New to me L3750DT

tnp8841

Equipment
L3750 w/ 4540
Aug 14, 2024
Ny
I get what you mean, I do like the feel of older equipment it feels more mechanical in a way. Like an old pickup, more gruff. These older machines/cars feel like they have a soul, newer equipment hasnt been able to quite capture that if you get what I mean.

But more to your point, I only paid 6500 for my machine so really this was expected. As funds allow over the winter I do plan on going through it. Tbh I feel a little bad working this thing so hard, just trying to get as much of the dirt work right next to the house done as i can.

tnp8841

Equipment
L3750 w/ 4540
Aug 14, 2024
Ny
Well I think I am f***ed, I went out just now to try and crack it loose and the top of the cyl just spins, I measured from the top of the oil feed to the end nut or whatever you wanna call it, did two full rotations and nothing happens. measurement doesnt change at all. this was after spinning it and not seeing a difference by eye... unless theres some secret I am unaware of. IDK where to go from here

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Well I think I am f***ed, I went out just now to try and crack it loose and the top of the cyl just spins, I measured from the top of the oil feed to the end nut or whatever you wanna call it, did two full rotations and nothing happens. measurement doesnt change at all. this was after spinning it and not seeing a difference by eye... unless theres some secret I am unaware of. IDK where to go from here
Don't panic yet. Some glands don't screw on and off. Some have a wire retainer that slides in a groove, half in the cylinder and half in the gland. There will be a hole in the side of the cylinder near the top. You have to fish one end of the wire out of the hole, then pull/push the rest out. Then the gland slides out. I've never done one of these, so I can't be much help. There won't be blind holes on the face of the gland, hope you didn't buy a spanner. Post a couple of pictures and we can confirm.

Unfortunately, the on-line parts diagram for that model are illegible, so they're no help.

tnp8841

Equipment
L3750 w/ 4540
Aug 14, 2024
Ny
No holes in the cyl, parts manual says theres either set screws or it has the notches for the spanner. I didnt buy a spanner, but i did wrap it in tape and use a pair of channel locks... tomorrow im going to try putting one end of it back in the machine so i can pull a bit while turning and hoping it grabs the threads.

tnp8841

Equipment
L3750 w/ 4540
Aug 14, 2024
Ny
Well good news, I didn't realize the center part where the gland is wasn't supposed to turn with the nut. I put the cylinder end back in the machine and used a cheap ratchet strap to put just a little pressure on the rod end and it started coming off. Also found a place called Nu way hydraulic that I can bring the gland as well as the other end and they will mic it all out to just sell me the seals. I also checked out hercules that @BAP mentioned, while they dont have a kit they may know what sizes I need. So plan is to see if Hercules knows what seals I need, I will just order from them, if not Ill make the hour and a half drive to Nu Way and have them mic it out.

Reactions: 1 users