that the taped up fuse situation is the way it came from Kubota..I think that must have been the handiwork of the previous owner. Anyway, thanks again to all for your help!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes that's the new style of "fusible link", yes It's just a big fuse.

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Carl,

Thanks for posting the pic. I'm sure it will help others in the future.

Again, nice job!

Kind regards,

Steve