New to tractors but have a tractor in mind

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
I definitely don't want two tractors to service...lol.
OH yeah you say that now,,,,, its like bikes or hot rods or guns you lost in that boating accident,,, or tater chips,,,,, 1 aint never enough :) welcome to the orange
I've got plenty of...erm missing boating accident equipement along with a few classic cars I've been trying to restore since 2003...lol. Once I get settled in my new area, I will ride around and see what "deals" are out there.

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
OP-either L2501/L2502 is a great place to start.
New or used.
Very popular,easy to resell,checks a lot of your boxes!
Good Luck!
I am definitely leaning hard towards the L2502. I must admit though, the cabbed B2650 does call to me from the shadows. Let me ask you this - If were to able to secure a loader and bucket for $5k and the '16 B2650 for $20k. Would this be a decent deal or the L still wins out because of its size? Though they both have the same hp.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Really good points. I don't see me cutting trough the woods too often with the tractor. I like the cab because the driveway is half a mile long and that just sounds like a miserable time in the cold especially for a clueless operator trying to figure out the best way to move the snow. I have multiple tabs open and will look at the 2502. I assume it has 25hp and no dpf?
Probably got your answer already but yes, I believe the L2502 has 25hp and no DPF.

I hear ya on the cab. I live in upstate NY and plow a fairly long driveway with no cab. I sometimes wish I had one on those days. But not most days.

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
Probably got your answer already but yes, I believe the L2502 has 25hp and no DPF.

I hear ya on the cab. I live in upstate NY and plow a fairly long driveway with no cab. I sometimes wish I had one on those days. But not most days.
Thanks again for recommending the L2502. I am looking at one tomorrow. Currently is is $29500 out the door with just the loader.
Tell me more about how you clear your driveway. Do you push it or do you scoop and drop?

Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
All depends on the conditions. 1st day no chains and my rear blade, after that, chains on all 4 and used my front loader, I don't have a blower, this is a rarity, spent 40hrs clearing mine and the neighbor's drives.

Attachments

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Thanks again for recommending the L2502. I am looking at one tomorrow. Currently is is $29500 out the door with just the loader.
Tell me more about how you clear your driveway. Do you push it or do you scoop and drop?
I use a snow pusher and a rear blade. The pusher is just for straight lines and fills up and ya gotta dump it by steering off the side driveway. The rear blade can be angled and you can drive over the snow and just throw it to the side over long distances.

These work pretty well for me, and are less expensive than angled plow blades or blowers. And the back blade is a good relatively inexpensive grading implement (non-winter dirt a d gravel use).

If I were in your shoes, I’d try using a back blade and the bucket for the first winter and see how it went. The snow pusher is definitely faster and easier, because you aren’t constantly readjusting the bucket angle after dumping to not dig up the gravel. But if you don’t get a ton of snow, maybe the speed isn’t worth the expense.

One other thing I’ll add, my B2301 was useless with R4 tires in snow. Chains were an absolute must. So far with my L4701 and R1s I’ve done just fine.

Good luck with your search, tractor shopping is so exciting! It’s a lot of money, but you’ll use it all the time, including things you wouldn’t have ever imagined using a machine to assist with before it was sitting there begging to be put to work (and it’s expensive justified).

Attachments

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I've already paid my dues playing in the snow, so a cab would be nice...lol. Seriously though, a cab is a nice to have but not a deal breaker. There is a Kubota dealer (Hoober, Ashaland VA) near me so that plays a huge part with why I am going with Kubota. I will take a gander at the link you sent. What did you like about it and what should I be on the lookout for?
Welcome to Hanover county. I live in Mechanicsville. I own a B2650 and brought it from Hoober in Ashland,va. Awesome people to deal with. I have a friend that works in sales and he was awesome helping me when I brought my tractor and attachments. I did finance mine. 0 down 0 intest for 60 months

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
All depends on the conditions. 1st day no chains and my rear blade, after that, chains on all 4 and used my front loader, I don't have a blower, this is a rarity, spent 40hrs clearing mine and the neighbor's drives.
40 hours?! Your commitment is admirable. Great pics by the way. What can you tell me about the blade & chains? Kubota specific?

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
I use a snow pusher and a rear blade. The pusher is just for straight lines and fills up and ya gotta dump it by steering off the side driveway. The rear blade can be angled and you can drive over the snow and just throw it to the side over long distances.

These work pretty well for me, and are less expensive than angled plow blades or blowers. And the back blade is a good relatively inexpensive grading implement (non-winter dirt a d gravel use).

If I were in your shoes, I’d try using a back blade and the bucket for the first winter and see how it went. The snow pusher is definitely faster and easier, because you aren’t constantly readjusting the bucket angle after dumping to not dig up the gravel. But if you don’t get a ton of snow, maybe the speed isn’t worth the expense.

One other thing I’ll add, my B2301 was useless with R4 tires in snow. Chains were an absolute must. So far with my L4701 and R1s I’ve done just fine.

Good luck with your search, tractor shopping is so exciting! It’s a lot of money, but you’ll use it all the time, including things you wouldn’t have ever imagined using a machine to assist with before it was sitting there begging to be put to work (and it’s expensive justified).
I appreciate the advice & will take heed. In the pic, what is the device up front in place of the bucket? Never mind, you mentioned it was a snow pusher. Never seen one before.
I'm not sure what tires are standard on the 2502 but I'll toss chains off if needed. My driveway is all gravel so a blade is a must. I'll reach out to you for recommendations.

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
Welcome to Hanover county. I live in Mechanicsville. I own a B2650 and brought it from Hoober in Ashland,va. Awesome people to deal with. I have a friend that works in sales and he was awesome helping me when I brought my tractor and attachments. I did finance mine. 0 down 0 intest for 60 months
Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to a slower pace vs D.C. Did you go through Eugene in sales? He was very helpful when I called today & I'll definitely be headed to Hoober next week after I close. My new job has me stationed in Fredericksburg, so I'll swing by Dickinsons tomorrow to check out the L2502. I plan to finance as well. If it snows 🌨 before I get a tractor I may have to phone a friend...lol

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
B2650 or LX2610 are the cab models. L2502 no cab. I don't get snow, but if I did, I think I'd want a cab.

You can still get loaders for the B2650, I'm assuming you need both a loader and a bucket. Putting a new loader on a second hand machine is not a great financial decision though - the loader becomes worth what a 5 year old loader is, because a new loader on an old machine is no better than an old loader on an old machine.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
For what it's worth, B-series tractors seem to be MUCH more common in the used marketplace than L-series. So, shopping around is rewarding. I see a lot of used late-model B-series tractors that are being unloaded at auction by rental companies. MGD (Lebanon, PA) had about TWENTY identical B23Xs on the lot earlier this year. All consigned by the same rental company.

I think there are a lot of people who buy a B-series tractor, and then quickly discover that they need something with more size/power.

Having grown up on a farm, I usually don't give Kubota B-series a second look...
And, I've never owned a new....ANYTHING.

Just my personal perspective, nothing more.
-Paul

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana

I just bought a brand new 2502 a few weeks ago. The tractor with loader, bolt on cutting edge, seat arm rests, LP box blade, and a set of LP forks, was $27K OTD. I absolutely LOVE this tractor....

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
40 hours?! Your commitment is admirable. Great pics by the way. What can you tell me about the blade & chains? Kubota specific?
40hrs over 1 week, was a 10-year event, I had fun for the first 10 hrs.
FEL is 6', rear blade is 7', I would get the heaviest, (most metal) one you can find.
Rear chains made out of semitruck chains found on the 5 fwy, front whatever you find that will fit, auto/truck chains, they all work great, never came off, the rubber tensioner is the key. It's not rocket science. No need to spend $$$$.
The key to snow removal is don't let it get too deep, I've been out at 1am more than once in my open cab.
Neighbors have no idea how much maintenance costs are.

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
For what it's worth, B-series tractors seem to be MUCH more common in the used marketplace than L-series. So, shopping around is rewarding. I see a lot of used late-model B-series tractors that are being unloaded at auction by rental companies. MGD (Lebanon, PA) had about TWENTY identical B23Xs on the lot earlier this year. All consigned by the same rental company.

I think there are a lot of people who buy a B-series tractor, and then quickly discover that they need something with more size/power.

Having grown up on a farm, I usually don't give Kubota B-series a second look...
And, I've never owned a new....ANYTHING.

Just my personal perspective, nothing more.
-Paul
Thanks Paul. What is your go-to model on the farm?
Do you have a website for MGD? I am currently In Aldie, VA so it's not to bad a drive to PA for a deal.

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
I just bought a brand new 2502 a few weeks ago. The tractor with loader, bolt on cutting edge, seat arm rests, LP box blade, and a set of LP forks, was $27K OTD. I absolutely LOVE this tractor....
Whoa. Share the dealer and location my friend. Did you take advantage of the Kubota 0% offer.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am very happy with my L, and its quite clear that lots of people love their B's too.

If you don't have any real size restrictions (i.e. getting through fence gates...etc) my vote is for the L.

I love the cold weather, so I just throw my "Striker Ice" gear on and go at it if it snows.

Nomore67

Equipment
Currently own- B2601, LX4020. Previously owned- BX1870, B2601
Apr 28, 2019
Minnesota
Great String!

If I didn't have space constraints (and if I had more freedom in my budget), the L3560 or L4060 are the sweet models I'd suggest!

Having owned a BX, small B's, and a LX, I will say that there are pros and cons to everything. At the end of the day though, it's about finding what best suites your needs with the least amount of compromises. I like a saying, "cry once". If you "cry once", after that you'll have the thing (tractor in this case) that you want and need. Rather than crying every time you use it about what it's lacking, or by upgrading a couple / few times to get to what you wish you'd bought in the first place.

My BX and B2601's were open tractors, my LX has a cab which I'm really looking forward to this winter (if we get snow, which we likely will in MN).
Tire related, I've had turfs which do work well in snow, and R14's which I also really like! I've heard R4's aren't great in snow. My LX does have the 'new' style R4's on it, I'm anxious to try them out, and hopeful they work well. *I was planning on getting R14's again, but an in stock tractor had the oversized new R4's on it and I bought them at the standard tire price (dealer didn't want to change them), we'll see....

Happy Shopping, 🍻

Kainedogg

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Oct 17, 2023
Beaverdam, VA
Great String!

If I didn't have space constraints (and if I had more freedom in my budget), the L3560 or L4060 are the sweet models I'd suggest!

Having owned a BX, small B's, and a LX, I will say that there are pros and cons to everything. At the end of the day though, it's about finding what best suites your needs with the least amount of compromises. I like a saying, "cry once". If you "cry once", after that you'll have the thing (tractor in this case) that you want and need. Rather than crying every time you use it about what it's lacking, or by upgrading a couple / few times to get to what you wish you'd bought in the first place.

My BX and B2601's were open tractors, my LX has a cab which I'm really looking forward to this winter (if we get snow, which we likely will in MN).
Tire related, I've had turfs which do work well in snow, and R14's which I also really like! I've heard R4's aren't great in snow. My LX does have the 'new' style R4's on it, I'm anxious to try them out, and hopeful they work well. *I was planning on getting R14's again, but an in stock tractor had the oversized new R4's on it and I bought them at the standard tire price (dealer didn't want to change them), we'll see....

Happy Shopping, 🍻
Great info and I do envision some crying before and after I buy what I "think" I need.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Have a LX2610 HSDC with the new R14's and they are great in the snow. Never got stuck once and it wasn't for a lack of trying. A cab in the winter time is so nice , just imagine a foot of wonderful white stuff and blowing out the driveway in your PJ's with a big of mug of coffee(or whatever your beverage is).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users