New L4600 in Garage

zman8537

Equipment
Mowing, Snow Plowing, Hauling
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
So last Tuesday evening me and my brother drove down to Richmond, VA, and Wednesday morning went to the Kubota dealer and picked up my new L4600HST package. I got the L4600 with front end loader, a 72" Woods Brush Bull rotary mower, 6' Box blade and a 20' dual axle 7000lb trailer. Drove back home that evening and everything is good so far. I have only put an hour on it so far but has already saved a lot of work. I have been busy trying make room to store everything out of the weather. I need to figure out something to put on the trailer deck to help make it last as long as possible. It has wolmanized lumber on it but looks like it could use something on it. Any suggestions??? I will have to get some pictures and get them posted!:D:D

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Linseed oil, silicone water proofer like Thomson's, or a water proofing stain.
Another option if you want to stay cheap is coat it with old oil.

If you use linseed oil, do not put the rags or brushes in the trash as they can and will get hot enough to catch fire, put them outside in the open till they dry, or put them in a wet plastic bag then in the trash.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So last Tuesday evening me and my brother drove down to Richmond, VA, and Wednesday morning went to the Kubota dealer and picked up my new L4600HST package. I got the L4600 with front end loader, a 72" Woods Brush Bull rotary mower, 6' Box blade and a 20' dual axle 7000lb trailer. Drove back home that evening and everything is good so far. I have only put an hour on it so far but has already saved a lot of work. I have been busy trying make room to store everything out of the weather. I need to figure out something to put on the trailer deck to help make it last as long as possible. It has wolmanized lumber on it but looks like it could use something on it. Any suggestions??? I will have to get some pictures and get them posted!:D:D
zman,

I took sheets of 1/16 galv sheet metal and covered mine, used small stainless steel pan head screws......you would think it would be slick, and it can be - but I use it for gravel and mulch and it is nice not to "stick" the wood with the fork! Never had any problems with machines on it, they are strapped down so tight it would matter if it was on ice.
Linseed oil is good stuff, don't use anything like poly or anything like that.......anything that will GO IN the wood is much better than something that goes ON the wood. Make sure the wood has "dried" before applying - most treated stuff needs a bit of sun time to dry before something else can go on. Like to see pictures !

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
L4600 is a nice tractor! Congrats!

I don't put anything on the treated wood on my trailers, It'll easily last 20 years or so.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Well you were in my neck of the woods this week. Just being nosy what dealer did you go to?
Dubberly in Chester. I didn't see any positive or negative feedback about them but everything went smooth and no suprises, so I was pretty happy with the deal.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
L4600 is a nice tractor! Congrats!

I don't put anything on the treated wood on my trailers, It'll easily last 20 years or so.
So far so good, the only thing that I am second guessing is the tires. I am wandering if I should have went with the R4's instead of the R1's. The R1's will definitely tear up the ground but I am sure the traction will come in handy too though. The tires are filled too so with that I am sure that it is heavier than the old John Deere and it has thinner Ag tires on it. So other than that I am really happy with it.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
So far so good, the only thing that I am second guessing is the tires. I am wandering if I should have went with the R4's instead of the R1's. The R1's will definitely tear up the ground but I am sure the traction will come in handy too though. The tires are filled too so with that I am sure that it is heavier than the old John Deere and it has thinner Ag tires on it. So other than that I am really happy with it.
I much prefer R1 ag tires! R4s' don't have enough traction for my situation.

Don't forget to use substantial counter weight on the 3 pt hitch when the loader is on the tractor!

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
I much prefer R1 ag tires! R4s' don't have enough traction for my situation.

Don't forget to use substantial counter weight on the 3 pt hitch when the loader is on the tractor!
I talked to another guy with R4 Industrial tires and he is not happy with the traction that he hets from them, so I guess that maybe I did make the right choice on tires. I lifted a bucket load of limestone the other day without any trouble and the ass end did not feel light but I will definitely keep that in mind. I sure dont want to put her on her nose! lol

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I talked to another guy with R4 Industrial tires and he is not happy with the traction that he hets from them, so I guess that maybe I did make the right choice on tires. I lifted a bucket load of limestone the other day without any trouble and the ass end did not feel light but I will definitely keep that in mind. I sure dont want to put her on her nose! lol
Much loader work with no counter weight will kill the front end. This only took me 10 years to learn and a very expensive list of front end parts for our L3750...:cool:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Dubberly Tractor is Chester is a fairly new Kubota dealer in Virginia. Only been selling them for a few years or so. They were a used tractor dealer for years and they started selling Kioti for a little while then went to Kubotas.

I have my reservations about Dubberly and will NEVER conduct business with them again.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Much loader work with no counter weight will kill the front end. This only took me 10 years to learn and a very expensive list of front end parts for our L3750...:cool:
OK Thanks, good to know. From now on I will put the box blade on when using FEL. Thanks again.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Dubberly Tractor is Chester is a fairly new Kubota dealer in Virginia. Only been selling them for a few years or so. They were a used tractor dealer for years and they started selling Kioti for a little while then went to Kubotas.

I have my reservations about Dubberly and will NEVER conduct business with them again.
Not something I wanted to hear but I wont be going back for anything that I know of. I got a good price on everything and if I need parts or anything I have a couple dealers up my way.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
YA know Zman it is a shame you have to travel a couple hundred miles to get a good price on something you should be able to get the same price locally. But where you are it is more and more becoming Pittsburgh North, I use to live in Gibsonia and moved down to the coal country 30 years ago. People were moving in on me then and Im not really happy about the way they are building around here either.
I took a ride up 79 to 910 a few weeks ago rode over to 8 and back through Da Burgh,, OMG what a mess too many people, to many houses, to many azzholes on the highway. Ahh the progress of man:mad:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A mixture of diesel fuel and burnt engine oil (we use gasoline engine oil, because deisel oil is so black from soot) will protect the deck nicely, and cost very little.
I've watersealed decks before, and while it protects the wood, it doesn't keep it from greying or weathering. I prefer a diesel/oil mixture.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
The home centers are now selling a deck rejuvenation product (looks like bed liner) I'm thinking that would be perfect for trailer decks. Haven't priced it yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
With the old trailer ( I wish I would have kept) there was some much grease and oil dripped onto the wood from that old yeller beast, that the wood never even got wet the rain just beaded right up and ran off,,lol

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I got R4 tires on my L3200 and rue that decision. Wet grass or a bit of mud and it starts slipping. I pretty much have to leave it in 4WD. You did well getting R1s.
My general rule with the FEL is not to use it without at least 400 lbs of ballast in the rear - my Rhino back blade. For serious work I use a 600lb ballast block. Any weight you put in the bucket tries to lift the rear end by the same amount. I live in hills, with the tractor geometry changing every few feet. It is incredible how fast the rear end can flip up in the air!
I built an 18 foot trailer about 35 years ago and just put treated lumber on the deck. I'm finally going to replace it this winter - more to make me feel good than because of need. Any of the oil or linseed oil treatments suggested here are good in my book, but probably unnecessary.
Enjoy your tractor! Every time I see one at the dealer I drool.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
I got R4 tires on my L3200 and rue that decision. Wet grass or a bit of mud and it starts slipping. I pretty much have to leave it in 4WD. You did well getting R1s.
My general rule with the FEL is not to use it without at least 400 lbs of ballast in the rear - my Rhino back blade. For serious work I use a 600lb ballast block. Any weight you put in the bucket tries to lift the rear end by the same amount. I live in hills, with the tractor geometry changing every few feet. It is incredible how fast the rear end can flip up in the air!
I built an 18 foot trailer about 35 years ago and just put treated lumber on the deck. I'm finally going to replace it this winter - more to make me feel good than because of need. Any of the oil or linseed oil treatments suggested here are good in my book, but probably unnecessary.
Enjoy your tractor! Every time I see one at the dealer I drool.
Thanks for all the info on the deck treatment. I guess I have a year to figure it out since it is recommeded to let it dry out thoroughly before treating with anything.
And if the R4's slip in wet grass then I guess I made the right choice, I was just suprised as to how much the R1's tear up the ground. It definitely tears up the ground more than my old JD of about the same size with narrower tires but I don't think that they are filled.

Attachments

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
And if the R4's slip in wet grass then I guess I made the right choice, I was just suprised as to how much the R1's tear up the ground. It definitely tears up the ground more than my old JD of about the same size with narrower tires but I don't think that they are filled.
Keep it in 2wd and it shouldn't tear up the ground too bad and don't turn real fast and sharp.