New (used) RTA1550 tiller - change chain case grease

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
I just picked up a used Land Pride RTA1550 tiller for my BX2680. I added rear spacers last year which puts the rear track at about 4'. Figured I should get a unit with an offset. I also looked at the KK XB54" tiller at Runnings. That was going to be my back up option if I couldn't find a something used. I was also looking at the Woods RT48.30 which has a fixed offset. I liked the RTA1550 since it was adjustable.

It has been outside and a few years old, so the paint is pretty faded, but didn't seem to have excessive use based on looking at the wear surfaces. The 15 series seems like a pretty rugged series from Land Pride and I think they may have one model still available.

I'd like to change both the gear case and chain case fluids. I was thinking about pulling the chain case and cleaning things up in there, re-install and then fill with new 00 flowable grease as called for. I checked the price on a new gasket, $50!! So I'm re-thinking that. I'm not sure if I could pull the case and re-use the gasket with a little permatex and both sides? Other option would be to see if I could siphon as much of the old grease as possible and maybe do two that two times and call it a day. Not sure if I can siphon 00 flowable grease? I think I would have to run it and heat it up some, but not sure if that would still wrok.

What have other tiller owners been doing on the chain case fluid/grease change on the Land Pride chain drive tillers? TIA

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee, if you don't want to spend $50 for a gasket, sell me the tiller for $100. I'd gladly spend 50 to get the correct gasket ! I'll even pay for shipping.

TRUCK3

May 5, 2022
Upstate NY
gee, if you don't want to spend $50 for a gasket, sell me the tiller for $100. I'd gladly spend 50 to get the correct gasket ! I'll even pay for shipping.
I keep my expenses as low as possible, that's why I bought a used tiller for $1,300, instead of a new one at $2,500-$3,000 + sales tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Make your own gasket. It's not rocket science.

Get some Permatex, and a cardboard cereal box.

Saving the old gasket, considering what it's been thru, it's probably a waste of time. it will probably come off in pieces.

Reactions: 1 user