new l3600 with some questions

xrdan

Equipment
l3600
Jul 10, 2018
mineral bluff ga
New here with a few questions about a new to me l3600.

I was looking for a tractor for our retirement place and I found a l3600 that a big branch (12" dia oak) had fallen on. Steering wheel, instrument panel, and right fender smashed- seat bent but I can probably make it usable. The frame that everything attaches to is tweaked but it might have to work if I can't find one. Mechanically everything seemed good so I bought it. The hour meter showed 347 when it got smashed but the owner said it didn't work for a while before that. I doubt it has more than 600 or 700 hours.

I wanted a loader and for what I was planning to spend I was looking at something like a 20 horse Yanmar or for a bigger tractor something 2wd and about 40 years old.

So- I ended up with a tractor way better than I was planning on with a few bugs to work out. My main question right now is what conditions must be met for this thing to start? It won't start with either the shuttle lever or gear selector lever out of neutral, which makes sense. It also won't start with you sitting in the seat or the brakes set. You can only start it standing on the ground with the brakes released. This is without an instrument panel installed- I'm hoping that the missing circuitry is the cause of this.

Sorry about the longwinded first post

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
........The frame that everything attaches to is tweaked but it might have to work if I can't find one..........I ended up with a tractor way better than I was planning on with a few bugs to work out. My main question right now is what conditions must be met for this thing to start?.........Dan
The safety switches are there for good reason - but if you or your helper are ok around machinery an L3600 will start by towing it in gear if it can roll. Be ready to pull the shifter into neutral when it fires. Let it idle in neutral and carefully try the gears and clutch etc. For electric start there's more involved - but it would be good to hear it run before investing a lot in it.

The engine, transmission and axles are the main frame members in most tractors. If they're bent, there may be broken castings. If you post a few pics you'll maybe get more responses.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Welcome, Dan

The thing that you need is the Workshop Manual (WSM) for your L3600. This will have the schematics and detailed circuit descriptions. You will want to look to see if there is an Operator Presence Control module that is in or around the instrument cluster. If the L3600 has one of these, that is the missing or disconnected part you are talking about.

Not to dampen things with your new tractor, but a reminder that the safety features are not to be fooled around. Two intelligent men that I knew (well enough to have food with them) have been killed by their tractor. Certainly the safety features should be tackled as job 1.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Myself. I'm not a mechanic. I can do basic stuff maintenance ect. But if I was getting a tractor I would want to use the tractor. For me the tractor with a oak tree sticking out of it wouldn't be a consideration. I would keep looking. But that's me.
Most here would tear it down and rebuild it and they are more then willing to help you. That's why were all here.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
You would need to get a WSM/workshop manual for your machine to get the electrical circuit I expect.
Generally, neutral safety switch and PTO safety switch are the 2 main things that stop you from CRANKING the engine. Others may be a clutch switch, some perhaps a seat switch.

Seat switch is generally used to shut the engine down once it is running if you are in gear or have the PTO selected and you lift your backside off the seat, but on some models may also inhibit the start. Parkbrake switch is generally used for indication, but may affect yours. Perhaps with damage to the seat, the switch is being operated incorrectly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First go here and download the OPS manual:

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...df&AutoIndex=1f5c668a15ce53b75f01b9a2acd83d78

I sent you an email to download the WSM.

You can jump the starter right at the starter and that bypasses all safety switches.
Triple check that it's in neutral and brakes are set!

Now here is the second issue, I'm not sure off the top of my head if that has a run solenoid or a stop solenoid, Kubota's use both.

If it's a stop solenoid look on the right side under what's left of the dash and make sure there is a red stop Knob, if not you have to shut fuel off to get it to stop.

If it's a run solenoid, Jumping the starter will not make it run as it will also need power to the solenoid to keep it running.

Third issue is that without dash wiring it's not going to charge.

In other words fix the dash and all the wiring before you use it.

Check back in for parts needed. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't use starting fluid to start your tractor. It can cause internal parts of the engine to relocate, causing you more problems! Go through the problems step by step and soon you'll have it running. Post some pictures and you'll get additional comments/help.

xrdan

Equipment
l3600
Jul 10, 2018
mineral bluff ga
I have a used instrument panel coming and I'll post back when I have it connected. It looks like some of the parts are still available new- a fender is $967 so I don't see that happening. I'm in the process of changing the fluids and filters, etc, while I'm waiting for the dash to come. The only thing strange so far is the hyd fluid level. The sight glass is clouded over so I stuck a wire down the fill hole and the fluid looks good but it's way too high- like 6" above the sight glass. I'm not sure what that's all about.

Dan

xrdan

Equipment
l3600
Jul 10, 2018
mineral bluff ga
I got the instrument panel and temporarily installed it. The safety stuff is still the same- as long as it won't start in gear I guess that's the main thing. Everything works- all warning lights, fuel and temp gauges, tach. I'm still not sure about the seat deal- does the switch prevent the tractor from starting if you're not seated or kill it if you're in gear and get up?

I've had a chance to use it some now and all the important stuff works- good hydraulics, pto's, 4wd, diff lock. I did get Kubota fluid and changed all fluids and filters. I got 16 gallons out of the transmission even though it's supposed to take 10. It seemed to be the right stuff with no change in noise or operation after the change. I replaced the sight glass.

I'm getting the frame (used) that everything attaches to. This thing took a lick from the branch, which looked like a good sized tree itself. I started putting it together and it's so tweaked that nothing lines up. I'm not going to be pulling holes and rigging stuff at this point. I'll try to post some pictures of the progress when I have a chance.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm still not sure about the seat deal- does the switch prevent the tractor from starting if you're not seated or kill it if you're in gear and get up?
The seat switch is for PTO operations safety, it will kill the motor if you get out of the seat with the PTO on.
Some also have presence sensing for HST operation, that will kill it if HST pedal is operating and you get out of the seat.
With a manual you can have it in gear and get out of the seat, and the seat switch has no effect on operations.

xrdan

Equipment
l3600
Jul 10, 2018
mineral bluff ga
The seat switch is for PTO operations safety, it will kill the motor if you get out of the seat with the PTO on.
Some also have presence sensing for HST operation, that will kill it if HST pedal is operating and you get out of the seat.
With a manual you can have it in gear and get out of the seat, and the seat switch has no effect on operations.
Thanks for the info.

Dan

PNW Ariel

Equipment
L4200DT
Oct 16, 2018
Langley, WA
Hey I just bought an l4200 and I bought a service manual for it. I think the manual covers both the l3600 and mine. I think the download is still open for another 48 hours (expires sometime on 10/18). The scan quality is not the best but I've found it a good addition to having the operators manual. It is about 30 mb, and 600 pages let me know if you want the download link.-Ariel