New L4701 Engine problems

NTPRICH

Equipment
L4701 Kubota
Oct 15, 2015
MARKSVILLE,LA
Finally got my new tractor ,after making my wife believe , that if I bought new it would be less problems but after having it for 14 hrs ,a couple of weeks, The engine died and showed no indications as to why{ the gauges |it was really hard to crank the engine over so that made me thank it was the oil we'll and the engine temp rose after seating awhile, after contacting the dealer he told me it was the electric fuel pump starving for the engine for fuel and that was the reason so after they changed the fuel pump and checked everything else that i told them about they insured me that it was not the oil pressure
We'll i brought the tractor back home went to work , and when i got back home went to bush hog my property up the road and did just that I was able to make one complete round about a half acre or so and the tractor died again it was really hard for the engine to crank { oil again } by the way left out the the part about setting ditch on fire , and now trying to keep fire away from tractor w/ sandles and shorts on not good NOTE don't wear sandles and shorts bush hogging we'll brought tractor home and died on the way home
called dealer back about same he said fuel must be contaminated I said i'd believe that if the engine would turn over he said bring it in and he'd check it again I told him that I don't have trailer big enough he said he would put me on list
we'll went to work 2 weeks and came home decided to try it it one more time same thing engine died we'll they sent a mechanic out to change a fuel sensor terminal or pickup tractor and the engine fired right up like it always does ,when its cold and warmed up and started knocking {OILPROBLEM} and now that they came and picked up the tractor They said something has gotten into the radiator and stopped up the water ports keeping water from circ the engine , well anybody that knows engines knows that nothing that big is going to go thru the radiator so I said that some had to be left in the motor during assembly !
then he said that the hose had come off from a stick and thats why the engine didn't have any water in it well thats when I told him that His mechanic had checked all fluids prior to starting the engine and they were full ,well they want me to pay 250$$$$ and they'll put a new motor whats yalls thoughts

Last edited:

mikeslater

Jun 29, 2015
US
14 hrs only should still be covered under warranty. .... I'd call kubota them selves to confirm

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
$250 is cheap for a new engine!
I wouldn't be paying them a dime, and tell them to hurry up about it or you'll charge them down time!

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Finally got my new tractor ,after making my wife believe , that if I bought new it would be less problems but after having it for 14 hrs ,a couple of weeks, The engine died and showed no indications as to why{ the gauges |it was really hard to crank the engine over so that made me thank it was the oil we'll and the engine temp rose after seating awhile, after contacting the dealer he told me it was the electric fuel pump starving for the engine for fuel and that was the reason so after they changed the fuel pump and checked everything else that i told them about they insured me that it was not the oil pressure
We'll i brought the tractor back home went to work , and when i got back home went to bush hog my property up the road and did just that I was able to make one complete round about a half acre or so and the tractor died again it was really hard for the engine to crank { oil again } by the way left out the the part about setting ditch on fire , and now trying to keep fire away from tractor w/ sandles and shorts on not good NOTE don't wear sandles and shorts bush hogging we'll brought tractor home and died on the way home
called dealer back about same he said fuel must be contaminated I said i'd believe that if the engine would turn over he said bring it in and he'd check it again I told him that I don't have trailer big enough he said he would put me on list
we'll went to work 2 weeks and came home decided to try it it one more time same thing engine died we'll they sent a mechanic out to change a fuel sensor terminal or pickup tractor and the engine fired right up like it always does ,when its cold and warmed up and started knocking {OILPROBLEM} and now that they came and picked up the tractor They said something has gotten into the radiator and stopped up the water ports keeping water from circ the engine , well anybody that knows engines knows that nothing that big is going to go thru the radiator so I said that some had to be left in the motor during assembly !
then he said that the hose had come off from a stick and thats why the engine didn't have any water in it well thats when I told him that His mechanic had checked all fluids prior to starting the engine and they were full ,well they want me to pay 250$$$$ and they'll put a new motor whats yalls thoughts
NTPRICH,

This is a clear cut case of 'FITNESS FOR PURPOSE. In the cases of a new product like this, it should be an entire warranty repair. Try to keep a civil relationship with the dealer and ask to talk to or e-mail the factory rep regarding this issue.

Since the dealer has already conceded somewhat, there is more to obtain which is all of the repair.

Keep copies of all correspondence. Send the person at the dealer who offered the replacement a "confirmatory letter," viz., a letter that confirms the discussion and offer the dealer made to replace the engine. Send it certified.

Further if you need to...ask the dealer who their receiving agent is, address, etc... Don't do anything yet, just ask for it.

These are preparatory actions on your part. Do not use as threats, just calm information gathering.

Ask a principal at the dealer for total replacement, record basics, time/date, info exchanged and send a similar confirmatory letter.

After a reasonable period of time, only if necessary, send a letter to the receiving agent reiterating you original request for engine replacement under warranty. Certified.

Try all the verbal and confirmatory to the dealer first before going formal to their agent.

Let us know how this comes out.

Burt

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Listen to Burt's advice. Getting huffy with your dealer, whether it be serviceman, service manager, salesman, owner, etc is not going to get you any further, I dare say it would hurt you more than help you.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The story kind of stinks to me.

When did you check the coolant level? Did the tech that came out check it? Was it full? If it was full, then a stick didn't knock the radiator hose off, either that or it was refilled after the fact. If they say that something was plugging the cooling system, ask them what it was that was plugging it...and ask them to send you either pics of it or show it to you in person. Kubota would want to see that too I'm sure.

Did the oil light ever come on while in operation?

When they hook the engine up to Diagmaster, they'll see at what hours and how hot the engine got if it was overheated. Diagmaster has a lot of functions and it comes in handy.

Sounds like either (1) it got so hot that it seized or (2) it was starving for fuel. Fuel starvation isn't an unknown problem. Where the line comes out of the tank and goes to the water separator, sometimes the line is too long and gets kinked, and starves for fuel. But normally this results in running about 10 minutes, loses power, shut it off and repeat. Very repeatable and the amount of time it takes to die is reduced with heavier loading (mowing, etc).

IF in fact it is a debris-plugged radiator causing overheating and engine damage, or a stick knocking the hose off, then yes...the owner is responsible. Kubota won't help with that as far as warranty, but your insurance will. And $250 is dirt cheap for that engine....