New bx2380

donscastle

Equipment
G2160
Sep 2, 2021
Southwest Middle Tennessee
Hello! I am shopping for a new sub compact tractor; leaning heavily towards bx2380.
We have 3 properties; 10 acres with creek and woods, 11 acres mostly woods with about 2 acres cleared and our homestead, 3 acres with old farm house (working on it).
The bx2380 and the JD 1025r are on my radar. Both dealers are within a mile of each other.
I have a Kubota G2160 garden tractor with 60" deck. Really happy with it. RCK60B-24G model deck.
Big question - could this deck possibly fit a new bx2380?
If so, then I might look at purchasing the 54" deck and swapping them (G2160 / 54, BX2380 / 60).
If not, then no mow deck on the bx.
Next - LA344 vs LA344s loader. Thinking the pin version.
Lastly (for now) - I will be purchasing a grapple as well. Does this influence the loader choice?
Looking forward to living it Orange!
Any tidbits or advice is appreciated!
Thanks much!
Donald C.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
No, the decks are not interchangeable, so keep your present mowing equipment or buy a new deck for the BX2380.
I would purchase the loader with the skid steer connection upfront, so you can quickly drop your bucket and put the grapple onto the tractor. Also, keep in mind that you will need to add a 3rd function valve to the tractor. They are available from both Kubota and LandPrided (a Kubota-owned company). I suggest that you purchase the LandPride since it is a better unit. The Kubota one is a diverter type of system and the LandPride is a true 3rd function valve. I don't know the costs involved, but the LandPride is a superior system even if it costs more. As for loader model numbers, your dealer can sort that out when you make the purchase. One is a pin-on loader and the other is a skid steer-type loader.
I would suggest that you have the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard for additional weight. If you are going to finance the unit through Kubota buy everything at once for the best price.
The link below will help you save some money...

Finally, when you are at the dealership, have them show you the BX23S. It is more money, but it comes with a backhoe that might be quite valuable to you since you have a lot of property to do work on.

Here is another thread that might be worthwhile to look at, especially #8 in that thread:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
For sure get the SSQA version loader ! That way only takes seconds to change bucket for grapple to bucket to grapple.......

I've had my BX23S for 6 years now, over 1200 hrs helping neighbours dig trenches for power lines , water, septic,stump removal, mulching, compost, etc. NO MOWER DECK..dig and haul..period. I bought it to help neighbours, as I'm on 1/3ac and zero real use for it, I prefer 'dedicated' machines as changing a MMM is a royal PITA for me (70 and now a bad knee...). Backhoe has never been off, loader only twice, for repairs.

Also consider 'pallet forks'. I use them as a grapple 'taming' mother nature on 10 acres to recover cropland(best beans in Ontario...). Don't know the price difference,but ask between 900# pallet forks vs. grapple AND 3rd function. It should offset most(?) of the cost for the BH ? Well, it's be interesting to see those numbers.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hello! I am shopping for a new sub compact tractor; leaning heavily towards bx2380.
We have 3 properties; 10 acres with creek and woods, 11 acres mostly woods with about 2 acres cleared and our homestead, 3 acres with old farm house (working on it).
The bx2380 and the JD 1025r are on my radar. Both dealers are within a mile of each other.
I have a Kubota G2160 garden tractor with 60" deck. Really happy with it. RCK60B-24G model deck.
Big question - could this deck possibly fit a new bx2380?
If so, then I might look at purchasing the 54" deck and swapping them (G2160 / 54, BX2380 / 60).
If not, then no mow deck on the bx.
Next - LA344 vs LA344s loader. Thinking the pin version.
Lastly (for now) - I will be purchasing a grapple as well. Does this influence the loader choice?
Looking forward to living it Orange!
Any tidbits or advice is appreciated!
Thanks much!
Donald C.
Good day.

I find myself in a similar situation….i am now spread across three properties and started with a BX.

I (politely) wonder have you thought about your:

1. Do you have another tractor or compact loader?

2. future uses over the next 5years? How planning to use the tractor? Just mowing a couple acres or as a chore tractor on a homestead?

3. Size of implements you want to be able to use?

4. How much weight you want to be able to lift?

3 properties to care for is more than enough to make a sane person quit their day job. (I am not sane yet 😉…but I am really close). 🍻

fc1

Equipment
L3940
Apr 17, 2024
Michigan
+1 on the SSQA; you'll want it to go smoothly from bucket to grapple

I'd want more power/lift capacity than you're outlining- for my 10 acre woods I wanted at least 1000# of lift capacity with the grapple mounted.
$0.02,
fc

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I can't be of much help, but there is absolutely no question in my mind that you should get the SSQA loader.

Especially if you think a grapple is in play.

Don't forget the forks and a backhoe(y).........(I love spending other peoples money) 😂 ;)

You will then start dating things using the PB suffix (Pre-Backhoe) instead of AD.....

I.e. "I remember back in the year 2023 PB when I was........";)

• Haha

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I'm new to all this, so throwing this out there as I'm looking at grapples myself...

My understanding is SSQA adds 100# (or more) of weight (for both sides of the connector) and pushes the impliment out is it 4"? Doesn't that result in a 15-20% loss of lifting capacity, which on a BX is pretty significant since it's a sub-compact with limited lifting ability?

Conversely, I think EA and LandPride are the only pin-on manufacturers, and EA is bankrupt, so not having SSQA can limit impliment compatibility.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Depending upon how much work you plan on doing in your woods, you might consider a B2601 over the BX series because it will give you more ground clearance and more lift capacity.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
+1 on the SSQA; you'll want it to go smoothly from bucket to grapple

I'd want more power/lift capacity than you're outlining- for my 10 acre woods I wanted at least 1000# of lift capacity with the grapple mounted.
$0.02,
fc
For 1000# lift capacity, better start looking at larger tractors and open your pocketbook a lot wider!

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Having used my L2501 a good bit in the woods on my small property (<2 acres) before going to a BX, if I had that much land to care for, I'd definitely opt for a larger tractor. If your finances allow you to keep the G for mowing and have a larger dedicated tractor without a mower deck, I'd probably jump up to a B at a minimum, if not the L-series.

Reactions: 2 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
The BX 2380 has same lift capacity as my 1880. Your just has a stronger motor. It may lift less than the bigger tractors but can still get the job done, just takes more time to do it. Unless you know you have to lift a minimum 1000 lbs, no reason not to go BX. But if you have deep pockets, go larger to future proof. The quick attach does take away total lift but that’s why most folks use a ballast box to get back those pounds. I have around 300 lbs in my ballast box so lifting my limits is no problem. Good luck on your decision.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In my opinion you have too much land for a BX. The BX is good on reasonably manicured lawn. It's a great mower, and a great small tractor.

It has a two speed gearbox = slow from point to point. You have enough distance you'll appreciate the 3rd gear in the B and larger machines. You're planning to be in the woods, and using a grapple. That says to me you need more ground clearance than a BX has.

A BX will do the job and is better than no tractor. But I think you need a B or LX (if you have a lighter trailer to use moving between your properties), an L if you can trailer it.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Always giggle about the 'horror' that SSQA takes away from lifting capacity...
I have SSQA on my BX23S and HLA 900# pallet forks. Those reduce the capacity by, wow, 60 #, so I can't toss on 12 4by8 pavers. Sigh. the world has come to the end ?? Really ?

5 years ago I needed to move a set of duals from my water tank hauler(frame was a semi tractor) 'duals' consisted of 2 tires on rims and the brake drum. While the BX23S grunted a bit, it' carried them,3-4 inches off the ground for 1,000', up a 20 degree slope and another 300' to the shop. Was it fast, no. Did it work, YES.

I'm super happy with the tradeoff of 60# capacity for the huge variety of jobs the forks can do. However if you need higher capacity, get a tractor 3x bigger. Going a bit more probably won't cut it.

What the OP doesn't mention is the distance between properties. A BX23xx can be carried on a 'car hauler' trailer, everything else requires a much bigger($$) trailer. something that needs to be considered.