New L3902HST

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

It has taken eight months, but I've finally pulled the trigger on an L3902HST. I haven't taken delivery yet, just signed off on everything on Friday. I downloaded the User's Manual and have been flipping through it.

Looking for any tips and advice early on for break in - I know not to load too much for the first 50 hours, and all.. but if any of you have insights on general operation for new, I'd sure appreciate it - especially while it still has the "new tractor" schmell!

We have an old Massey Furgeson - 1947, and a Ford 9n from the '40s. We've used the Massey all along, but it'll be wonderful to have a FLE and some easier operation. We'll still use the other tractors, but oh boy!

We took out a walnut orchard, so will be doing a lot of discing and mowing this season. I was going to change the engine oil sooner - maybe 10 hours. What about the HST and the FLE hydraulics?

Also, if someone could explain how I might benefit from the cruise control option. I will be doing some constant load/speed work - flail mowing and was wondering. Can I get this as a kit and install it myself? Do you have any links for this or is it a Kubota only item.

I'm really looking forward to getting acquainted with the new tractor and saying goodby to my old friend, an L245DT that is all but used up... Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead
Northern California

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Folks -

It has taken eight months, but I've finally pulled the trigger on an L3902HST. I haven't taken delivery yet, just signed off on everything on Friday. I downloaded the User's Manual and have been flipping through it.

Looking for any tips and advice early on for break in - I know not to load too much for the first 50 hours, and all.. but if any of you have insights on general operation for new, I'd sure appreciate it - especially while it still has the "new tractor" schmell!

We have an old Massey Furgeson - 1947, and a Ford 9n from the '40s. We've used the Massey all along, but it'll be wonderful to have a FLE and some easier operation. We'll still use the other tractors, but oh boy!

We took out a walnut orchard, so will be doing a lot of discing and mowing this season. I was going to change the engine oil sooner - maybe 10 hours. What about the HST and the FLE hydraulics?

Also, if someone could explain how I might benefit from the cruise control option. I will be doing some constant load/speed work - flail mowing and was wondering. Can I get this as a kit and install it myself? Do you have any links for this or is it a Kubota only item.

I'm really looking forward to getting acquainted with the new tractor and saying goodby to my old friend, an L245DT that is all but used up... Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead
Northern California
Read the manual a couple times and relax. No need to baby the tractor or to change any fluid at 10 hours - 50 is more than soon enough. First thing I did when I took delivery of my new L3901 two years ago was push a path through a briar patch. First scratch anxiety over in a flash.

Dan

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Agree with others I have 2 3800hst same tractor just pre emissions one of which we bought new. The first 8 hours were pulling a 20 blade disk all day. 800 hours later it is great I was taught by my dad and other older men to load it to break it in like you intend to use it. Have several friends that farm and they treat the big red and green ones the same way.

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
With HST i cant see a use for cruise control unless your foot actually gets tired or something. I have it on one of my tractors and ive literally never touched it, as in never even put my hand on that control, in the over a year ive had it..

A well used L245DT sounds right up my alley.. but i checked your location and you’re well over a thousand miles away so, nevermind. 😂

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
With HST i cant see a use for cruise control unless your foot actually gets tired or something. I have it on one of my tractors and ive literally never touched it, as in never even put my hand on that control, in the over a year ive had it..

A well used L245DT sounds right up my alley.. but i checked your location and you’re well over a thousand miles away so, nevermind. 😂
I use cruise control when I’m field mowing level ground that is smooth enough to run a constant speed. Otherwise I don’t use it. It might also be good for rototilling a large area.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My B2601 run in was .... to use it. 70% of my usage is mowing, and you really have to mow at WOT. So break in was mostly WOT. I'm only a few hundred hours in, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem.

I have cruise on my B2601. I don't use it mowing, nothing I mow is flat enough to run full speed constantly. It also doesn't quite go as fast on cruise as with the foot on the pedal - it backs off just a little. Which is annoying. I do use it on the road - I drive about a mile down the road to mow some community land. It's good for that. But I wouldn't really miss it if I didn't have it.

One good way to find out is to use your tractor, and try driving with foot at a constant position on the pedal. If that isn't actually useful (either too fast or too slow for some bits) then a cruise would be equally wrong.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Don’t idle your tractor much in the first 50 hours. Keep your RPMs up and use it as much as you can at PTO rpm’s.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Folks -

John Moorhead
Northern California
Tractor cruise control is the same as in a car... if you have long stretches of constant speed, it can give your right foot a break. Otherwise, not used very much.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Congrats on the tractor. I have rarely used cruise control. At least three of the tractors have had CC. Last Summer I did use it a few times when mowing. It was more of an experiment than a need.

The CC on the L4240 is different from what I recall on a couple other tractors. There's a lever that allows adjustment of the speed and it does work well. The Ford has a lever to flip that just locks the hydro pedal in the position you are holding it in. It doesn't allow you to adjust speed after it's set. I think the B7500 was like that too, but can't recall for sure.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
HST and the FEL hydraulics are one in the same - as well as power steering (oil in the same tank). Don't waste the oil and change it at 50 hours, just change the filter like it says. If you want to change it, do it at 200 or 300 hours...

I have cruise control, I'll set it every once in a blue moon, since it's on the tractor.... I would not pay an extra dime for it. I would buy another implement (grapple) or hydraulic top and side links that would help you work better. Cruise is a waste of money, IMO.

Check the front axle to make sure it has enough oil in it... Personally, I would change that oil out and put in 80/90 weight gear oil at the 50 hour mark! I think it comes with hydraulic oil now a days...

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif

I had one many years ago, and it was a tough, handy tractor. I bought this one about six or seven years ago and it is just about worn out. I had toyed with rebuilding it, again, but death of a thousand cuts and all. I haven't bought new in many, many moons, but I am getting a pretty good deal. It will be nice to have something, presumably, I can just use, instead of having to tinker.. nothing against tinkering, but sometimes the ranch is an evil mistress...