Mystery M6040

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Hello all,
Here's one for the kubota guru's. I have an M6040 with 70 hrs on it. Did the inital service on it around 60 hrs. I have the WSM for the tractor and it shows to remove the 3 plugs in the wheel hubs, replace the bottom one when empty, fill till the fluid comes out of the middle one. Here is the problem: There is no middle plug. The bump in the casting is there but, no plug. It as if they never machined the holes. The WSM clearly goes over the procedure. Any ideas? I filled the hubs with the recommended ammount, then filled the diff. till full. I waited ten or so minutes and rechecked the level. I figured the hubs and the diff. would level out? What the HELL?
JWB

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi JWB
On the 6040 the hub oil level is to the bottom of the threads on the fill plug and the axle level is to the smaller plug close to the fill plug. there is a seal between the axle and the hub which prevents the oil from gravitating from one area to the other. Some older models had a level plug as you suggested but all the newer ones have a much higher level.
Ed

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Eserv,
Thank you for responding! I will add more oil to the hubs. I added approx 3.2 (I think that is what the WSM stated the capicty was.) U.S. quarts to each hub. It was not to the bottom of the threads as you describe. I have the kubota WSM that describes the procedure. I am quite shocked that they have not updated the manual. I bought the tractor 6 months ago and the WSM 4 or 5 months ago. Again, thanks for the response as I was quite confused.
JWB