New guy here; frustrated about front tires...

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
My new to me L2050DT front tires are visibly worn and I'd like to replace them. The current tires have the following information on the sidewall: SuperStrong, All Traction Field and Road, 6-14 (not 6.00-14), 6-ply rating, G1, Made in China.

Nowhere is a tire mfg visible.

I have the Operator's Manual and it isn't much help either. The Specification Table on pg 8 says rear tires are 9.5-24 and the front tires are 6.00-14. Elsewhere on pg 25 there is an Inflation Pressure table that lists more than one tire size for both front and rear. However it is so kind as to show 6-14, 4PR tires. (6.00-14 not listed at all). It also shows 11.2-24, 4pr tires for the rear.
That's nice since those are what my rear tires are.
All are Ag tires R1

Thoughts: My tractor also has a BF400S front loader on it. I could see where 6ply rated tires would be desirable as the load rating of the 4ply tires is substantially lower.

I have searched old threads both here and on TBN and find similar discussions going way back. In shopping around for replacements I have found suitable 6-14 4PR tires and 6.00-14 6PR tires.

Though I won't be engaging 4wd all the time I do intend to use if frequently enough that I don't wish to be concerned about the front & rear being out of synch because I acquired the wrong size nor do I wish to pickup a good load in the front bucket only to collapse the tires because they can't take it.

Currently I'm leaning towards a pair of BKT TR126 6-14 tires because of their size and aggressive tread. They are tubed tires and are only 4PR rated.

Have any of you seen this comment by Miller tire before?:

"*NOTE** This tire size is 6-14 - Not to be confused with 6.00-14, which is a whole different tire. Please double check your size and feel free to contact us with questions before ordering.

MAX LOAD 660 lbs @26psi
33/32 Tread Depth
25 25/32" mounted diameter"

I've ordered from them before and liked the tires I received and their prompt delivery. However this comment has fixed itself in my noggin.

I even contacted a couple of tire places and they use 6-14 and 6.00-14 interchangeably. In searching online I know they are different but wonder if it is enough to matter.

Clear as mud.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here is some info on the tires you are look for : (copied from another forum)

The OEM tires are Firestone/Bridgestone 6-14. They have a rolling diameter of between 73" - 77" Danny measures new as 77", website says 75" and my badly worn fronts (Chinese "MIT" 6-14) measure 73".

Informal test of lead to the front ratio is fairly neutral. In order words, doesn't appear to lead or drag on the front with current tires.

Apparently, the Deestone 6.00-14 have a RD of 85", so I have to decide if it is more important to have safe and reliable front tires or be able to safely use 4WD and less safely use FEL.

I would measure the rolling circumference and then go with the tread and tire that you like that fits the bill. 4wd should only be engaged when a tire can slip, rather than where one will bind the other, so if you are off a fuzz it really will not matter on dirt and whatnot.

The rolling circumference and the true circumference are close but not actually the same!

Somewhere along all these threads, 2% is where you can be off leading or trailing with rear to front.:):)

Also see if when you turn your front end - will it hit the frame with a different tire width.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I cant believe two different 6-14 tires have 10" or better difference in diameter. There is something amiss. Call a stocking dealer and have them measure. Its practical math, kinda.

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I cant believe two different 6-14 tires have 10" or better difference in diameter. There is something amiss. Call a stocking dealer and have them measure. Its practical math, kinda.
Well, I initially thought the same thing. However a google search in quotes for "6-14 6PR" only provided this offering:

http://www.probec-intl.com/en/farm-tires/r-1/armour-lande-bias-

On this one page you can see the same part # referenced both ways! It appears to actually be a 6.00-14 because its overall diameter is 27.2" with a 6.5" width. And it has a 6 ply rating.

On the Firestone Compact Tractor Tires catalog their All Traction Field & Road lists a 6-14 with an overall diameter of 24.7 and width of 6.1.

The BKT TR126 R1 tire specs are "mounted diameter" 25.8 "mounted width" 6.2.

From the charts the overall diameter and widths of a 6.00-14 and a 7-14 are the same. But then you see a 7.00-14 and its larger.

What I don't see is a single chart with both 6-14 and 6.00-14 offerings nor do I see a 6-14 in 6 ply anywhere even though that is what is on my current worn down tires. The 4pr tires list max capacity of 660## and the 6pr 900-1000# capacity each.

My tractor weighs approximately 1800# and my loader (empty) 800#. It would seem that just 1/3rd of the tractor weight of 600# plus the loader empty at 800# would combine to 1400# which would exceed the max capacity of the 6-14 4pr and be at max capcity of the 6.00-14 tires. It just seem ridiculous to me to be over taxing the wheels when empty much less picking up a load, pushing, turning, etc.

If the BKT's were 6PR tires I'd have already pulled the trigger. What say ye?

Thanks again for helping me sort this thru.

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Here is some info on the tires you are look for : (copied from another forum)

The OEM tires are Firestone/Bridgestone 6-14. They have a rolling diameter of between 73" - 77" Danny measures new as 77", website says 75" and my badly worn fronts (Chinese "MIT" 6-14) measure 73".

Informal test of lead to the front ratio is fairly neutral. In order words, doesn't appear to lead or drag on the front with current tires.

Apparently, the Deestone 6.00-14 have a RD of 85", so I have to decide if it is more important to have safe and reliable front tires or be able to safely use 4WD and less safely use FEL.

I would measure the rolling circumference and then go with the tread and tire that you like that fits the bill. 4wd should only be engaged when a tire can slip, rather than where one will bind the other, so if you are off a fuzz it really will not matter on dirt and whatnot.

The rolling circumference and the true circumference are close but not actually the same!

Somewhere along all these threads, 2% is where you can be off leading or trailing with rear to front.:):)

Also see if when you turn your front end - will it hit the frame with a different tire width.
Hey, this is somewhat encouraging. I've since spoken with a couple of dealer parts guys and they didn't have an answer either. I suppose the best solution would be to hear from a longtime owner operator of one of these puppies with the same R1 ag tire size ans mine who could share their experience. So far the only other posts I've found was from owners with turf tires.

Can anyone recommend the name/number to a senior Kubota guru that just might know about this model?

Regards,

Clay

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Can anyone recommend the name/number to a senior Kubota guru that just might know about this model?
Wait a day or so so the gurus have a chance to see the thread. If no reply, PM Service Dept Vic
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/member.php?u=2
or
North Idaho Wolfman
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/member.php?u=13715

However, I expect you'll get correct answers in just a little while - there are *lots* of very knowledgeable and generous folk in this forum!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Attachments

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Clay45,
the tires you have are Firestone, the All Traction Field & Road is a registered
trademark of Firestone.
DO NOT GET THE BKT TIRES!!!!
The rolling circumference is not the same they're much to large to work without causing problems. Find a Firestone Farm Tire dealer in your area and ask them about 6-14 Regency brand R1 tires, Firestone produces them in Mexico and it's the exact same tire without the Firestone name brand on it.
Use the "dealer locator" on this site to find the nearest dealer that would
have them available:http://www.firestoneag.com
Al

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
You'd be blown away by the difference between brands of tires size wise if you started measuring them. A 6-14 and 600-14 are 2 different sizes completely as is the 6-12 versus 600-12 that's common on many MFWD
tractors Kubota John Deere Ford etc that have them on from the factory.

Tires are no different than many other "knock off" items we see available
imported into the USA so often because of the cheaper labor price. Those manufacturer's don't always do their homework before deciding to build something so they end up building something that's close but no cigar since speed and cheap are what they're looking for more than quality and exact specifications.
I've seen brand new brake rotors ( don't think you can even buy one of those anymore that's made in the USA ) that are undersized worse than worn out rotors trying to be replaced. I have also seen the so over-sized that you couldn't put the caliper back on and had to turn them down to make them the right size.
Buyer beware! Always do your homework making sure you get the right thing to avoid costly repairs if it's not correct. Tires on your tractor should always be made so you get the best bang for your buck and the age old saying applies as well "the best sometimes is none to good".
Al

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
NI Wolfman,

I like the tire you suggest but it might be too large and I presume you are referring to the type tread and not the size?

Tiredguy,

I believe this is the tire you are suggesting:
http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/6-14/6-14-regency-ag-tractor-4-ply/

Trouble I have with it is its load rating.

And in both cases what I don't know for certain is what is the correct size for this 4wd tractor irrespective of the tread when the rear tires are 11.2-24 R1's?

Thanks,

Clay

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
NI Wolfman,

I like the tire you suggest but it might be too large and I presume you are referring to the type tread and not the size?

Tiredguy,

I believe this is the tire you are suggesting:
http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/6-14/6-14-regency-ag-tractor-4-ply/

Trouble I have with it is its load rating.

And in both cases what I don't know for certain is what is the correct size for this 4wd tractor irrespective of the tread when the rear tires are 11.2-24 R1's?

Thanks,

Clay
Clay45,
yes that's the correct tire you're looking for on the M.E.Miller Tire site.
It's the exact match tire probably made in the same mold with a different
side plate changing the name etc only.

I know you're thinking you need or would be better off with the heavier duty 6 ply versus the 4 ply, and if it was available correctly RC size if it were me I'd certainly go for the heavier ply too. But you don't really need
it the 4 ply is sufficient to do anything the tractor was designed to lift weight wise with no problem. Always keep your air pressure at the correct
psi listed in the owners manual no matter if they "squat" when lifting a load with the bucket. The number one tire failure on the front tires on 4WD tractors is OVER INFLATION. If the tires are over inflated the will easily split open on a bias angle following the ply overlay in an X or Y pattern. It's
called an "impact break" which causes the casing to split open much the same as blowing up a balloon until it just about pops then pushing it against any type of protrusion that isn't flat and it goes "POOF" instantly.
Al

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Thanks Al. I haven't decided quite yet although a gent did contact me with some 6 ply tires just like what is on it. Guess I wanted to try something different with more aggressive tread. Other than 4 ply rating, what would be wrong about those BKT's as front wheels on my tractor?

My father-in-law passed away so my focus will be off the tractor for a few days. Might not be able to check back until later this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

tiredguy

Equipment
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Thanks Al. I haven't decided quite yet although a gent did contact me with some 6 ply tires just like what is on it. Guess I wanted to try something different with more aggressive tread. Other than 4 ply rating, what would be wrong about those BKT's as front wheels on my tractor?

My father-in-law passed away so my focus will be off the tractor for a few days. Might not be able to check back until later this weekend.

Thanks everyone.
Clay,
I think what you'll find out when comparing the BKT brand to the Regency is that they don't have the same rolling circumference the BKT is way bigger and won't work.
Find out what the rolling circumference is for both tires it's critical that they're the same or within 2%. To figure out that 2% formula, use the largest
RC and subtract the smaller RC then divide that difference by the larger RC
number. If that difference is 2% or less you're golden if it's more than 2% it
won't work. Throws the ratio off and will break very expensive parts plus you'd
then have to buy another pair of tires of the correct RC to add to the agony.
Al

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Where does one find the rolling circumference stated? For any tire?

Once again, if its such a critical factor why isn't this information provided for any tire that is commonly used on 4wd tractors?

Yall are great but I still don't have a way to readily ascertain this and the Kubota Dealer I called didn't have a clue.

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Well as it turns out BKT publishes the rolling circumference on their tires so; I used the available information for the tire sizes recommended in the L2050DT WSM in addition to the Operators Manual and learned that not one combination even comes close using that formula.

I wanted to share that here but cutting and pasting from an excel worksheet flopped. Needless to say the percentages ranged between 28% - 40% which is well beyond Al's 2% recommendation.

This link provides a useful explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish:

http://www.tyrecor.co.za/index.php?page=agri_inter_axle

Still looking!

Last edited:

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
New rims are coming. Going with 7-16's on front.

clay45

Equipment
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Just an update: The 7-16's were the right choice. I've been using 4wd a bunch moving some dirt piles around and find it fairly easy to engage or disengage as needed.