New B2601 in the garage

Lucky13

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, snow blade
Jun 1, 2018
Yakima, WA
Hello Kubota owners! So for 18 yrs I've used an old 1950 Ferguson TO-20 for all of my tractoring needs on my small 3 acre place. Mainly just maintaining about 250 yards of gravel driveway, pulling out stumps and rocks, pushing snow around, etc. All with a rear-mounted blade with no position control and using the draw bar. Always wanted a little Kubota B with a FEL. Well... excited to say I finally acquired one. I've only had a chance to get about 6hrs of play-time on it so far!

I didn't have my rear tires filled. I figured that I've got a ballast box with weight, and I wanted to be able to drop that and have a lighter weight for working in the soft pasture should I decide to mow with it.

It's my first experience with a HST other than riding lawnmowers. I know that they are notoriously noisy, but I'm trying to determine if what I'm hearing is acceptable or if I need to adjust the way I'm using it. I know that if I heard transmission noise like this from my lawn mower, I'd assume it was being seriously overworked.

Also, the position control range 1-4 does nothing. The 3-point does not begin to lift until I get to 5 or so. Is this normal?

Pretty stoked new owner here!

Attachments

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Lucky.

Congrats on the new toy... I mean tractor.

I don't know what you mean by "The 3-point does not begin to lift until I get to 5 or so." Do you mean range 5?

Lucky13

Equipment
Jun 1, 2018
Yakima, WA
Welcome to OTT Lucky.

I don't know what you mean by "The 3-point does not begin to lift until I get to 5 or so." Do you mean range 5?
Yep, that's what I mean. The position control lever doesn't begin to move the 3-point until around 5 or so (approx half way up the range). It's not a big deal, just curious as to why.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Hello Kubota owners! So for 18 yrs I've used an old 1950 Ferguson TO-20 for all of my tractoring needs on my small 3 acre place. Mainly just maintaining about 250 yards of gravel driveway, pulling out stumps and rocks, pushing snow around, etc. All with a rear-mounted blade with no position control and using the draw bar. Always wanted a little Kubota B with a FEL. Well... excited to say I finally acquired one. I've only had a chance to get about 6hrs of play-time on it so far!

I didn't have my rear tires filled. I figured that I've got a ballast box with weight, and I wanted to be able to drop that and have a lighter weight for working in the soft pasture should I decide to mow with it.

It's my first experience with a HST other than riding lawnmowers. I know that they are notoriously noisy, but I'm trying to determine if what I'm hearing is acceptable or if I need to adjust the way I'm using it. I know that if I heard transmission noise like this from my lawn mower, I'd assume it was being seriously overworked.

Also, the position control range 1-4 does nothing. The 3-point does not begin to lift until I get to 5 or so. Is this normal?

Pretty stoked new owner here!

HOLY CRAP!!

this cant be!! LUCKY13!?! from WA....

surely there cant be more than 1 lucky13 from up there...

Rollin is that you?

then we can get to the tractor questions!

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
Congrats on the new tractor! Your position control sounds normal. Based on the size of your 3 point implement will determine at what position the implement engages the ground. With my box blade I can actually lower it below tire level so I can back up to a creek and pull rocks off the bottom and spread them up the embankment without actually backing down into the water. While grading my driveway with the same box blade I set it about 2 3/4 for a nice grade.

Lucky13

Equipment
Jun 1, 2018
Yakima, WA
HOLY CRAP!!

this cant be!! LUCKY13!?! from WA....

surely there cant be more than 1 lucky13 from up there...

Rollin is that you?

then we can get to the tractor questions!
No sir, not Rollin. Sorry for the confusion!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I went though the same deal, old tractors doing the job, but after a bad bad winter and age creeping up I went for the B2650HSDC. The tranny is louder than I had expected but the radio has speakers by my head so it's all rock and roll full speed ahead. I am coming up on a year and just over 100 hours and this thing has done all I have asked and is comfortable to work. You will have fun doing your projects.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
No sir, not Rollin. Sorry for the confusion!

WOW!! thats even more wild... had no idea that was a common name up there!

good news: Rollin a great guy & i'll share this with him in the fall when we meet up. that will be worth a laugh for sure.

better news: You have landed at one of the nicest groups of people on the net & they for sure will get you going.

even better news: the B2601 is an awesome B! great machines. miss mine!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Welcome and when you say 3 pt does not lift until around 5, maybe this is the answer.

Lift arms are intended to lower close to ground for ground engaging implements.

So, with your ballast on your lower all the way. Now you lift it the arms will not move up until the height corresponds to the height it would be if the implement had not stopped them from going down.

I know I murdered that but cannot think of how to convey.

Another way, the implement will prevent lift arms from going any lower than height of pins but you can continue to push lever down. Same with lifting, the lever location will catch up to lift arm height somewhere and in your case around 5.

Depending on my implement my L4600 does same thing, My carryall hits the ground around 4 but I can continue to push down but nothing happens. When lifting the carryall does not move until it gets back to 4.

Hope this helps and you can read my mind:)

Jay

Lucky13

Equipment
Jun 1, 2018
Yakima, WA
This is a pic of my Ferguson. It's a great tractor, but pretty much just for pulling and grading. ferg.jpg

Lucky13

Equipment
Jun 1, 2018
Yakima, WA
So, with your ballast on your lower all the way. Now you lift it the arms will not move up until the height corresponds to the height it would be if the implement had not stopped them from going down.
Jay
I think I get you, you're saying that if at level 5 my ballast box is on the ground then it will at that point seem that level 1-4 have no movement. At position 1, though, my box does not touch down. It's at the lowest point my 3-point can go. In order to raise my 3-point from it's lowest position, I have to move the lever to 5.

It's not really a big deal to me because it just means my entire range of movement is between 5 and 10, I just thought it was odd that Kubota would set up their numbered position gauge that way. :)