My take on BX tie down hooks

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
After viewing a couple of different ideas here and elsewhere, I came up with this super simple solution. Took about 45 minutes to make all four, and no welding. The front hooks required installing slightly longer bolts, but I was able to re-use the rear bolts.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Clean, factory looking installation- I might have to copy your idea, if I may.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Clean, factory looking installation- I might have to copy your idea, if I may.
If I was concerned about people "stealing" my ideas, I wouldn't post them here for the world to see. :) Most of my designs are variations on other people's ideas anyway.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
5/16" angle iron & shaped it up?

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
5/16" angle iron & shaped it up?
I used 1/4" because that's what I had. A little thicker probably would have been a little better. Keep in mind though that the bolt heads have to clear the bend in the angle iron. That's why mine don't set EXACTLY where I would have liked them to.

markchief

Mar 26, 2017
East Windsor CT USA
Fed DOT requires chains to be attached to non-removable part of main machine, wrapped around axles w/ capacity of all tie-down components exceeding equipment weight, due to momentum force during a head-on etc. Cops usually don't notice while moving except for weigh stations or other violations. Real issue is collision where another vehicle is involved, liability can be substantial. Also, some states regulate by speed limit on local, state highways. below 50mph. Best to check by route.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I think the "non-removable" description mean to not tie down to something like a hitch insert. Otherwise, everything is removable, even axles. :)

Bruce

BotaTrac

Equipment
Kubota B25D, Kubota L305DT, Kubota L2501D, Ford 681 Select-O-Speed
Mar 16, 2017
Hogwarts Academy
After viewing a couple of different ideas here and elsewhere, I came up with this super simple solution. Took about 45 minutes to make all four, and no welding. The front hooks required installing slightly longer bolts, but I was able to re-use the rear bolts.

Looks factory - well done.

Dieselbob

Equipment
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
If you want to quote the rule book by the letter, very little that moves down the highway would (or should) pass. First, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the DOT rules would apply only to commercial entities. While I am part of a small business, neither the truck, trailer or tractor belong to the business. No way to prove that any of the equipment is involved in a commercial venture. In my REAL job, I work in the trucking industry, and most people would be shocked at how little secures the loads moving down the road. Even the best tie down methods serve mainly to keep the load from falling off, not to keep it from being thrown clear in an accident. Freight that we move in van trailers isn't secured at all, and that includes, steel racks that weigh more than my tractor does, aluminum ingots, rolls of copper coil and rolls of copper wire, all just sitting on the trailer floor. For 17 years we had up to 15 trucks hauling stainless rods, bars and angles all over the country. The shipper demanded full enclosed side kits, so instead of the binder chains being hooked to the rub rails, they were hooked to chain pockets in the trailer floor. Those chain pockets were welded to the trailer crossmembers with little more than a 1 inch bead of weld. Those fancy headache racks the steel hauler have? They serve mainly as a place to hang the chains and binders. In a serious accident, they would just help the load clean the cab off the frame. I guess I could have welded the hooks, on, but who says my welds are any good? At least the bolts have an established shear number. As for accidents, my experience is that if you are even slightly at fault, they will sue you. If you do everything 100% wrong, they sue you. If you do everything 100% right they STILL sue you, the facts be damned. I'm all for being safe, but if I let myself be governed by everything that COULD go wrong, I'd never get out of bed in the morning.

Reactions: 1 user

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I just got a deal on trailer crossmembers.1/8" at most. Its an i beam but still quite light.

Nice looking tie downs. The kubota i used to run at my former place of work had grab hooks welded to frame.

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
Nice work. I might have to do something too.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I took the same approach with different parts - hated wrapping chains around axles and what not! Cost was dirt cheap too!;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA