My Winter Project Paint Job

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
I just put the finishing touch on the winter paint job project on my B7100 and thought I'd post some pics of the results. I started by soaking the old girl down with Awesome cleaner /degreaser and pressure washing. I then removed all the sheet metal panels and did the Awesome treatment to the individual parts to make sure I got all the grease and dirt off then scuff sanded with 220 grit paper using scotchbrite pads in hard to reach areas. I picked up a quart of Valspar Kubota orange & hardener at Tractor Supply. I had originally planned to do a rattle can job but figured it was going to cost a lot more. I couldn't find the original Kubota Blue for the frame in the Valspar or any other brand so I bit the bullet and shelled out the cash for the OEM Kubota Paint. I later found out the hard way that the OEM paint won't thin with naptha which is what the Valspar is thinned with, and must be thinned with acrylic enamel reducer. I didn't have any, and decided to try to spray the blue without thinning!:eek:. On a positive note it did minimize overspray! On a negative note the finnish wasn't the greatest with some orange peel on areas such as foot rests. I wasn't too concerned because I wasn't trying to make a museum piece out of it anyway! After all it was my first attempt at spray gun painting:confused:. and I hadn't exactly invested in quality equipment. My spray gun was a cheap (less than $20) gravity gun from Harbor Freight. The orange proved to be much easier to spray since I had the proper thinner and hardener and I was very pleased with the results!:D I finished it off with a complete set of new decals and emblems, new headlights, and a new seat!:cool: First I will post a before pic and follow it with a couple of afters! Hope it works!!:confused:
SDC10226.JPG

kubota new paint 75a.jpg

kubota new paint resize 3.JPG
Oh by the way don't try this at home unless your an Orange Addict because everything in my garage that wasn't tarped got a Kubota Orange dusting!:eek: Fortunately I was forewarned and had placed tarps and drop cloths over most everything! I even accidentally dusted my grandsons John Deere pedal tractor and considered finishing it off in Kubota Orange but decided he might not like Papaw messing with "his Tactor "!:D So I wiped it down with thinner instead!:rolleyes:

John

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
John C you got:D it I will try in a few days going to play with microsoft program a few minutes :)traildust came thru on that one.handy

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Wow that brings back memories:).... my first Kubota was a well used B7100. I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing. It had some pretty rough treatment but we brought it back to life to the point it made a nice down payment of my next one.

It was the B7100 that hooked me on Kubota.... much to my wife's dismay:eek:

Nice job! Looks great!

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
John, that is a really great job you did! Also thank you for posting the good story. It's a quality post :cool:

Oh ya, that's impressive for a tractor with out a water pump :p

Scott

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
John C., You did a nice job :D! Way to go. I like that BEAST of a front bumper :eek:!!!

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
It's actually dual purpose, bumper/counterweight and it's made out of two peices of railroad rail that I found buried on private property near the railroad tracks in a drainage ditch there is no telling how much more of the stuff was buried there the local electric company had just excavated across the drainage ditch to install underground primary conduits and they had hit several peices and left them sticking up out of the ground I managed to lasso one with a choker chain and used my 4wd pickup to pull it out. It ended up being just short of ten feet long. It didn't look like the right size for what is currently used and after cleaning it up I noticed that the web was labeled Carnagie Steel and dated 1898. The two pieces stacked and welded weigh just a shade under
100 lbs and works well to keep the front end down when the bush hog is raised. It's also handy to push over saplings so they don't scratch my new paint!

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
You need to hang the chains back on it like in the first, (before the paint job), pic. That looked Kool :cool:, (get it ;), cool with a "K" :p , never mind :eek:)...

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Great job.

You did that tractor proud!

I have been doing the same thing with mine since I had to break it apart and built the engine. It looks so much better. I will be sure to get some before and after pics up when I get it finished.

Very nice Orange tractor.!:)

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Let me add my congrats!! All you guys fixing tractors are giving me ideas that I need to start fixing mine up! I did just recieve a new (used) hood that is in much better shape than the one on mine. I believe I'll go out and start working on it now :)!